Establish default open app or website

rragan

In iOS 10, opening a coord.info URL would open it either in the app or in a browser. If in browser you could pull down and choose Open in app and that setting would persist. If in the app, the high upper right in tiny font said coord.info. Tapping that would open in the browser and open in browser would become the default. In this way users could have a preference. 

With ios11, the above no longer works. Coord.info URLs, for example in notification emails, always open in the app and the text in the upper right to switch default is gone. The Open in Browser action on the cache page does just that but does not change the default (same as in ios10). 

I rarely use the Geocaching app being a Cachly afficionado. Open in Browser from notification emails is ideal for me since I can tap the GPX File button offer an easy way to store the new cache into an offline list in Cachly. Now I have to deal with opening the extra step of loading the Geocaching app, scrolling down, Open in Browser just to get to the point where I used to be able to get with a tap of the link in the email. Please restore the capability to change the default. 

Have you tried long pressing the coord.info link in the notification email? That should open an action sheet that gives you a choice of where to open the link, including in Safari. Choosing to open the link in the browser also serves to establish a default to the browser.

The long press option for a link from an email is a workaround, but I have two additional comments:

1. It only addresses links; not accessing "open in browser" from other apps (e.g., cachly), which will then require going through the steps rragan mentioned above.

2. There should be a setting in the app that allows the user to toggle whether the coord.info link opens in the browser or in the app.