Not Getting Favorite Points When Logging

OmNom!

The other day I noticed that when I give a favorite point to a geocache while logging, i will not get 1/10th of a favorite point credit for that cache.  However, If I add a favorite point after I have posted a log I get the 1/10th favorite point credit.  I like to use favorite points.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Thanks.

13 hours ago, OmNom! said:

The other day I noticed that when I give a favorite point to a geocache while logging, i will not get 1/10th of a favorite point credit for that cache.  However, If I add a favorite point after I have posted a log I get the 1/10th favorite point credit.  I like to use favorite points.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Thanks.

I will have to test that next time I award a favorite point.

Other than that potential bug, I do know that a premium member doesn't accumulate points during a period that their premium membership lapses. I have been a premium member for 12 years but there have been times that my premium membership has lapsed for a few days (once for about 3 or 4 months) before I got around to renewing. I currently have 3116 finds suggesting that I should have 312 points (you get one extra for becoming a premium member). But I only have 299. This would suggest that about 130 of my finds were found during periods that my premium membership had lapsed. Or maybe I have been a victim of the same bug you have just pointed out.

I think it is worth investigating.

Edited by Team Christiansen
  • Upvote 2

Hmm.

According to the little pop-up window on my dashboard page (mouse over the ? right of the favorite points remaining), we've accumulated 858 favorite points total.  By my math we should have 864, after excluding finds on our own events and finds on lab caches. 

This bug might explain the discrepancy.

We don't award every FP we earn, so we're not in danger of missing out.  But for those who choose a favorite out of every 10 finds or so, this is an issue.

Edited by hzoi
2 hours ago, hzoi said:

We don't award every FP we earn, so we're not in danger of missing out.  But for those who choose a favorite out of every 10 finds or so, this is an issue.

Yep.  We'll probably never "use up" half our FPs,  but know a couple who spit 'em out soon as they get 'em.    :)

On 6/29/2018 at 12:07 AM, OmNom! said:

If I add a favorite point after I have posted a log I get the 1/10th favorite point credit.

While it should work correctly, I suppose this is the workaround until this is resolved by Groundspeak.

Interesting. I'm posting a screen shot of the favorites module on my profile now, to check up after I find the next cache. Unless it's a complete dog, I'll award a favorite with that log. Well, that's plan, assuming I  remember =;- ) to do it. 

I should go from needing 10 finds for next point to needing 9. But what you're finding is that IF awarding a point with log, the .1 point is not earned.  I'll have one fewer point to assign, and I'll still need 10 finds to earn it.

points.jpg

On 6/28/2018 at 10:07 PM, OmNom! said:

I just tested it. OmNom! is absolutely right. It is a definite bug.

Before submitting a log, I just checked my status. It said that  my "Total Favorite Points was 299" and that my "Logs Until Next Favorite Point" was 1. Then after checking, I submitted a "Found it" log and before posting it, I awarded the cache a favorite point. After posted the log, I checked my favorite points status and the results were identical to what they were before posting a new log -- 299 points and 1 log needed for the next point. It should have said 300 points and 10 logs until next point.

It most definitely needs fixed.

Edited by Team Christiansen
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Team Christiansen said:

before submitting a log, I just checked my status. It said that  my "Total Favorite Points was 299" and that my "Logs Until Next Favorite Point" was 1. Then after checking, I submitted a "Found it" log and before posting it, I awarded the cache a favorite point. After posted the log, I checked my favorite points status and the results were identical to what they were before posting a new log -- 299 points and 1 log needed for the next point. It should have said 300 points and 10 logs until next point.

You had 299.9 points, you earned an additional .1 point with the find, making 300 - you awarded it, making 299.   You should now have  299 points remaining, and 10 logs until the next point

You actually gained .9 points on this transaction!

Viajero Perdido asks an excellent question? ie, logged how ? on an app (which app?), from the site? from other 3rd party software? old v new logging????

Edited by Isonzo Karst
2 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

You had 299.9 points, you earned an additional .1 point with the find, making 300 - you awarded it, making 299.   You should now have  299 points remaining, and 10 logs until the next point

You actually gained .9 points on this transaction!

No.

Before the transaction, I had 299.9 TOTAL points, of which I had awarded 199 points, leaving me with 100.9 points available to award. After the transaction, I still only had 299.9 TOTAL points, of which I had awarded 200 points, leaving me only 99.9 points available to award. Just as @OmNom!, pointed out, I lost 0.1 points by awarding the favorite point simultaneous with a Found it log. 

You do raise a good question, though. I always post logs from the website, never from a mobile app. Usually, I use the classic version, but this time I just happened to have used the new experience. Next time I find a cache I want to give a point to, I will be sure to use the classic version of posting a log as a test.

11 hours ago, Team Christiansen said:

Before submitting a log, I just checked my status. It said that  my "Total Favorite Points was 299" and that my "Logs Until Next Favorite Point" was 1. Then after checking, I submitted a "Found it" log and before posting it, I awarded the cache a favorite point. After posted the log, I checked my favorite points status and the results were identical to what they were before posting a new log -- 299 points and 1 log needed for the next point. It should have said 300 points and 10 logs until next point.

Sorry, forgot to include other important info when confirming a bug, in case tech-support is watching this thread:

Done in the latest version of Chrome in the latest update of Windows 10 on a Microsoft SurfacePro 3. FP was awarded to GC7CCQ6 on 7/1/18 although log was backdated to 6/30/18. 

Ah, Team Christiansen, I misread your post - you're right of course, TOTAL points, not the same available points.

I found a cache today, but with coords well out  and the CO acknowledging that they are, but not fixing them, I just could not bring myself to give a point. DNFed the other one I hunted. 

