Would YOU move a TB that contained cremains / ashes?

EmzyJanezy

I have checked the forum to ensure it is acceptable to include a person's ashes with a TB, because I would like to do this with my mother who had always wanted to travel, particularly to India and other parts of South Asia, but I am curious to find out how people generally feel about it.  I wondered if the majority of people would be okay with touching or moving it, or whether they would feel uncomfortable about the whole thing.

So my question is simple - would YOU move a TB that contained cremains / ashes?

Thank you :)

Edited to add: A very tiny amount of ashes would be encased in glue inside a well sealed bison tube, clearly marked that it contained human cremains.  A photograph of my mother would accompany the bison tube.

Edited by EmzyJanezy
11 minutes ago, EmzyJanezy said:

I have checked the forum to ensure it is acceptable to include a person's ashes with a TB, because I would like to do this with my mother who had always wanted to travel, particularly to India and other parts of South Asia, but I am curious to find out how people generally feel about it.  I wondered if the majority of people would be okay with touching or moving it, or whether they would feel uncomfortable about the whole thing.

How comfortable are you about the TB going missing? It WILL go missing, if not the first few days then later but very few TB last a very long time (look at threads about it on these forums).

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, on4bam said:

How comfortable are you about the TB going missing? It WILL go missing, if not the first few days then later but very few TB last a very long time (look at threads about it on these forums).

I'd already thought about that and have discussed it with my siblings and we collectively decided we were all fine with that.  Its just a little piece of her :D  We still have a whole box full!

General theory between us is that she wanted to travel, and so at least she will have travelled a bit.  And if she doesn't make it to India we can always release another.

Not really sure anybody would want to KEEP her :D but yes I know she will eventually go missing and none of us are expecting her to come back!  I warned my siblings she may not even make it out of the county I live in!  And that she could even disappear immediately.  All were fine about it.

I was mainly concerned about how others felt about moving a TB that contained somebody's ashes.  I am concerned she won't get moved very often if a lot of people would feel uneasy about having it in their possession.  Plus I don't really want a load of abuse from people sending me messages if they are freaked out by it.

While I think it's kind of strange to put human remains in a cache, I understand what you are trying to do. Just another thought though, are there laws concerning moving human ashes across borders? There may not be where you live but geocaching is a global hobby, so think about that too.

Would I move it? Don't know, it will probably depend on how it looks when I find it.

• Helpful 1
11 minutes ago, on4bam said:

While I think it's kind of strange to put human remains in a cache, I understand what you are trying to do. Just another thought though, are there laws concerning moving human ashes across borders? There may not be where you live but geocaching is a global hobby, so think about that too.

Would I move it? Don't know, it will probably depend on how it looks when I find it.

Thank you for your advice.  I am going to clearly mark the TB to indicate it contains human ashes.  The ashes will be set in glue inside a sealed bison tube.

I did a search on this forum and previously people thought it was a great idea and others gave examples of TBs like this that are already in circulation.  A wider search on the internet revealed even more - relatives, pets etc, all in circulation.  Some even used a tub that could be opened so that geocachers could sprinkle the ashes, and there were hundreds of photos and lots of activity!  

Actually, re-reading my OP, maybe I didn't make it clear that I wasn't intending on sending a huge box of ashes, just a little sprinkling encased in glue inside a sealed bison tube, with a credit card sized plastic photo of her on a keyring to accompany it, and a tag that clearly states what is inside the tube.  (will go back and edit)

Edited by EmzyJanezy

If it looks like that I doubt you'll have any problems (and no, I didn't think you would send off the whole box). Maybe some (very) religious people might object but they are free to leave it for the next one ;)

Edited by on4bam
2 hours ago, EmzyJanezy said:

would YOU move a TB that contained cremains / ashes? . . . A very tiny amount of ashes would be encased in glue inside a well sealed bison tube, clearly marked that it contained human cremains.  A photograph of my mother would accompany the bison tube.

We're about to take my mother in law's urn to Germany after already moving it once from Texas and Arizona, so I guess technically we've already been doing it.  What's one more?

5 hours ago, EmzyJanezy said:

I not only move TBs, I place them into decent caches, log them, post photos and stories, and in no way carry them around with me forever.  So, yeah.  My guess is that most of the Geocachers who insist online they will trash TBs, are no longer in this Forum.  :ph34r:

There are many posts about human remains (also pet remains), including "Uncle Elwyn", an easy-to-open glass jar which has been carried around by various people for "Visits" for the past 4 years.  That one is a "joke" and NOT human remains.

