Deleted All Drafts by accident

dadndaughter

I was way behind in my logging and had several hundred drafts that I was working my way through (a few more each day). Tonight I was working in the New Page version of drafts (in the past I always opted out and used the old version) and accidently clicked Delete All instead of deleting only one cache. ALL of my drafts are gone!!!! Is it possible for geocaching.com to restore ALL my drafts that were deleted today? Why oh why wouldn't they have a followup button called ARE YOU SURE? when you select Delete All. IMHO it is a poor design to have the Delete All button so close to anything else you might click. My drafts covered several GPS units so it is not possible for me to simply upload my current geocache_visits.txt file to get back all of the unlogged caches.

So sorry that happened!

Your best bet might be to contact GS via their Help Center:  HERE

Honestly, I think the odds are slim that they can restore them, but hopefully they can do something.

That is something I've worried about happening myself, as I often have dozens of Drafts waiting for me to get caught up on logging.  I've started a habit of copying all records from my geocache_visits file to a cumulative file on my computer. It doesn't help for Drafts that I save within the app though, so if I have a lot of Drafts then I'll do a scrolling screenshot on my phone so I'll have some backup, just in case.

That stinks!

Yet another reason to promptly log. BTW, never noticed a delete all link/button. I'd there is one, it would be beneficial for a prompt/alert to display something similar to 'Are you sure you want to delete XXX drafts?'. If it already does that, oh well - you were warned.

20 hours ago, HHL said:

Actually there is a confirmation:

I have too many Drafts right now, so don't want to test this, but can you tell me:  Is the "OK" option the defaulted one?  If so, then it would better to have "Cancel" be the default option.  That is something that can be set-up when coding the specifics of a dialog box, correct?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, noncentric said:

That is something that can be set-up when coding the specifics of a dialog box, correct?

Sure, that is easy, but I think to remove the "OK" option completely would be even better, this way you don't have to take responsibility for what you are doing.

Reminds me of a Pink Floyd song:  "Mamma's gonna keep baby healthy and clean."

9 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

Sure, that is easy, but I think to remove the "OK" option completely would be even better, this way you don't have to take responsibility for what you are doing.

Apparently, HHL removed his post entirely.

But I don't see why it couldn't be defaulted to the 'safer' option, especially if there's no "undoing" the action. It's not like submitting the wrong log type, where you can simply go back and edit it to make it right.

I will say that I'm very careful when deleting anything on this site though. The 'old' field notes page says "Clear all drafts" and "Bulk Delete", which was confusing to me at first when I checked mark some entries and expected to find a "Delete All" vs "Delete Selected".    New user might wonder what is the difference between "clearing" and "deleting".

Hi noncentric,

I understand what you are saying but if you have ever worked with UNIX OS, GSAK and similar SW you know, one click and that's it.  There is no "are you sure".  I have seen above scenario many times, users not reading what's displayed on the screen, just clicking.  Same moment they realize, last backup is x-month old, oh sh..t., and now?

Since it can't be my fault, let's see who can be blamed, why isn't there an automatic backup, why are the buttons so close to each other, what a bad design, and so on.

It is really bad if you loose data, no doubt, but take it as it is and try to get help to fix your problem.

5 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

Hi noncentric,

I understand what you are saying but if you have ever worked with UNIX OS, GSAK and similar SW you know, one click and that's it.  There is no "are you sure".  I have seen above scenario many times, users not reading what's displayed on the screen, just clicking.  Same moment they realize, last backup is x-month old, oh sh..t., and now?

Since it can't be my fault, let's see who can be blamed, why isn't there an automatic backup, why are the buttons so close to each other, what a bad design, and so on.

It is really bad if you loose data, no doubt, but take it as it is and try to get help to fix your problem.

I'm not trying to blame anybody else, just mentioned a minor change that might help reduce the chances of it happening.  I'm familiar with data loss and have myself had to go through re-doing a lot of work when myself, or someone else, accidentally deleted things that shouldn't have been deleted.  When there are opportunities, like making an easy setting for a dialog box, to help reduce such losses, then what's the harm in proposing them.  It's not there isn't already an "are you sure" dialog box. There already is.