Premium -- is it worth it?

randomactsofkindness

I don't generally have much money for such things (nor do I currently), but I'm wondering for the future: Is the Premium membership worth it? I use my phone, not a GPS....if that matters.

Mainly wondering about all those caches around that are grey. And...are they higher quality? Because it seems like a lot of the ones that are visible to me end up being fairly low quality -- though I have found a few really good ones that weren't premium.

18 minutes ago, randomactsofkindness said:

Is the Premium membership worth it? I use my phone, not a GPS....if that matters.

My husband and I recently embarked on the geocaching adventure.  He got the premium membership, I did not.  We use our Android phones and the official geocaching app, and I was using another app our son told us about allowing me to see some of the higher terrain/difficulty caches and log the premiums we did find together using hubby's app.

It took 3 months for me to get frustrated enough (when caching on my own or out with a group) with missing so many caches, that I am now premium also.  $30 for a year is not much for this hobby, and it's much less frustrating when I can see the same details as everyone else!!  For me, it is worth it.

In the end, only you can determine if the Premium membership is worth it, for YOU.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

My husband and I recently embarked on the geocaching adventure.  He got the premium membership, I did not.  We use our Android phones and the official geocaching app, and I was using another app our son told us about allowing me to see some of the higher terrain/difficulty caches and log the premiums we did find together using hubby's app.

It took 3 months for me to get frustrated enough (when caching on my own or out with a group) with missing so many caches, that I am now premium also.  $30 for a year is not much for this hobby, and it's much less frustrating when I can see the same details as everyone else!!  For me, it is worth it.

In the end, only you can determine if the Premium membership is worth it, for YOU.

haha! I very much understand that!! That's my dilemma too...and yes...$30 really isn't bad for a year...if I end up with the $30 that isn't already set aside for something. haha

Since the OP is on PEI, I looked to see how prevalent Premium Member Only (PMO) caches are.  Only about 8% of the caches on PEI are PMO. Of course, there are many benefits of Premium Membership besides the ability to view PMO caches, especially for app users.

Basic Members are limited in how many and/or what types of caches they can view via apps, even if the caches are not PMO. Those restrictions are removed for Premium Members. The Help Center outlines how the official app behaves differently based on membership level HERE.

There are other benefits of Premium Membership, which are listed HERE, that can make searching and planning cache hunts easier.

Good to see that the OP has a chance to try out a Premium Membership. Just wanted to make them aware that the benefits extend beyond just seeing PMO or Advanced caches on the app.

• Upvote 4
On 7/31/2017 at 1:44 AM, noncentric said:

Since the OP is on PEI, I looked to see how prevalent Premium Member Only (PMO) caches are.  Only about 8% of the caches on PEI are PMO. Of course, there are many benefits of Premium Membership besides the ability to view PMO caches, especially for app users.

Basic Members are limited in how many and/or what types of caches they can view via apps, even if the caches are not PMO. Those restrictions are removed for Premium Members. The Help Center outlines how the official app behaves differently based on membership level HERE.

There are other benefits of Premium Membership, which are listed HERE, that can make searching and planning cache hunts easier.

Good to see that the OP has a chance to try out a Premium Membership. Just wanted to make them aware that the benefits extend beyond just seeing PMO or Advanced caches on the app.

+1

On 7/31/2017 at 5:44 AM, noncentric said:

Yes, thank you!! And I actually travel a LOT, as my family has a band....so I end up only being on PEI part of the year.

49 minutes ago, tetley glc said:

Yes premium membership is way better than basic. Loads of better caches can be found!

The good caches are kept for premium members by premium members. No such thing as a free lunch!!! ;)

Really?

Might be different in your area, but we've yet to find a pmo cache that was "better" than any other. 

Throw in a few pmo guardrail/parking lot hides and that kinda ends that thinking for us.   :D

Many of the best caches today (some you've even done  - if you value FPs as "good"...)  are/were placed by basic members. 

Of Virtuals prized today, quite a few of the COs are basic members.   That doesn't seem like a "free lunch" to me...   :)

Luckily those basic members can still go after good caches (other than pmo) by simply using the site.

