Premium -- is it worth it?

randomactsofkindness

I think I seem to have a bug or something with my app. It seems to show all caches and I'm able to log them. So I'm not sure if I should submit a report for the app. I was told basic members wouldn't be able to access caches of higher difficulties.

Screenshot_2018-05-03-09-50-43.png

• Upvote 1
On 4/26/2018 at 7:03 AM, OmnibusBrian said:

Most of the time I'll go out with my Kids, each of them got theyre own account (and my Dog, who does not own a account, yet)

Is there a way to log premium onlys for them?

Yes, Basic Members can log Premium Caches here:  www.geocachingadmin.com   Type in the GC Code, then click the "Log" button to the right of it.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:13 AM, jjceraftery said:

I’m not a premium member. I bought the app years ago for $10. I see caches on the map I can’t open because I’m not a PM. 

Wanted to try the premium to see if it’s worth paying for. 

Just an FYI - As a Basic Member, you would still be able to see all non-PMO caches on the website.  You would see more caches on the website than you'd see on the app, with a Basic Membership.

On 4/30/2018 at 6:28 AM, L0ne.R said:

I got curious about the people in this thread who got a free trial, did they become PMs? Counting the people who got a free trial before March 30 2018, I get 30 people. 5 of the 30 are currently PMs. 25 of the 30 reverted back to basic members. That really surprises me, because it seems  80% didn't find PM worth it.

Did you check whether all of those 30 accounts activated their free trial and/or how many sound like they're app cachers?  And if they are in Canada or New Zealand, where the app doesn't have the Type/Diff/Terr restrictions within the app?  I think some cachers want the free trial to see all non-PMO caches in the app, which CA/NZ cachers can do without Premium Memberships. I also think that app cachers don't notice the other benefits of PM that are mostly accessed on the website, like PQs, Advanced Search, Bookmark Lists, etc.

37 minutes ago, monkohunter said:

I think I seem to have a bug or something with my app. It seems to show all caches and I'm able to log them. So I'm not sure if I should submit a report for the app. I was told basic members wouldn't be able to access caches of higher difficulties.

That's because you're in Canada, as I mentioned in another thread.

3 hours ago, monkohunter said:

For example, is this a PMO cache?

No, it is what's called an "Advanced" cache.  "Advanced" caches can be viewed on the website by all members (Basic and Premium).  But to view "Advanced" caches in the app, a Premium membership is required.  The Canada/New Zealand test allows Basic Members to see "Advanced" caches in the app.

A PMO cache can be viewed only by Premium Members.  In the app, "PREMIUM" in blue appears to the right of the GC code for such caches.

Hi,

We're brand new to geocaching and will be trying it out for the first time tomorrow.  Our area has a few caches to find but many are greyed out and need a premium account to participate.  

Not sure if we want to go full premium at this early stage.  Is it worth it?

Brad

6 hours ago, noncentric said:

No, it is what's called an "Advanced" cache.  "Advanced" caches can be viewed on the website by all members (Basic and Premium).  But to view "Advanced" caches in the app, a Premium membership is required.  The Canada/New Zealand test allows Basic Members to see "Advanced" caches in the app.

A PMO cache can be viewed only by Premium Members.  In the app, "PREMIUM" in blue appears to the right of the GC code for such caches.

This is what I see on the website vs the app. So I guess the Canada deal is basically free premium without the download off line option?

PicsArt_05-04-11.20.09.jpg

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, monkohunter said:

This is what I see on the website vs the app. So I guess the Canada deal is basically free premium without the download off line option?

PicsArt_05-04-11.20.09.jpg

If you want to enjoy the unlocked version you probably shouldn't ask about it and just enjoy it. There are always bugs and loopholes in apps like this and are hard for them to fix one small thing without causing another issue. I've reported a few security holes in the app and access to the API but still haven't heard anything back and that was almost a month ago. I don't think they have the technical support to handle some of these things. There are apps not listed in their API partners using their system to make apps for geocaching. It's one of the things I was trying to report. 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, monkohunter said:

So I guess the Canada deal is basically free premium without the download off line option?

Not exactly.

It's more using the official app without Basic Member limitations.

Your guessing don't account for Favorites, Pocket Queries, Routes and many other useful options.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Not exactly.

It's more using the official app without Basic Member limitations.

Your guessing don't account for Favorites, Pocket Queries, Routes and many other useful options.

But I don't think I would find any of those options useful. I just need a map the description and the log. No need for the other stuff. Not sure why I would want to favorite a cache.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Jpn8 said:

If you want to enjoy the unlocked version you probably shouldn't ask about it and just enjoy it. There are always bugs and loopholes in apps like this and are hard for them to fix one small thing without causing another issue. I've reported a few security holes in the app and access to the API but still haven't heard anything back and that was almost a month ago. I don't think they have the technical support to handle some of these things. There are apps not listed in their API partners using their system to make apps for geocaching. It's one of the things I was trying to report. 

