Valley of the Giants

Geo Quest

There was one there. Offhand, I don't know if it still there. Although a relatively small tract of Old Growth, the trees are immense and worth the trip through a maze of roads to get there. I did some photography for the World Forestry Center and their Old Growth Forest Exhibit a number of years ago. Spent six months wandering the Old Growth forests of Oregon and Washington. So it's something close to my heart. icon_smile.gif

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

I tried going to the Valley of the Giants BGC (i think it was 9/00), but was turned away about 6 miles out by the security detail hired by a logging outfit.

If there still is logging up there, it's probably best to go during the weekends or when the fire danger is extreme to avoid the log trucks and said overzealous security.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

I was able to make it to Valley of the Giants on Sunday, July 20th. It takes longer to drive there from Falls City than it does to hike the entire trail. It is a very beautiful area and I highly recommend the trail and geocache. If you want to see massive old growth but don't like the crowds at Opal Creek then this is your ticket. Now.... when can I find the Hellhole?

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something."

-- Plato

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Quest:

I was able to make it to Valley of the Giants on Sunday, July 20th. It takes longer to drive there from Falls City than it does to hike the entire trail. It is a very beautiful area and I highly recommend the trail and geocache. If you want to see massive old growth but don't like the crowds at Opal Creek then this is your ticket. Now.... when can I find the Hellhole?

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something."

-- Plato

Cool!! I put this one on my Must Do List. Nothing like the big trees!

akind: Yes, you take the road that goes to Valsetz from Falls City to get there. It is kind of hard to get to though. Valsetz is gone and so is the lake. I stopped by the BLM office is Salem and picked up directions to it. They have a free pamphlet available.

-- Plato