• Upvote 4
15 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Really?

Might be different in your area, but we've yet to find a pmo cache that was "better" than any other. 

Throw in a few pmo guardrail/parking lot hides and that kinda ends that thinking for us.   :D

Many of the best caches today (some you've even done  - if you value FPs as "good"...)  are/were placed by basic members. 

Of Virtuals prized today, quite a few of the COs are basic members.   That doesn't seem like a "free lunch" to me...   :)

Luckily those basic members can still go after good caches (other than pmo) by simply using the site.

Our area is saturated with traditional caches - one CO has planted over 550 locally! But, some are in a real sorry state, with broken containers, and soaking logs. The CO isn't maintaining them, so very slowly they are being archived. The main problem with this, is there a few good cache locations left, as these are blocking them until archived. When I went premium a few months ago, I got access to loads of good well maintained caches, so in my case, going premium was the best thing I've done, and if I hadn't, I would be pretty well over and done with caching by now.

Edited by tetley glc
5 hours ago, tetley glc said:

Our area is saturated with traditional caches - one CO has planted over 550 locally! But, some are in a real sorry state, with broken containers, and soaking logs. The CO isn't maintaining them, so very slowly they are being archived. The main problem with this, is there a few good cache locations left, as these are blocking them until archived.

550 caches doesn't seem like a reasonable number for an average person to maintain.

I'm sure this has been discussed before.  I would think if a CO (Basic OR Premium) had a certain # or % of their caches archived for lack of maintenance, the rest of their caches might be in jeopardy of archiving, and that CO barred or probated for a period.  I don't propose limiting the # of caches a CO can hide, as long as they can demonstrate they can keep them reasonably maintained.

Responsible maintenance is one of the reasons I started this thread.  I KNOW I cannot reasonably maintain many.

• Upvote 1

please look past the fact that this is my first post and that i havnt set up my avatar yet.  I am trying to find a premium trial as i am looking for something to encourage my kids to get outside more.  its summer, and pokemon go only worked last year lol.  i used to geocache back before premium existed, and upon looking in my area there are a ton of premium caches but only 2 or 3 that are 1.5 or lower.  we are about to go out and find these with the dog (yay summer and going outside).  I looked around for a free trial but couldnt find anything legit. 

the kids named the account, please no judgement lol.

9 hours ago, diamond_octopus said:

please look past the fact that this is my first post and that i havnt set up my avatar yet.  I am trying to find a premium trial as i am looking for something to encourage my kids to get outside more.  its summer, and pokemon go only worked last year lol.  i used to geocache back before premium existed, and upon looking in my area there are a ton of premium caches but only 2 or 3 that are 1.5 or lower.  we are about to go out and find these with the dog (yay summer and going outside).  I looked around for a free trial but couldnt find anything legit. 

the kids named the account, please no judgement lol.

That's odd, I looked at ten pages past one of your finds and the majority seem to be 1.5 or lower.

Around twenty pmo hides out of those ten pages.   Cache dense, ten pages is only around two miles.

Sure you're not confusing "premium" caches with those that are just non-traditional and/or  above the 1.5 limit ?

Edited by cerberus1
additions
On 8/4/2017 at 6:41 PM, tetley glc said:

Yes premium membership is way better than basic. Loads of better caches can be found!

The good caches are kept for premium members by premium members. No such thing as a free lunch!!! ;)

Agreed, although it is a controversial issue.  Many who place gadget caches or homemade caches or expensive or unique containers make them premium, thinking the caches are less likely to be lost or damaged.  In my area, premium caches are on average slightly better, although the quality covers the gamut.

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, elphyrafire said:

Please help! 

Premium membership on the app is 7$/month.

Premium membership on desktop is 9$/3 months. 

Are they the same? Are they interchangeable???

I emailed the help desk and cant get a straight answer. 

Premium membership applies to the account, not the device you're using. They are the same, the price differs like in any other membership: the longer you sign, the cheaper per month it gets.