Look at links in those posts.  Some have stalled for years, no logs.  TBs are routinely mishandled, and "lost" (and/or openly sold on ebay).

If visits to caches appeal to you, remember that you can log visits. I'd approve of a TB Owner keeping a cherished TB themselves.  Placing it in a cache, not so much.  There are stern warnings from cachers to not place anything precious to you, everywhere except in the "cremains" threads.

Cremains in sealed Bison Tube? Strangely, the OP never placed his "cremains" TB idea, although most every post said it was perfect.  Everyone but me. B)

Human Cremains as a Travel Bug?

Appropriate or way too freaky?

Anyone ever find Cremated Ashes?

Edited by kunarion
28 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Remembered seeing this asked at least once before, and found it here, here, and another here as examples.

I'm kinda on the fence, with part of me thinking it's just okay, and part thinking it's kinda disrespectful when you think of some of the moldy, damp caches it may sit in for a while. 

Mum would have loved the idea, which is why I think it wouldn't be disrespectful.  And I don't see much difference between being in a cache somewhere or being mixed in with the dirt somewhere or indeed sitting in my sister's airing cupboard!

The fact she would have liked the idea makes it the right idea in our minds.  

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I not only move TBs, I place them into decent caches, log them, post photos and stories, and in no way carry them around with me forever.  So, yeah.  My guess is that most of the Geocachers who insist online they will trash TBs, are no longer in this Forum.  :ph34r:

There are many posts about human remains (also pet remains), including "Uncle Elwyn", an easy-to-open glass jar which has been carried around by various people for "Visits" for the past 4 years.  That one is a "joke" and NOT human remains.

Look at links in those posts.  Some have stalled for years, no logs.  TBs are routinely mishandled, and "lost" (and/or openly sold on ebay).

If visits to caches appeal to you, remember that you can log visits. I'd approve of a TB Owner keeping a cherished TB themselves.  Placing it in a cache, not so much.  There are stern warnings from cachers to not place anything precious to you, everywhere except in the "cremains" threads.

Cremains in sealed Bison Tube? Strangely, the OP never placed his "cremains" TB idea, although most every post said it was perfect.  Everyone but me. B)

Human Cremains as a Travel Bug?

Appropriate or way too freaky?

Anyone ever find Cremated Ashes?

So are you saying the other people who have talked about it have even been joking or didn't end up doing it?

At the end of the day, its a tiny little piece of her.  A bit like sending out a toenail I guess!  We accept the TB may end up lost but if that little portion of ashes was scattered somewhere they would also be lost.

I guess I'm a bit disheartened since previously everybody (not just on here - on Instagram and other websites etc) seemed to think it was a "cool idea" yet now after thinking about it I have decided to go ahead it is seen as a bad idea.

Unless I'm getting the wrong gist.

My main question was whether or not people would be freaked out if they found a photo with a small bison tube containing a sprinkling of ashes, well secured, or whether they would be okay with it and willing to help it on its way.

19 minutes ago, EmzyJanezy said:

My main question was whether or not people would be freaked out if they found a photo with a small bison tube containing a sprinkling of ashes, well secured, or whether they would be okay with it and willing to help it on its way.

Check out the links and decide.  I'd suggest keeping it yourself (visit caches), where you have control over it.  Remember that you'll almost certainly never see a TB again, once placed. 

Lately, mine vanish almost immediately (or without ever being logged except for the Drop).  I have no particular sentimental attachment to the TBs, and it's still pretty annoying that these things don't "travel" anymore.  Yeah, likely stolen because the taker thought the item was "cool". :rolleyes:

Edited by kunarion
8 hours ago, EmzyJanezy said:

Thank you :)

Edited to add: A very tiny amount of ashes would be encased in glue inside a well sealed bison tube, clearly marked that it contained human cremains.  A photograph of my mother would accompany the bison tube.

Initially, part of me (a small part) would say "eww." But then after thinking about your reasoning, I think it is a great idea. I certainly would be priviledged to move it.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Team Christiansen said:

Initially, part of me (a small part) would say "eww." But then after thinking about your reasoning, I think it is a great idea. I certainly would be priviledged to move it.

Aww, thank you :)

Being completely honest, if I found a similar trackable, my first feeling would be a little creeped out, but I would still move it on, albeit probably fairly swiftly lol.  So long as I felt it was secured well and there was no chance of anything leaking out!

