Avoiding conflict with mystery caches

coocootoo

I have a cache location in mind which I would need to get specific permission and co-operation for, and for which I would want to create a site-specific container. But there's a mystery cache nearby and while its visible coordinates don't conflict with my prospective location, it seems quite possible that the final coordinates would.

So if the location you choose for a cache happens to conflict with an existing mystery cache, how/when do you find that out?

1. By finding all caches in your area. Mystery caches cannot be more than 2 miles from their bogus position. But multi caches can be more than that. And you can't be less than 161 m from their physical stages as well.

2. By a saturation request. From the help files:

Ask a reviewer to check coordinates

If you’re still unsure if your location is available, ask a local reviewer to confirm.

Tip: It’s a good idea to do this before you place your geocache.

1. Create a cache page with a title like "Coordinate Check".
  2. Add locations as waypoints if you'd like the reviewer to check more than one location. This is similar to adding stages for a Multi-Cache.
  3. Add a Reviewer Note to make sure that the reviewer does not publish the cache page. For example, “Do not publish, this is a coordinate check."
  4. Enable the cache page and wait for your reviewer to reply.

Edited by StefandD
typo
2 hours ago, coocootoo said:

I have a cache location in mind which I would need to get specific permission and co-operation for, and for which I would want to create a site-specific container. But there's a mystery cache nearby and while its visible coordinates don't conflict with my prospective location, it seems quite possible that the final coordinates would.

So if the location you choose for a cache happens to conflict with an existing mystery cache, how/when do you find that out?

You can create your cache listing with the final coordinates for it and ask the reviewer for a coordinate check.  There isn't an automated mechanism for checking if a cache you want published conflicts with the physical stage of a mystery or multi cache as it could be used to "battleship" the location of those caches. 

6 hours ago, StefandD said:

Ask a reviewer to check coordinates

If you’re still unsure if your location is available, ask a local reviewer to confirm.

Tip: It’s a good idea to do this before you place your geocache.

1. Create a cache page with a title like "Coordinate Check".
  2. Add locations as waypoints if you'd like the reviewer to check more than one location. This is similar to adding stages for a Multi-Cache.
  3. Add a Reviewer Note to make sure that the reviewer does not publish the cache page. For example, “Do not publish, this is a coordinate check."
  4. Enable the cache page and wait for your reviewer to reply.

For reference, this comes from the Help Center article Check for minimum distance