Map loading fail

yenolah

Hi, I have had a stop for a while, but today I wanted to pick up again.
Only problem is that my map (in neither browser) won´t load. A mass of grey and the caches, that´s it.
After 5 minutes some quadrants with roads appear, but zooming in or out gives the all grey again...

Edited by yenolah

This problem has been going on for more than one month if not longer. It has nothing to do with the browser, it has nothing to do with internet speed etc etc etc etc. I have sent emails asking what's going on. Once I got a reply stating they were working on it. The second time I received no reply.  I have many photos of screen shots showing grey pages with nothing but huge over sized cache dots, pages of blocks of grey, and some caches. Never any roads or trails showing. There are also ongoing issues with not being able to upload photos. As a matter of fact I got the same error multiple times when trying to upload a photo to this post that met the size and format guidelines. 

You can't plan for your next day of caching IF you can't use the map the night before or the morning of. It's even more frustrating if you are a paying member. I don't feel I should have to use an APP from another company when I am paying annually already. 

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, yenolah said:

neither browswer

?!?

Have you tried a different style of map?  Pull out the left panel, Set Map Preferences, and try the other option, whatever you're not currently using.  (You haven't said.)  The "Leaflet" side is a misnomer for "Everything but Google", and it uses different program code.  So switching "sides" when your side doesn't work, might work.  There are lots of options on the Leaflet side, including many flavors of the mighty OpenStreetMap, plus excellent satellite imagery near the bottom.  (Notice the unmarked "layers" widget in the top-right corner; use that to experiment.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I opened the maps like I always did. I just want the basic map with the caches on a findable location.
It worked before, so why would I think of all sorts of buttons to push to see the map like before?

And I could not even open other types of maps.

Edited by yenolah
1 hour ago, yenolah said:

I opened the maps like I always did. I just want the basic map with the caches on a findable location.
It worked before, so why would I think of all sorts of buttons to push to see the map like before?

And I could not even open other types of maps.

As a Basic Member, you do not have the option of using Google Maps - so you cannot select "Map Preferences" at the bottom left of the map flyout section.

However, you should have access to other Leaflet maps. At the upper right, click on the layers button and select another map - such as OpenStreetMaps Default. Do you NOT get other map options?

gc-maplayers.thumb.png.9077105cdb9b53fee62bcaee710d0852.png

2 hours ago, yenolah said:

Thanks for the quick replies. I am not the only one then.
I went out and Android map works fine, but I like to plan my trips on the laptop.

Real bummer that the same problem occurs for paying members :(

The default map on the Android app, for Basic members, is Google Maps. That is why the map works there.

The default map on the website, for Basic members, is the Trails map (aka Geocaching) and that is the map type that is having problems. Until the problem is fixed, you'll need to select a different map on the website to see the map with cache icons on it.

2 hours ago, ReillyLovesCache said:

You can't plan for your next day of caching IF you can't use the map the night before or the morning of. It's even more frustrating if you are a paying member. I don't feel I should have to use an APP from another company when I am paying annually already. 

You'll need to use a different map style if you want to see the maps on the website and/or app.  On the website, you can click on "Map Preferences" and then select Google Maps and/or click on the layers icon and select one of the many available map types (see screenshot above).

There's no need to use "an APP from another company". Just click on the layers icon in the map view and select one of the Google Maps options. The icon is at the upper-right on Android and upper-left on iOS, underneath the radar/target icon.

2 hours ago, noncentric said:

You'll need to use a different map style if you want to see the maps on the website and/or app.  On the website, you can click on "Map Preferences" and then select Google Maps and/or click on the layers icon and select one of the many available map types (see screenshot above).

There's no need to use "an APP from another company". Just click on the layers icon in the map view and select one of the Google Maps options. The icon is at the upper-right on Android and upper-left on iOS, underneath the radar/target icon.

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate the info, but I already know how to do what you suggested. Most of my caching is in the parks. I need to see the trails. The default street map on the laptop does not show all the trails, and on my phone/Android the ONLY map that is of any use to me is the problem Trail map. The Street map, Satellite, and Terrain that are the only other choices on my phone do not show the trails. 

I like the user interface on the GC App. I don't want to use another type. I have d/l them out of frustration, and they are poorly designed, and hard to navigate. Not user friendly. Time to get a GPSr I guess. 

Anyway, thanks again. Appreciate your time. RLC

25 minutes ago, ReillyLovesCache said:

The default street map on the laptop does not show all the trails

Which default street map are you using on the website?

If using the website maps, then I'd suggest "OpenStreetMaps Default".  The Geocaching 'Trails' map derives their trails from OSM, so whatever trails you see on the Geocaching 'Trails' map should be visible with the "OpenStreetMaps Default" option. The trails are just a different color on the OSM option.  Or try Thunderforest OpenCycleMap, which has trails a bit more visible than OpenStreetMaps Default.

Yes, it would be ideal for the Geocaching 'Trails' map to work correctly on the website, but until it does then other options are available to enable your planning.

29 minutes ago, ReillyLovesCache said:

I like the user interface on the GC App. I don't want to use another type. I have d/l them out of frustration, and they are poorly designed, and hard to navigate. Not user friendly. Time to get a GPSr I guess.

For the app, I agree.  I've found the Trails map to be useful many times.  If you end up getting a Garmin GPSr, then Free OSM maps are readily available.

1 hour ago, noncentric said:

Which default street map are you using on the website?

If using the website maps, then I'd suggest "OpenStreetMaps Default".  The Geocaching 'Trails' map derives their trails from OSM, so whatever trails you see on the Geocaching 'Trails' map should be visible with the "OpenStreetMaps Default" option. The trails are just a different color on the OSM option.  Or try Thunderforest OpenCycleMap, which has trails a bit more visible than OpenStreetMaps Default.

Yes, it would be ideal for the Geocaching 'Trails' map to work correctly on the website, but until it does then other options are available to enable your planning.

For the app, I agree.  I've found the Trails map to be useful many times.  If you end up getting a Garmin GPSr, then Free OSM maps are readily available.

Thanks noncentric,

I was using the OSM Default on my laptop after the Geocaching Map started acting up, but a few minutes ago the OSM Default started doing the same thing that the Geocaching Map was. So after reading your reply I switched to Thunderforest OSM, and it seems to be fine at this time. I've been researching Garmin GPSrs just have to make a decision. Using a phone really limits the amount of GC time even if you d/l lists in advance the battery still drains. 

Thanks again. RLC

1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

... or a 3rd-party caching app that offers a better choice of maps.

Thanks VP,

I d/l c:geo, and even paid for Locus Pro, but don't like either of them. I really do like the Groundspeak App. When it behaves. I found 425 caches before I realized I had access to a map that showed trails. Once I started using a trail map I kind of became dependent on it. :-) 

1 hour ago, *WoodBadger said:

I am so frustrated with geocaching.com. Maps will not load for more than a month. I waste a bunch of time, then walk away, day after day after day.

Maps seem to be working ok for me.

A bit more information may help us to help you - what OS (WIndows, Mac?) and what browser are you using?  Browse map, or Search map?  Have you tried in different browsers?  I'm on WIndows 10, using Chrome and all seems to be in order....both browse and search maps (though the Search map is slow and clunky, and I prefer the browse map in most cases).

2 hours ago, *WoodBadger said:

I am so frustrated with geocaching.com. Maps will not load for more than a month. I waste a bunch of time, then walk away, day after day after day.

The maps work fine for me on my Windows 7 laptop with the latest Firefox browser.

I believe there have been others who have reported some issues with older, no-longer-supported browsers.

You will need to give more information about your computer/operating system/web browser to get useful help.