Garmin Oregon 700 zero log co-ordinates

I have noticed that all downloaded logs on the Oregon 700 from previous finders have the co-ordinates N00 00.000 E000 00.000 with a meaningless distance of, for example "3708mi".

I am wondering what is the purpose of these co-ordinates? Are they supposed to show the location of the cacher who logged the find or just the distance of each cache from an arbitrary start point?

Or should they not be zero at all?

Any ideas would be welcome.

Alex

Some time ago you could add coordinates to logs. But as far as I know nowadays it's not possible any more. I guess the function was removed a couple of years ago when the the site updated and the HTML format for logs was changed to Markdown format.

Maybe it's a remnant of this?

26 minutes ago, StefandD said:

Some time ago you could add coordinates to logs. But as far as I know nowadays it's not possible any more. I guess the function was removed a couple of years ago when the the site updated and the HTML format for logs was changed to Markdown format.

Maybe it's a remnant of this?

I remember years ago you could add coordinates I think that option is very long gone. I can't imagine a recent GPS like the Oregon7** series would still support this.

I'm not in the habit of going to the log pages, I've logged via API since it became available but logs with coordinates... Can't say I have seen them in years and even then, the ones I've seen can probably be counted on 1 hand.

Why add coordinates anyway? Traditionals have given coordinates and for multi's, mysteries, Wherigo's it's best not to post them :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Why add coordinates anyway?

Newby gets his first cache published and his listed coords are way off. Experienced cacher finds the cache maybe 200 or 300 feet off and posts the coordinates. Maybe newby checks and posts a change coordinate log or he falls off the radar and is never heard from again. The coordinates posted by experienced cacher may be useful to others trying to find. I have found several caches from coords posted by other cachers. But with smartphone cachers replacing old GPSr cachers, you don't see those logs as often.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Team Christiansen said:

Newby gets his first cache published and his listed coords are way off. Experienced cacher finds the cache maybe 200 or 300 feet off and posts the coordinates. Maybe newby checks and posts a change coordinate log or he falls off the radar and is never heard from again. The coordinates posted by experienced cacher may be useful to others trying to find. I have found several caches from coords posted by other cachers. But with smartphone cachers replacing old GPSr cachers, you don't see those logs as often.

We see a NM and mention of correct coordinates here. Mostly with a reviewer update (TD or even archive if <161m from another cache/wp). As I said, haven't seen it used in ages.