On staging verified this - IF you assign a favorite at time of logging, you do NOT earn 1/10 point with that log.

Using old logging, on website.

141 Favorite points remaining

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 1
Total Favorite Points: 520

Logging one more find, assigning a favorite WITH the find log, what should have happend

142 favorite points  earned, one assigned with log =

141 Favorite points remaining

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 10
Total Favorite Points: 521

I suspected this a few weeks ago when I did a bulk publish from GSAK. I didn't think much about it at the time but paid attention to my FP count after my last road trip. Yesterday I did another bulk publish of 47 finds, my FP count before publishing was 51. After publishing these finds and giving three favorite points my FP count is 48, something is obviously broken. 

On 7/1/2018 at 10:08 PM, Team Christiansen said:

Thanks for testing this.  Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Interesting thread - I'll be playing with this soon and see what comes up.

As of right now, I'm showing 105 total favorite points earned, with 4 logs needed for the next.  That would add up to 1056 finds, and I currently show 1064 (A bonus when I signed up for premium membership 3 months after signing up for my account?)  I have 69 favorite points yet to award.  So I'm missing 2 fav points?

How I have added favorite points is one of two ways - 

1. - Most common - I log all or most all my finds as Drafts on the phone app (Android), and tap the heart at the time of the draft if I want to mark it a fav.  Once I am at my computer, I go to my Drafts, complete the logs in order of my Finds or Notes, or DNF's, and submit.  It seems that this calculates the fav points correctly.

2. - Occasionally I have gone back to a cache I have already logged and awarded a fav point via the website days later, after I've thought about it and decided it needed a fav point!  This also seems to calculate correctly, as others have stated in previous posts.

I don't think I have ever logged directly on the website without a draft, so I've never awarded a point "at the time of logging" - it's either after the fact, or it's marked fav in my draft from the app.

Edited by CAVinoGal
math fix
1 hour ago, Team Christiansen said:

This reported bug has been confirmed by a few, myself included. I'm curious if anyone from GS has seen this thread and added the issue to the list of to-do's?

They might be frantically trying to decide how to deal with the many cases where this bug affected the FP counts of members. Do they try to run a script to retroactively fix things? Do they give everyone a few bonus FPs as an apology?

Of course, fixing the root bug should be the first thing they do. Has anyone noticed if it's still happening?

19 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Has anyone noticed if it's still happening?

Yes, today I   found a cache, and remembered to award point as I logged it found. Logging from the site, old logging, checking the box in the pane below the logging pane:

Add to your Favorites (# remaining)

Before logging the find, I had 142 points remaining, and Logs until next favorite point: 9.

After logging the find and giving point with log,  I had 141 points remaining, and Logs until next favorite point: 9   <---- this should be 8. 

In short, with any log, you can either gain 0.1 favorite point, or award 1 favorite point. You cannot do both.  

The solution is to not award as logging, but after. This is mostly how I do it, because I forget ;-)

Below screen capture of my stats and favorites before and after logging the find, adding point with the log

favorite point not earned.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 7/27/2018 at 1:31 PM, The A-Team said:

Of course, fixing the root bug should be the first thing they do. Has anyone noticed if it's still happening?

It must be working now, at least with the OLD logging experience. Before logging just a few moments ago, I had 308 total points (with 98 remaining) and 4 more until next point. After logging and giving a point at the same time I had 308 total points (with 97 remaining) and only 3 more untile next point. I got my 0.1 point credit. I will have to remember to try again with the NEW logging experience next time I want to give a point to see if it works. 

Since @Isonzo Karst tried last Saturday, also using the OLD logging experience, and now, it must have been fixed. Can anyone else confirm?

If this problem was ever fixed it has at least broken again. I have noticed that my total favorite points count is too low since some time. Right now, I have 2,912 finds and only 280 total favorite points. There are no gaps in my premium membership status, and have only ever deleted and re-logged once or twice. I came across this forum thread and decided to test it.

I just logged a geocache on the site (with Firefox), old logging, and awarded it a favorite point with the log (by checking the box). Before doing this, I had 2,911 finds, 280 total favorite points and 10 logs until next favorite point. Afterwards, I have 2,912 finds but still 10 logs until next favorite point. Should have been 9 now.

Old logging, from site, Firefox, Windows

Hi ChriBli, sometimes a fixed problem reverts. 

Posting my current favorite points status below. I'll try to remember to award a point  next time I log a cache. 

See what happens. If it's working properly, I  should have 143 points remaining, with Logs Until: 8

144 Favorite points remaining

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 9
Total Favorite Points: 533

We keep track, but JIC this is happening to using the "old" logging (and IE Windows) , adding a FP after logging the find at home  (I check spelling first ;-).

I'll probably be hitting one this week, so I should notice "1" changing...

43 Favorite points remaining

Total Favorite Points: 263

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, cerberus1 said:

We keep track, but JIC this is happening to using the "old" logging (and IE Windows) , adding a FP after logging the find at home  (I check spelling first ;-).

I'll probably be hitting one this week, so I should notice "1" changing...

Total Favorite Points: 263

Headed in the snow for one today and favorited it.  Still using "old" logging and windows pro/IE.

I came up with:

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 10
Total Favorite Points: 264

144 Favorite points remaining

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 4

found cache, logged it, added favorite:

143 Favorite points remaining

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 4

Yes, it's back, if you give a point as you log, you don't earn the .1 pt with that log.  Dang

Strange. I just tried it again:

Finds 2,919

29 Favorite points remaining

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 3
Total Favorite Points: 280

Finds 2,920

28 Favorite points remaining

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 2
Total Favorite Points: 280

Seems to go on and off? I can't help but think that it would be easier to just let the total favorite points equal finds divided by 10, rounded down.