Hiding a new cache question

OwnedbyCatsAM

Just now, OwnedbyCatsAM said:

Ive had trouble navigating the site on my phone.

You may not be able to navigate the cache submission system with a mobile browser.

(I've never tried to submit a cache listing with a mobile browser before, but I've read reports that indicated that it works only with a desktop/laptop browser.)

56 minutes ago, niraD said:

You may not be able to navigate the cache submission system with a mobile browser.

(I've never tried to submit a cache listing with a mobile browser before, but I've read reports that indicated that it works only with a desktop/laptop browser.)

From what I can tell, the submission process is not optimized for a mobile device.  I've heard of one or two people trying, but it sounds very frustrating.

6 hours ago, Félicie11 said:

Hy, sorry I don't remember lot of my english lessons...

My question: I read that I have to place the cache before creating the cache page and asking to publish, but how I can get the cache-code I have to note on the cache and on the logbook then?

You can create the cache page first (up to and including "Save and Preview". But do not Submit it for review until you've placed the container.

• Upvote 3

@TriciaG answer is perfect.

In addition, I'd like to say something about this part of your post:

On 08/07/2018 at 8:36 AM, Félicie11 said:

There is a really well hidden forum in which you can write in your native language. It is rather oddly named "French-Speaking".

Il y a un forum prévu pour les géocacheurs francophones. Bizarrement, il s'appelle "French-Speaking".

Thanks to TriciaG and Tungstène for their answers.

I tried a bit to see how to create a cache page but I don't get the right URL for photos... the page says it's not valid.

I'll try it again later, I'm not really a geek!

But I find French-Speaking and I will look if other had this problem when I get some free time.

Thanks again!

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:36 PM, Félicie11 said:

My question: I read that I have to place the cache before creating the cache page and asking to publish, but how I can get the cache-code I have to note on the cache and on the logbook then?

Your cache code will be posted on the right upper hand corner of your cache page. You should see it after you submit it even before it's been approved.

12 minutes ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

Your cache code will be posted on the right upper hand corner of your cache page. You should see it after you submit it even before it's been approved.

But you must have your cache in place before you submit it.  

1.  Start your cache page.  You will get the code right away.

2.  Prepare your cache.

3.  Finish your cache page, but do not submit.

4.  Hide your cache.

5.  Submit it.

4 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

2.  Prepare your cache.

4.  Hide your cache.

5.  Submit it.

That is true. I hide the cache before I create the cache page. But I always look to make sure it's within the proper distance from another cache.

13 hours ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

That is true. I hide the cache before I create the cache page. But I always look to make sure it's within the proper distance from another cache.

You can do that but if you start the process of creating the cache page first you can get the GC code and include it in your log book or on the container.  Although a lot of cache listings just have a short and quick cache description, some cache owners like to put in some time to create a good looking, informative cache page and may revisit and revise the cache page several times before it's deemed to be "finished".

• Upvote 1
On 31/07/2018 at 10:49 PM, NanCycle said:

2.  Prepare your cache.

4.  Hide your cache.

5.  Submit it.

I’d add to this, particularly if you’re in a cache-rich area, with unsolved puzzles and multis nearby.  (The finals for these won’t show up on map on the cache submission page.)

1.5. Submit the cache, and ask the reviewer to just check your coordinates.

If this comes back with a negative, time for a rethink...

Edited by IceColdUK
16 hours ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

How do you know the cache GC-code which normally goes to the front page of the logbook, if you open the page later?

4 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Personnally I didn't put the GC code on any of my logbook. That why I place the cache and then create the page when I return home. 

Do you know that caches are published in the GC-code order? That is why so many opens the code long before placing the cache to get it top of the queue.

7 hours ago, arisoft said:

Do you know that caches are published in the GC-code order? That is why so many opens the code long before placing the cache to get it top of the queue.

Hum this doesn't seem to be true in my area because series of cache got published in random order and sometimes with a delay between them. That happened to me more than once and for no apparent reason.

7 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:
14 hours ago, arisoft said:

Hum this doesn't seem to be true in my area because series of cache got published in random order and sometimes with a delay between them. That happened to me more than once and for no apparent reason.

This is something of an "all else being equal" kind of thing. For example, if there are two caches that meet all the guidelines and are ready to publish, then the volunteer reviewers' tools present them in the order of their GC codes, so the GC code that comes first will be published first. And if two caches meet all the guidelines except that they are too close to each other for the saturation guideline, then the one with the GC code that comes first will be published, and the other will be denied until it is moved to a location that does not conflict with the saturation guideline.

But if all else is not equal, then that will determine the order in which caches are published.

7 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:
15 hours ago, arisoft said:

I review caches in the order of how long they've been waiting for their initial review. 

Assume that ten caches are submitted by ten different owners, each one minute apart, and all in the same reviewer's territory.  I open all ten in separate browser tabs, and review them, beginning with the earliest submission.  Cache 1 is in a park that requires a permit, and isn't published until 10 days later.  Caches 2, 3 and 4 have no issues and are published immediately.  Cache 5 has four different issues, so I skip it until I have more time to explain all of them.  The owner responds a week later.  Caches 6, 7 and 8 have no issues, and I publish them on the spot.  Caches 9 and 10 are hidden by two people but they are just 200 feet apart.  I publish the one with the earliest GC Code, and deliver the bad news to the other CO, who takes two weeks to find a different spot.

