Forum Title / Forum Signature

The Snowdog

I notice that a few of our esteemed members sport some custom text under their name rather than the usual "Premium Member" or whatever. Naturally, I wish to join them. However, changing the "Forum Title" and "Forum Signature" fields in the profile don't seem to have any effect. So how is this accomplished? Inquiring minds and all that...

15 hours ago, Touchstone said:

Logging out and back in usually does the trick.

Let's see...

...edit: nope, neither the change I made to my forum title, nor the change I made to my signature, have taken effect.

Edited by hzoi
22 minutes ago, hzoi said:

nope, neither the change I made to my forum title, nor the change I made to my signature, have taken effect.

After a recent Forum software update, I made an adjustment to my Forum Signature.  That worked fine (I tried it just now, and it worked fine).  Change a signature in this Forum in your user's Account Settings using the drop-down arrow in the upper right corner of the Forum page.  Important: This does not work from the Geocaching.com Profile, use the Forum Account Settings to change the signature.  You can also change Location there.  Or you once could.  It worked for me until I deleted the entire setting for "Location" while trying to figure out a way to edit an Avatar Title.

Everything seems to change/break at any time, so it may at some point be different.  I have to figure out what changed/broke and figure out the work-around, and I then have to post the recent work-around.  It would be better if there was a more "official" way to find out these things.  And a way to get them fixed properly. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

Hmmm, didn't know about that one.  Found it, added a signature (I'm now a "Platinum Member") but the "Edit Profile" link takes you to the geocaching.com profile, and making changes there has no effect on the text that is under your username ("A Tribbo-lite...") in your case.

38 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

Hmmm, didn't know about that one.  Found it, added a signature (I'm now a "Platinum Member") but the "Edit Profile" link takes you to the geocaching.com profile, and making changes there has no effect on the text that is under your username ("A Tribbo-lite...") in your case.

Yeah.  The Avatar text (Forum Title) is stuck at what it was when the forum software was changed.  I can't be anything but that Tribbo-lite ever again, with a huge backlog of Forum Titles!

The good news is that as a Platinum Member, you have people on call to change it for you.  And it's read to you in a cool British accent.  Awesome!

19 minutes ago, hzoi said:

not yet -- let's see if logging out and logging in did it

edit: still no

Just to be clear, you were at this specific page and you clicked "Save"?

Untitled-21.jpg

I haven't messed with "View Signatures", but if you like signature lines, that might as well be on, too.

There was also a "Location" setting on that page, which at least worked at one time.  But on mine, I managed to delete it, so now it's gone.

Edited by kunarion
39 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Just to be clear, you were at this specific page and you clicked "Save"?

Ah - no.  Foolishly, I was still using the forum signature bit over on my profile settings page.  Thanks for the link.

Apparently my sig has too many links for forum policy, so I guess I'll just keep it as is.