Really new- questions on Android apps

olympus68

1 hour ago, olympus68 said:

Are there apps that can be used on Samsung pads?

I don't know anything about Samsung pads, but here's a list of Android applications written by API partners:

https://apidevelopers.geocaching.com/all-api-partners/

I looked at one free app and they appeared to require access to all my files and images. Is this normal?

A lot of apps allow you to post your logs directly from the app, including uploading photos. I would expect that kind of functionality to require access to your files and images.

Are there apps that can be used on Samsung pads?

The Official Geocaching App works fine on a tablet, but in portrait mode as if it were on a phone.  It doesn't do everything the web site does for free.  But it's a decent App, and it has the Message Center built-in.

Locus Maps (one of the API partners) is a mapping App that also does Geocaching.  You can try out the free version of that.  It's a complicated thing to use only to find a Geocache or two.  But it works in landscape mode (suitable for a tablet) and the extra screen area is nice for organizing the interface.  Plus on Samsung, Locus connects to Garmin Chirp, kind of cool if you ever do a Multi that has Chirp stages.

Is your tablet connected to cellular service?  If it's wifi-only, that greatly affects what you can do for free, with either App.  Maybe with Locus, for example, browse on the web site to a cache page, read the page, then enter the coordinates into Locus.  That could work.  I used to connect to a Hotspot, start navigating to a cache, and either App provides guidance all the way to the cache as long as the tablet doesn't go to sleep in the process.

If you want an App that does crow-flies guidance without accessing files or images, look at "Spyglass" in the Store.  The free version lets you type coordinates and get distance and bearing.  You could get the coords from the web site.

Edited by kunarion

Permission to access the file system is routine.  It lets apps do what they need to do (store and show map tiles, for example), and in the case of free apps, download and show ads.

In general, anything that runs on an Android phone will also run on an Android tablet.  I run the same map/caching app (Locus) on both, and love being able to "plan tomorrow" around the campfire on the big screen, then execute the plan with the small and portable one.