Cheap Travel Bugs

JDogMonkey

I'm trying to organize 25 individual travel bugs. I don't want to have to buy 25 tags at $4.99 each my plan was to buy the codes but at a minimum order of 50 there is no way I would use the remaining 25 making it basically a waste of money. The two travel bugs I currently own my friend brought for me so I'm all new to this. Any advice is good advice!

5 hours ago, JDogMonkey said:

This is a very good idea. I actually had a chat with some geocaching buddies today and their pretty keen to buy what we don't use.

If you're thinking of buying Geocoin "tracking numbers" for sale, that unfortunately won't work.  You are specifically forbidden to sell "unused codes":

"You may not resell trackable codes. If you own unused codes, let us know! We can apply them to your next trackable series.

If we determine that you have resold trackable codes, we may remove the codes from Geocaching.com and revoke your purchasing privileges.

It’s okay to resell trackable game pieces."

After the coin set is manufactured, you're generally allowed to re-use codes as you like. But the coins must first be minted.  If your intention is to have a lot of the least expensive tracking numbers, you don't even want to enter the realm of Geocoin manufacturing.  There are up-charges to the up-charges. B)

Travel Bugs come with imprinted tracking numbers on their "coins" (the tags or decals) and their own icon, and are named "Travel Bug" in inventory lists.  So they arrive ready for use as you like.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Agree with Max and 99, a sale may be your best bet if a certain number (less than the code option) is needed.

- Standard dog tag Travel Bugs are five bucks, or often less on other sites,  and many sites say that the dog tag is the cheapest option.

When we had our coins made up (what that 50-code order is mostly used for) it wasn't a "looking for a bargain" deal.  :)

2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Check the clearance sale!  Right now Shop Groundspeak has some for $3.99.

Excellent will check them out!

1 minute ago, kunarion said:

Look for a quantity discount.  Or discontinued tags on sale.

I'll keep my eye out.

On 30/06/2018 at 3:11 PM, kunarion said:

If you're thinking of buying Geocoin "tracking numbers" for sale, that unfortunately won't work.  You are specifically forbidden to sell "unused codes":

"You may not resell trackable codes. If you own unused codes, let us know! We can apply them to your next trackable series.

If we determine that you have resold trackable codes, we may remove the codes from Geocaching.com and revoke your purchasing privileges.

It’s okay to resell trackable game pieces."

WTF?! Even if such a restriction on trade is somehow legal (in fact, even more so if it's legal), why would I actually choose to live in a world where this happens?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, coocootoo said:

WTF?! Even if such a restriction on trade is somehow legal (in fact, even more so if it's legal), why would I actually choose to live in a world where this happens?

DON'T JUMP!! Think of the people who would miss you. Not me.  But people would miss you! :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, coocootoo said:

A bit dramatic, don't you think?   :rolleyes:   There's trademark and copyright  rights on items representing the company name, logos, and content. 

Not sure what your reference to the Wild Turkey Federation has to do with this.   I'd pick one up to keep if they made a coin...

• Upvote 2