Premium -- is it worth it?

randomactsofkindness

Hello, is it possible to send me a free trial membership code? Could you tell me ifa there are sometimes actions about the membership? And last question. Is there a different if you take membership in the app from geocaching or if yo take it on the website of geocaching? Thanks.

9 hours ago, Seesamfisher said:

Could I get a trial code please. 

I get confused about what "free ones" means, because when logging in the homepage as Basic Member, you will be able to access all caches apart from Premium Only (less than 5% on average).

Sent!

Check your profile email, please.

I don't understand why geocachers would not eventually buy Premium membership. Geocaching can't run without money. Okay, I understand trying out geocaching for awhile without becoming a member to see if this is for you (and with the few finds, many here are still understandably doing that), but with the thought in mind, that if I like this I will join and support geocaching. That's what I did. I tried it out for awhile, but knowing that if I continued I would pay for a membership. It wasn't for any extra benefits, but to pay to support the hobby. I figure if people can afford to buy a phone and then are willing to spend money to pay for a data plan, they can afford to join.

It would be interesting to have the percentage of Premium members per country to compare. My experience here in Australia, shows most local geocachers are members. But reading here, it appears this is not so in all countries.

Edited by Goldenwattle
13 hours ago, hpreece said:

I am trying to do a geocache with my Scout Troop this Friday but unfortunately since last weeks planning meeting the geocache planned has been upgraded to a premium.  Can anyone give me a code to get a free trial please?

51 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Sent!
Check your profile email, please.

OK, this will be unpopular in this thread, but I feel that I should point this out.

I am the LAST guy to ever want to stop people from advancing in the game and I think the Premium Trial is a great thing. Go up the list and read my previous post in this thread.

BUT....You say that you plan to take your Scout Troop to a cache this Friday, which has recently been placed into 'Premium' status.

To respect the Cache Owner, you have to consider WHY he or she did that. One of the reasons people make caches 'Premium' is to, for lack of a better word, 'protect' them from incidental cachers who may have just heard about this, grabbed the app, signed up for free and headed out. The idea is that the more you invest in the hobby in not just money, but time, enthusiasm and commitment, the better the chance that a cache and its contents will 'survive' an encounter with you.

Again, this IS NOT intended to demean or degrade any Basic Members, and just plunking down thirty bucks doesn't at all guarantee that a Premium Member isn't a jerk anyway, but there are so few things COs can do to give their creations a fighting chance, that in many cases 'Premium-Only' status makes sense.

In THIS case, the cache was CHANGED to 'PMO'. That suggests that there may already have been problems with it, and the CO might not appreciate you bringing a dozen or so kids who aren't invested in the game to see it.  Even if YOUR KIDS are OK, when they go and tell their friends about the nifty box in the woods...........

I speak from experience. I'm a long-time Scout Leader and a Geocaching Merit Badge Counselor.

So, please consider this. Maybe contact the CO and ASK if it's OK. Otherwise, you just might be negating, overriding, neutralizing a step deliberately taken.

You might just want to skip ...that...cache.

Thanks.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
57 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I am the LAST guy to ever want to stop people from advancing in the game and I think the Premium Trial is a great thing. Go up the list and read my previous post in this thread.

BUT....You say that you plan to take your Scout Troop to a cache this Friday, which has recently been placed into 'Premium' status.

To respect the Cache Owner, you have to consider WHY he or she did that.

Agreed.  To boot, the person who's "trying to do a geocache with my Scout Troop" has no finds themselves.  

With the code given, a member with no finds can lead a bunch of non-member kids to a cache now pmo . 

It may have already had issues with others similar, and made pmo so it doesn't happen again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1