Hidden Creatures - progress thread

8 hours ago, EmzyJanezy said:

So how is everybody getting on so far?  Anybody achieved the final award yet? :D

(couldn't see a thread on this yet so I thought I'd start one.  Feel free to ignore / delete if there is one already)

I wouldn't have even known about if if I hadn't see some strange comments about going after hidden creatures in find logs on caches I'm monitoring.

I've only gotten 1 of the souvenirs so far, but anticipate getting all of them before the promotion ends. I'm not in a hurry though, so whether I get them next week or next month doesn't make a difference to me.

2 hours ago, EggsTheBest said:

You can see stats of all souvenirs on Project GC page: https://project-gc.com/Tools/SouvenirList

I never noticed that PGC page before. Very cool!  I especially like seeing the results of the geotour souvenirs.

I went caching with my son yesterday and with the rest of my family today.  My son and I are 1 away from Phoenix.  We're going to try to finish it.  We usually just have Wednesdays to work on it, though, so we'll see.  My daughters got to the Mermaid today.  I doubt they'll finish it, but we'll see.  It's fun so far.

Edited by bulcacher
I forgot something.

this is a fun souvenir set but we are pretty disappointed that it's happening in summer and for a short amount of time - we've found all the nearby caches so we have to go a few miles out which means too many hours in the heat (we don't have a car) so we will be lucky to grab even 1 cache - wish we hadn't burned through so many fruitlessly chasing Pluto...

• Upvote 1

My son and I have found most caches to our respective local areas, so we are planning a major trip South next weekend (7th and 8th).  We hope to get all 100 over the two days as there is a series of 105 down there neither of us have found, plus heaps of others.  Just hoping for reasonable weather as it is midwinter down here.

7 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

My son and I have found most caches to our respective local areas, so we are planning a major trip South next weekend (7th and 8th).  We hope to get all 100 over the two days as there is a series of 105 down there neither of us have found, plus heaps of others.  Just hoping for reasonable weather as it is midwinter down here.

Midwinter? LOL. 99 for me today. 110 in Tucson.  

• Upvote 1

Regarding progress on Hidden Creatures: today I logged a cache and got a notification that I earned the Yeti souvenir. I went to my Hidden Creatures link and saw that indeed Yeti was done, and I had 15 more caches to find in order to reach the next level: Dragon.  The top "progress bar" also indicates that I need to find 15 more caches to reach the level of Dragon.  Obviously it's nothing important to the promotion, but I think it's odd that the progress bar does not match how many more caches you need for that souvenir. I remember now that for the very first souvenir, there was also a green bar even though you only need ONE cache for that souvenir.  Just an observation.

HiddenCreaturesProgressBar.png

Went out caching for the first time since the promotion started.  While logging my finds, I was surprised at how many "You've earned a souvenir" notifications came up on my laptop.  Wound up with 9 of them today.  Fully expect to get them all.  It's kind of cool that they make it easy for the casual cacher to get rewarded too.   

• Upvote 2
22 minutes ago, avejr said:

I already got the Yeti and 7 more caches until I unlock the Dragon souvenir. I hope I can collect them all before I go back home as caches are very far from my home location in the Philippines.

Ooh! I hope you have speedy success all the way to World Turtle!

• Love 1
On 6/30/2018 at 10:27 PM, Max and 99 said:

Regarding progress on Hidden Creatures: today I logged a cache and got a notification that I earned the Yeti souvenir. I went to my Hidden Creatures link and saw that indeed Yeti was done, and I had 15 more caches to find in order to reach the next level: Dragon.  The top "progress bar" also indicates that I need to find 15 more caches to reach the level of Dragon.  Obviously it's nothing important to the promotion, but I think it's odd that the progress bar does not match how many more caches you need for that souvenir. I remember now that for the very first souvenir, there was also a green bar even though you only need ONE cache for that souvenir.  Just an observation.

Technically, you need 50 for the dragon, so the progress bar is correct indicating 35/50. :)  But yes it can be odd, since no one will ever be below the amount of the previous souvenir. The bar would be more meaningful showing only the progress of the next segment.

• Upvote 1

We went out and ended with finding only 2 of 5. We will try again. Some of these micros are mind boggling but with every hide you learn a new trick. We're still working on Kracken. Its like ten billion degrees right now in Tucson so we go later in the day. Once we loose light its virtually impossible with all the thorny trees we have here!

