Vantage Point connection to Geocaching.com

pprass

Is there a connection problem between Vantage Point and Geocaching.com?

When I click on the Geocaching icon (in the Partners section of the tool bar) and then click on "Pocket Queries", or "Create Filter" or "Geocaching Live" or "My Account" - I get this message "An error occurred during connecting to the Geocaching.com server"

I can click on the first item - "Publish logs from my GPS.." and that works fine.

I am using Windows 7.

Thanks for any advice

Peter

The way, how API programs connect to the servers has been changed recently and without modification to the application it will not work any more. I can not verify if it is the problem here but they removed support for a standard called TLS 1.0 on June 30th.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:53 AM, arisoft said:

The way, how API programs connect to the servers has been changed recently and without modification to the application it will not work any more. I can not verify if it is the problem here but they removed support for a standard called TLS 1.0 on June 30th.

Yep, over here I posted about how I tested and confirmed that VantagePoint relies on TLS 1.0, which has now been disabled on the geocaching.com servers. As a result, this part of VantagePoint will no longer work.

If VantagePoint uses the windows part WinHTTP or ony of the classes that depend on it like ServerXMLHTTP.6.0 or WinHttpRequest  , it might be possible to change some registry entry's. These are libraries in Windows that give programmers a standard way to communicate with websites; and it is very likely that VantagePoint also uses it.

These libraries are updated to also use TLS 1.1, 1.2 etc but are not automatically set to do that; so they will still try to use TLS 1.0 is nothing is set. You can however customise this behaviour by setting some register entries in windows, so it automatically uses TLS1.1 or 1.2

This can be done 'automatically'  if you use the 'download'button onder the 'easyfix' title n

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-a-default-secure-protocols-in

I dont have VantagePoint, so I can not test it for you.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:12 AM, Kalkendotters said:

If VantagePoint uses the windows part WinHTTP or ony of the classes that depend on it like ServerXMLHTTP.6.0 or WinHttpRequest  , it might be possible to change some registry entry's. These are libraries in Windows that give programmers a standard way to communicate with websites; and it is very likely that VantagePoint also uses it.

These libraries are updated to also use TLS 1.1, 1.2 etc but are not automatically set to do that; so they will still try to use TLS 1.0 is nothing is set. You can however customise this behaviour by setting some register entries in windows, so it automatically uses TLS1.1 or 1.2

This can be done 'automatically'  if you use the 'download'button onder the 'easyfix' title n

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-a-default-secure-protocols-in

I dont have VantagePoint, so I can not test it for you.

Interesting thought. However, I implemented these settings and it didn't change VantagePoint's behaviour. It still tries to connect with TLS 1.0, so it probably falls under this:

This update will not change the behavior of applications that are manually setting the secure protocols instead of pass the default flag.

...or, in other words, the developers hard-coded the value into the software. <_<

There are several VP's on eBay. There were several different strains of it with different maps for different PND, Outdoor, and Map combinations. Multiply in "freshness" and it's entirely possible there are four. There's a Triton 400 right now with some of the software included on CD for $22 + 9 and it'd be pretty hard to resist splitting the cost of the hardware in a way that workd fairly. I probably have ohter devices to be added to GPSBabel, though. There are a few Tritons in that general space.
But I'm pretty sure the API that VP used to use for Waypoint download from GC have gone away or are about to go away so you may just be changing sinking ships.
There's also the issue of license serving. If it's like the later Mapsource, you can't (easily) do a fresh install that workd because it tries to call a Garmin server for an actiation key and the conmputer gives them one. Once that licensing computer got lost in the third move or something, they allowed a license generated by hand but they were really grumpy about it and then chanced the policy to "no further activations". So youre going to have to find out that if it's in "no activations" if that means there's a path that actually makes the software useful without the license server.

Sorry that what seemed like an easy question became a complicated answer with lots of dead ends and buzzkill answers instead of jackpots and old. I've been recently told that's apparently my contributing gift to this forum. :-(

• Helpful 1