Send to GPS not working

lady_xythis

1 hour ago, lady_xythis said:

Is anyone else having problems with the "Send to GPS" function? It worked fine for me up until yesterday. It can see that my GPS (Magellan) is connected, but when I click the Download button, nothing happens. 

Try a search for "communicator plugin" on these forums, there's plenty of info. Surprised it was still working ;)

1 hour ago, lady_xythis said:

Is anyone else having problems with the "Send to GPS" function? It worked fine for me up until yesterday. It can see that my GPS (Magellan) is connected, but when I click the Download button, nothing happens. 

That feature is going away.  See the hundreds of posts in this Forum about "Send To GPS", to read all about it.

You can instead click "GPX File" on a cache page, and save the file in the "geocaches" folder of most Magellan devices.

Or see threads about Magellan, such as this one, for more info:

lady_xythis

I just experienced the same thing. It worked fine for me too until it didn't just now. Magellan Exploits GC. Geocaching sees my gps, says it's ready for download...but nothing happens when I click download. Tried restarting computer, re-attaching gps to computer...all the usual tricks. My mom and I have both had trouble with these units not maintaining functionality when they upgrade versions. I'm hoping this is temporary but I'm going to check out some of the referenced info about 'send to GPS'. Good luck.

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 2.36.15 PM.png

2 minutes ago, M. Hawkins said:

I'm hoping this is temporary

It's not. It was announced years ago and gradually phased out by just about all browsers. There are thousands of postings on these forums in 10's of threads over the last years just search for "communicator plugin".

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, M. Hawkins said:

I'm not usually on these forums and I will check out some of the posts, but do you have a quick answer to why they are phasing out this function? Is it geocaching.com that is phasing it out?

The plugin is based on NPAPI technology from the 1990 and can be a security risk. That's why browsers started to remove the functionality and why it's not coming back.

Since you are a premium member you'd better use pocket queries or look into using lists.

If you insist on using singular GPX files yo can still download the GPX file and manually copy to the right folder on your GPS.

Edited by on4bam
1 hour ago, M. Hawkins said:

You've been a great help. That saved me a pile of time and frustration and muttering. I will looking into lists and pocket queries. Thanks.

Pocket Queries will allow you to load an entire townsful of caches (or about 1000).  Pretty handy.  For a Magellan GPS, there will be a separate folder for "Geocaches" and "Waypoints".  Unzip a PQ for the two files.  Someone  with a Magellan may provide the exact steps if there's a problem.

I can't advise how to use "Lists" with a Magellan GPS.

2 hours ago, Mn-treker said:

So it seems that send to GPS is dead for all units now.

There must still be many who run it just fine on old systems.  I'd bet TPTB can see which functions are in use.  Shut it off and the opposite of clear up all the gripe would occur.

If the button would redirect to a page that explains how to transfer cache data without the plugin it would clear up the (almost) daily questions why it "suddenly" stopped working. I hate to think about the digital safety of the systems where it still works and I sure hope that these people don't do their banking business  on the same systems.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, on4bam said:

If the button would redirect to a page that explains how to transfer cache data without the plugin it would clear up the (almost) daily questions why it "suddenly" stopped working. 

I wish it did!  I'm guessing there are plans to change those buttons to a better function, so the buttons are a kind of place holder while all the kinks are worked out. Well, I hope there's a plan.  Is there?  I can't even tell.  Wishful thinking. B)

7 hours ago, on4bam said:

I hate to think about the digital safety of the systems where it still works and I sure hope that these people don't do their banking business  on the same systems.

Yeah.  Also the site looks terrible.  I pulled it up on my Windows Vista PC last night to play with "Garmin Communicator", and the site is a mess with the old browsers.

Edited by kunarion