Premium -- is it worth it?

randomactsofkindness

1 hour ago, RuideAlmeida said:
On 2/22/2018 at 10:08 AM, basllow said:

Could I ask for a trial as well? 

Check your email, please.

In other news, RuideAlmeida  continues to be awesome.

23db6b.jpg

Edited by hzoi
the science behind tagging continues to elude me
  • Upvote 2

Hi...I have been involved since Christmas as a way to get my husband with a very bad back outside and exercising...we found our first cache together today :D He initiated the question about the premium membership and I'd love a free trial code to check it out if someone is willing to provide me with a code..  We only use my phone app not a GPS but I've found 4 so far and I live in a pretty small town.  Thanks in advance...I'm excited I found this new hobby!!!

Is premium worth it : surely yes : make life easier and give access to all caches.

Unfortunately if you do geocaching in family (I have two boys who likes to go outside for geocaching) you have the option to pay for each members or to not let them recording the premium caches ... Will it be possible to consider family premium subscription or event better if the person are leaving the same address to only one subscription !

2 hours ago, ericp212 said:

Is premium worth it : surely yes : make life easier and give access to all caches.

Unfortunately if you do geocaching in family (I have two boys who likes to go outside for geocaching) you have the option to pay for each members or to not let them recording the premium caches ... Will it be possible to consider family premium subscription or event better if the person are leaving the same address to only one subscription !

Any basic member can use one of the several backdoor methods for logging finds on premium-only caches.  It's the solution for not having a "family account" feature.  There are several ways to access the log page.  One of the easiest is to go to geocachingadmin.com, enter the cache's GC Code in the box provided, and then click the "log" button.

• Upvote 3
On 28/07/2017 at 10:34 PM, randomactsofkindness said:

I don't generally have much money for such things (nor do I currently), but I'm wondering for the future: Is the Premium membership worth it? I use my phone, not a GPS....if that matters.

Mainly wondering about all those caches around that are grey. And...are they higher quality? Because it seems like a lot of the ones that are visible to me end up being fairly low quality -- though I have found a few really good ones that weren't premium.

For a family who didn't have much money a few years back this would have been such an inexpensive way of entertaining the children. We only found Geocaching last year and we absolutely LOVE it. My husband and I go caching on our own but we also go out as a family and have even got my mother in law on board. We are in the UK and most caches are premium, there doesn't seem to be the same respect for caching as there is in the US which is ashame. Premium in that case was really a must especially as the quality changed significantly for us. 

Compared to going to the cinema, bowling or any other activity for the whole family it is cheaper, healthier, something can last all day or just to fill half an hour. Its so much more cost effective as a family. 

I have never looked back and only wished we had this available when we were a very deprived family a few years ago. 

23 hours ago, rlscott said:

I haven't been caching long, for a little over a month. I am in LOVE with geocaching, I feel like this game is made just for me. I didn't want to go Premium at first until I knew if I would stick with it.  I realized about a month in that I'm probably not stopping anytime soon and have just begun hiding caches. 

I did the annual membership, $30. I figured...how many times do I blow $30 on my lunch break? Or how much would I spend on other hobbies...really not bad. For a whole year. Upon becoming Premium, I discovered puzzle caches. OMG. If I already didn't love geocaching, this took it to a whole new level. Plus I can now see multi caches (which I haven't tried yet but seem really cool).  Plus I've found a few difficulty level "3" caches that really weren't that difficult, i.e. one was a new cacher's first hide in a tree and not sure why it was 3...but I couldn't see it as Basic. Plus now I can "favorite" caches which is cool. I usually don't got for paying for upgrades just so I can do additional things, but I get it, $$ has to come from somewhere for the Geocaching.com site to stay running and logging service to even exist, plus this isn't buying extra moves on Candy Crush, it's a cool get-out-and-enjoy-the-outdoors game. So I would definitely say it's worth it, if you are really into it and see yourself doing it long term!

And you didn't even mention the #1 (to me) reason for becoming a premium member:  pocket queries.  

• Upvote 1
On 3/20/2018 at 10:28 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

And you didn't even mention the #1 (to me) reason for becoming a premium member:  pocket queries.  

TBH, if mystery and multi caches were discovered with premium membership, then the cacher was probably relying on the app, so it's not surprising that PQ's would not have an impact. PQ's seem to be more impactful with cachers that use the website a lot.