Since you don't see all the back and forth on caches 1, 5 and 10, it may appear to you that caches are published in random order.  The delay is however long it takes for the listing guideline issue to be addressed.

It gets even more complicated when there is an "invisible border" between two reviewers' territories in the same country, province or state.  One reviewer may be traveling, so if the same CO submits one cache south of the imaginary dividing line and another cache north of that line, they could be published three days apart even though they are physically one mile apart, and there were no issues with either cache.

No system is perfect.  Also, many reviewers are dogs.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
12 hours ago, Keystone said:
20 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:
On 8/2/2018 at 3:30 AM, arisoft said:

I review caches in the order of how long they've been waiting for their initial review. 

Assume that ten caches are submitted by ten different owners, each one minute apart, and all in the same reviewer's territory.  I open all ten in separate browser tabs, and review them, beginning with the earliest submission.  Cache 1 is in a park that requires a permit, and isn't published until 10 days later.  Caches 2, 3 and 4 have no issues and are published immediately.  Cache 5 has four different issues, so I skip it until I have more time to explain all of them.  The owner responds a week later.  Caches 6, 7 and 8 have no issues, and I publish them on the spot.  Caches 9 and 10 are hidden by two people but they are just 200 feet apart.  I publish the one with the earliest GC Code, and deliver the bad news to the other CO, who takes two weeks to find a different spot.

Thanks for the explanation. It sounds to me like  I iils down to the order in which a cache is published is mostly determined by how well the CO complies with the guidelines and if there are local policies which must be verified (requirement of a permit in a park).   It seems to me, that GC-order is not a factor.  The GC code is created when the listing is first created, which may be days or weeks before the listing is submitted for review.  

12 hours ago, Keystone said:

Since you don't see all the back and forth on caches 1, 5 and 10, it may appear to you that caches are published in random order.  The delay is however long it takes for the listing guideline issue to be addressed.

It gets even more complicated when there is an "invisible border" between two reviewers' territories in the same country, province or state.  One reviewer may be traveling, so if the same CO submits one cache south of the imaginary dividing line and another cache north of that line, they could be published three days apart even though they are physically one mile apart, and there were no issues with either cache.

No system is perfect.  Also, many reviewers are dogs.

Maybe it wasn't clear in my initial post but when I wrote the word "series of cache" I was referring to a single CO.

It happened to me (and others) in my area that when a series of example 5 caches got published they get out #3,4,2,5,1 even if with the GC-code it should have been #1,2,3,4,5. And no correspondence from the CO to correct something.

Also in my area it's mostly one single reviewer so no invisible border.

But like you said each reviewer/dog have their method.    

36 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Maybe it wasn't clear in my initial post but when I wrote the word "series of cache" I was referring to a single CO.

It happened to me (and others) in my area that when a series of example 5 caches got published they get out #3,4,2,5,1 even if with the GC-code it should have been #1,2,3,4,5. And no correspondence from the CO to correct something.

Also in my area it's mostly one single reviewer so no invisible border.

But like you said each reviewer/dog have their method.    

I had something similar a few years back. I submitted two caches a couple of days apart and a couple of kilometres from each other, firstly a traditional with the earlier GC code and hidden date, followed by a puzzle with a later GC code and hidden date. The reviewer didn't have any issues with either cache, but the puzzle was published a day before the traditional. The poor guy who got FTF on both had to make two trips from his home some fifteen or twenty kilometres away!

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It seems to me, that GC-order is not a factor.  The GC code is created when the listing is first created, which may be days or weeks before the listing is submitted for review.  

At least it comes to a factor when there is a saturation problem.

14 hours ago, Keystone said:

I publish the one with the earliest GC Code, and deliver the bad news to the other CO, who takes two weeks to find a different spot.

As you see, the earlier GC Code will be served first in that case.

In Finland publishing mostly comes in the GC Code order. No cherry-picking ;)

Edited by arisoft
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

I had something similar a few years back. I submitted two caches a couple of days apart and a couple of kilometres from each other, firstly a traditional with the earlier GC code and hidden date, followed by a puzzle with a later GC code and hidden date. The reviewer didn't have any issues with either cache, but the puzzle was published a day before the traditional. The poor guy who got FTF on both had to make two trips from his home some fifteen or twenty kilometres away!

That could simply be a matter of how the reviewer manages their workflow.   As there are additional requirements which must be met related to puzzle caches a reviewer may prefer to work on all puzzle caches in their reviewer queue as a "batch" rather than switch back and forth between different cache type submissions.  

If you are sure that the cache will get published you can put out the container first and then submit for review. If it's a place were you are unsure, like a lot of unsolved mysteries in the area, permits or far from home you can post the cache and submit for review. But then you must be clear in your note that you want the reviewer to check the coordinates and not publish right away. When you've got a green light from the reviewer you can put out the container and submit it again.

• Helpful 1