• Upvote 1

I'd been hoping to get fifty C&D caches.  Two-and-a-half- hour drive each way, but I needed to be there for other reasons.  Only got twenty-five caches.  With my nephew, but he's not much help.  Took two hours for the twenty-five caches.  Leaves me eleven for the dragon, and sixty one for the turtle.  We'll see how that works out.

29 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Got the Dragon today!  Only need 49 for the Turtle...  I'm retired now, so maybe I have a chance!  A few more Geotrails around.  But, it's been very hot out.  90's every day for the last week.

Yeah... 70s dew point doesn't help either.  :)

I stumbled into a handful or souvenirs. Kinda surprising to get so many from just a few caches. I found it a little annoying that there's no obvious way to figure out which souvenir is for which accomplishment. Even if you go look at the souvenir itself, the description tells you how many caches it took to get that souvenir, but it doesn't have a link to the promotion where I could see the full list. I had to search for that. (It doesn't help that the list seems random: I have a hard time seeing a turtle as more valuable than a unicorn.)

2 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I stumbled into a handful or souvenirs. Kinda surprising to get so many from just a few caches. I found it a little annoying that there's no obvious way to figure out which souvenir is for which accomplishment. Even if you go look at the souvenir itself, the description tells you how many caches it took to get that souvenir, but it doesn't have a link to the promotion where I could see the full list. I had to search for that. (It doesn't help that the list seems random: I have a hard time seeing a turtle as more valuable than a unicorn.)

There's a link on my profile page that shows them all, and the cache count needed.  Showed up one day--nothing that I loaded.

Edited by GrateBear
4 hours ago, GrateBear said:

There's a link on my profile page that shows them all, and the cache count needed.  Showed up one day--nothing that I loaded.

I'll have to take you word for it. I can't find it. I had to track down the blog, then follow a link or two from there that finally led me to a list. It seems bizarre that every souvenir doesn't have a link to the list as well as a link to the next highest souvenir. I assume there's some technical glitch that doesn't allow links in souvenier descriptions.

• Upvote 1

I am 9 caches away from the Turtle.  I've even located one of them, but I am short and couldn't reach.  I'll be back with a step stool as soon as I get up early enough to do it with little notice.  It's been fun and I'm lucky because I just recently started in the middle of Phoenix so there were lots still to be found.  Next challenge will require more work on my part I think :)

Edited by Melisaco
extra word
On 7/8/2018 at 1:38 PM, BigBlueDot said:

We went out and ended with finding only 2 of 5. We will try again. Some of these micros are mind boggling but with every hide you learn a new trick. We're still working on Kracken. Its like ten billion degrees right now in Tucson so we go later in the day. Once we loose light its virtually impossible with all the thorny trees we have here!

I feel your pain.  It's been so hot in Phoenix you don't even want to think about outside, let alone go into it.

• Upvote 1
On 7/1/2018 at 5:06 AM, DannyCaffeine said:

My goal is to at least get the phoenix. Seeing as I am getting back into the game it's metaphorical in a way :P

Even though I have no chance, the world turtle would be nice as I'm a HUGE Discworld (and Terry Pratchett) fan :)

17 hours ago, dprovan said:

I'll have to take you word for it. I can't find it. I had to track down the blog, then follow a link or two from there that finally led me to a list. It seems bizarre that every souvenir doesn't have a link to the list as well as a link to the next highest souvenir. I assume there's some technical glitch that doesn't allow links in souvenier descriptions.

The link is actually in the 'new' Dashboard page, not on Profile pages. In the left-nav column.

1 hour ago, noncentric said:

The link is actually in the 'new' Dashboard page, not on Profile pages. In the left-nav column.

Thanks for the tip. That explains why I didn't see it. I did go to look at the new dashboard, but I overlooked the link because it's way more prominent than I expected. It didn't occur to me that something so incidental and ephemeral would be the very first link.

17 hours ago, BigBlueDot said:

Why couldn’t Hidden Creatures start in October?? Lol

That's a good question.   September and October are generally good months for geocaching no matter where one lives.  While it may be very hot in Arizona right now,  it's in the middle of winter in the southern hemisphere.  

• Upvote 1