Yea you're right. I'm probably not the only one with the bug, just the only dummy bring it up in the forums. What's API?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, monkohunter said:

But I don't think I would find any of those options useful. I just need a map the description and the log. No need for the other stuff. Not sure why I would want to favorite a cache.

YOU may not find Premium Membership features useful, but plenty of PM's do.  Perhaps you will want some of those features after you've been caching a while.

Regarding "Favorites" - as with other aspects of geocaching, you can learn more about it if you Read through the resources already mentioned to you in this and other threads.  For now, just have fun with what you're doing.

2 hours ago, monkohunter said:

Then premium membership probably is not worth it to you.

For me, access to PMO caches is one of the least significant benefits of premium membership. The other benefits are far more important.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, monkohunter said:

Yea you're right. I'm probably not the only one with the bug, just the only dummy bring it up in the forums. What's API?

Application programming interface it's on the technical side. Basically if you access the geocaching app API you can make an app with any features you want if you know what you are doing. There are a few modded apps geo apps out there I tried to report but they didn't reply back. I'll message you later about it.

Hi everyone.

I've been away for ages having had kids who, while being beautiful and amazing human beings, have been a drain on my time and resources.  (A wonderful drain, but a drain nevertheless).

Now they are old enough and also tech savvy enough to show me how to use my own mobile phone we have been able to go out together and find a few caches.  We pottered about the local parks and down the canal and found several in the last few days and they've loved digging around tree roots while I've looked out for passers by.

A lot of things have changed in the last 6 or 7 years and I was wondering if getting a premium account was worth the money, its a bit late and I've looked at what you get extra but it's alte and I can't take it all in. 

Is there anyway of trying it out first before you buy?

Thanks for your help

41 minutes ago, Jpn8 said:

Is there a rule against making new accounts every 30 days and using it with a free premium trail to find premium caches but logging them on a basic member account?

I don't know if there is an explicit rule against it but accounts are tied to a primary email address and unless someone also uses a new email address GS would quickly catch onto to someone that is trying to game the system.   The free 30 trial premium membership is something that GS has done which allows community volunteers to give out a free membership to new, basic users.  The volunteers are under now obligation to provide that membership to anyone asking for one, and I suspect that if gaming the system by creating a new account every month became common place, many volunteers might decide to stop giving away  free temporary memberships.   It would be a shame if something like that happened due to the selfishness of someone that wanted to get something that many geocachers have been shelling out ~$30 a year for many years for free.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Ollrich1909 said:

is there a way to receive a free membership trial when youve been a premium member already but havent renewed? i wish to download all my logs to gpx, cause i wanna make a good looking profile. only my GF has premium atm.

I have not looked in a while but i am pretty sure if you were a premium member in the past, or used a trial, a new trial membership will not work.

Edited by BlueRajah
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, BlueRajah said:

I have not looked inn a while but i am pretty sure if you were a premium member in the past, or used a trial, a nee trial membership will not work.

its okay i found a way to export it. i exported all caches my gf found.load it into c:geo and deleted all the caches i havent found (we found all the caches i have found together) so i can export my new gpx to gsak :) but thanks anyway

1 hour ago, sarahpringle said:

I am a scout leader in the UK and taking my scouts out, could a volunteer send me a free trial code for premium so we can see the difference. Also without premium can you only find a max of 3 caches? Thanks

Even a Basic Member can find all the caches (except PMO) using the homepage. The limitation you refer happens with the official app... but only on a given location, if you move to other location far enough, you will see other caches (all Traditional and with lower Difficulty and Terrain).

Check your email, please.

1 minute ago, TeamMinionNl said:

Thank you. I activated it but i still only see the normal ones and not the premium ones? Am i doing something wrong?

Your profile already appear as PM to me and everybody else, so I suggest you log-off and login again both with your profile and the homepage/app.

Hey everyone,

my girlfriend and I heard of geocaching and went for it last weekend. We really enjoyed our trip and the search for the caches and we definitely want to continue this.

What we noticed, like many others before I guess :-), that many caches are blocked behind the premium membership. 

Our question is, is there some kind of trial membership, so we could try the premium features? 

Also:

We used the official geocaching app. Are there many geocachers using the app or should we get a GPS tracking device?

Thanks in advance!

31 minutes ago, FrancisUndBorni said:

What we noticed, like many others before I guess :-), that many caches are blocked behind the premium membership. 

Our question is, is there some kind of trial membership, so we could try the premium features? 

Even a Basic Member can see/find all the caches (except PMO) using the homepage. The limitation you refer happens with the official app.

Check your email, please.

Edited by RuideAlmeida