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, elphyrafire said:

Please help! 

Premium membership on the app is 7$/month.

Premium membership on desktop is 9$/3 months. 

Are they the same? Are they interchangeable???

I emailed the help desk and cant get a straight answer. 

Is that the iOS app?

Premium Membership applies to your account.  Personally, I would purchase through the website.  I recall reading that iOS users have had issues when purchasing their PM through the iTunes Store.  Purchasing through the website will avoid the middleman (app store).

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, noncentric said:

Is that the iOS app?

Premium Membership applies to your account.  Personally, I would purchase through the website.  I recall reading that iOS users have had issues when purchasing their PM through the iTunes Store.  Purchasing through the website will avoid the middleman (app store).

It's the android app. Google play store. 

I guess I'm asking... if i get it via website at almost 1/3 the cost, will the premium features show up on the app? Thanks!

1 hour ago, HCompleto said:

Premium membership applies to the account, not the device you're using. They are the same, the price differs like in any other membership: the longer you sign, the cheaper per month it gets.

Thanks. I'm assuming then, that people would be dumb to upgrade through the app store. the price on the app (in GooglePlay) is triple the price on the website. One is $8/month.  One is $3/month.

It made me think they are two different companies.

9 minutes ago, elphyrafire said:

It's the android app. Google play store. 

I guess I'm asking... if i get it via website at almost 1/3 the cost, will the premium features show up on the app? Thanks!

To answer your question - Yes.  If you buy via the website, then your account will be "Premium" and you'll see premium features in the app.  You will need to logout and log back into the app though.

• Upvote 1

Hi folks

Brand new to this. A fellow scout leader was explaining it to me at a national camp 2 weeks ago so I thought I'd give it a try. Found my first 2 today in my town. I like the idea of mystery ones but not sure if it's for me. I do cycle a bit and might be a good way of picking new routes to cycle - target caches. 

Would it be possible to get a trial period before I start forking out cash (excuse the pun).

Also have an idea for a hide - landmark building that I'm involved in so maintenance not a problem. But want to find a few different types first to get a better feel for the game. 

51 minutes ago, SteveMac42 said:

Thanks for the code. I just tried it there and got an unspecified error. Then tried it again and it says it's already redeemed. But I'm still a Basic Member. Any ideas?

DId you log out and back in again?  When I look at your profile, it says you are a Premium Member.

37 minutes ago, noncentric said:

DId you log out and back in again?  When I look at your profile, it says you are a Premium Member.

I did - on both the website and phone and it still said Basic. Now without logging out it's upgraded to Premium. Must have been a glitch. Thanks.

Would it be possible to get a free trial?  I am enjoying geocaching so far.  I have been using my phone which has been limited by the basic membership.  I just received the Garmin Etrex 10 as an early birthday present because we are camping at Mount Carleton this weekend. I have 2 days to figure everything out!!  Thank you for your time. :) 

It's nice that there is a thread like the one here.

Premium certainly is worth it if you cache a lot. It might bo net so necessary if you are more off a casual cacher. Also some areas have a high density of Premium Only caches (which might be annoying if they are only LPC equivalents).

The thing I tell the people I introduce to the game is "don't buy it untill you feel you need it".

9 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Please check your email.

Thank you so much for the free trial.  I agree with TheVoytekBear if you just go once in a while or don't care which ones you find you might not need it. I think that after this weekend we will be hooked.  If of course we can figure out the Garmin lol.......

13 hours ago, Ruby_Doo said:
23 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Please check your email.

Thank you so much for the free trial.  I agree with TheVoytekBear if you just go once in a while or don't care which ones you find you might not need it. I think that after this weekend we will be hooked.  If of course we can figure out the Garmin lol.......

I started geocaching in 2007 and got the premium membership after just a couple of months.  I've had it on auto renew ever since.  Even though I geocache infrequently (I probably have averaged around 30 finds a year since 2011)  the benefits of pocket queries, some other features that I frequently use, and the knowledge that I'm helping in a small way to keep the site going and improved is totally worth it.