Mum had always wanted to travel and was saving up for her dream trip to India and South Asia when she died of cancer in 2015 aged 69.  Since then we have been at a loss as to what to do with her ashes.  When I told my sister I was going to release a TB of a photo of Mum she suggested we could include a tiny vial of ashes so I checked online to see if it was allowed and saw that quite a few others have done it, so thought why not.  We are certain Mum would have loved the idea had it been suggested to her when she was alive.  

I can understand how it won't be for everybody though.  I will make sure the contents of the vial are clearly marked and that the tube is securely sealed.  

Anyway, thank you for your nice reply :)

I would have no problem with this.   I would probably have her travel with me for a while, if I were going anywhere interesting.   I don't think you're really getting a lot of negative feedback, more like just bringing up possible issues to think about.   Go for it! 

56 minutes ago, EmzyJanezy said:

Its still going though, after 15 years, which is pretty great for a trackable, so I guess there's one way to ensure longevity for your TB!

Could be.  But there are more examples of similar things disappearing from the game, than endure.  I sent out a set of five keychain trackables, and one is still in play.  But it's not because that one was designed any differently than the others.

There's a long thread of ideas for keeping TBs in play.  One part of the plan is the attached item should not be something coveted by people.  So, not something that someone collects.  You place a "penguin" keychain or whatever, and a finder suddenly shouts, "OMG!  COOL! A PENGUIN!", she collects everything "penguin".  And keeps the penguin part of the TB.

Or you buy some little toy for a dollar, for a TB attachment.  And after 5 years, that kind of toy is selling on ebay for $100, used.  He gone.

Edited by kunarion
41 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Could be.  But there are more examples of similar things disappearing from the game, than endure.  I sent out a set of five keychain trackables, and one is still in play.  But it's not because that one was designed any differently than the others.

There's a long thread of ideas for keeping TBs in play.  One part of the plan is the attached item should not be something coveted by people.  So, not something that someone collects.  You place a "penguin" keychain or whatever, and a finder suddenly shouts, "OMG!  COOL! A PENGUIN!", she collects everything "penguin".  And keeps the penguin part of the TB.

Or you buy some little toy for a dollar, for a TB attachment.  And after 5 years, that kind of toy is selling on ebay for $100, used.  He gone.

Yeah, I've already read that entire thread :D

And ignored it partly because I have daughters who had unwanted toys to donate to my trackable fund!

But I'm hoping to release some obscure things just to see which ones last the longest.

Well I did it.

And a new geocacher found it, messaged me to say how beautiful my mum was and how proud they were to be moving her on her journey, didn't log the trackable and then disappeared / left the site!

That was months ago now so somebody obviously decided to just keep her!

3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

No. But if it were just a TB, sans ashes, I would be very happy to move it about and add photographs (as I always do). I particularly wouldn't take a TB containing ashes overseas, as I wouldn't want to be pulled up by customs wanting to know what this powder is.

Just for info the powder is set solid in glue inside the tube ?

• Helpful 1
On 1/9/2019 at 1:11 PM, EmzyJanezy said:

And a new geocacher found it, messaged me to say how beautiful my mum was and how proud they were to be moving her on her journey, didn't log the trackable and then disappeared / left the site!

That was months ago now so somebody obviously decided to just keep her!

So sorry about that.  Hopefully, she'll turn up again someday.  It occasionally happens that trackables reappear in the game after being missing for months/years.

Not sure if you'd have any luck, but you could send the cacher a message asking them to drop the trackable into any cache they come across, even if it's a cache they've found before. If you can get them to put the trackable out there, then there's a chance another cacher will find it and get it back traveling. Doesn't matter if the cacher you contacted logs it or not, as the next cacher can grab it and get things squared away.

12 hours ago, noncentric said:

So sorry about that.  Hopefully, she'll turn up again someday.  It occasionally happens that trackables reappear in the game after being missing for months/years.

Not sure if you'd have any luck, but you could send the cacher a message asking them to drop the trackable into any cache they come across, even if it's a cache they've found before. If you can get them to put the trackable out there, then there's a chance another cacher will find it and get it back traveling. Doesn't matter if the cacher you contacted logs it or not, as the next cacher can grab it and get things squared away.

Yes thanks, I have tried this several times over the months but just getting no response. I presume they aren't receiving my messages :(