MIA for a long time

ptityeti

I have a travel bug that I released in October 2010. I dipped it in a cache near home (Belgium) and left it in a cache in Nepal. Since that moment, the TB has been in the wild.

Two weeks later, somebody took it and carried it all the way to Scotland where he left it in a cache in February 2011.  In March and April 2011 the cache was found by three cachers and then... nothing. The cache went missing  and was eventually archived by a reviewer. Well, too bad. Those things happen to TBs.

Surprise, surprise... in October 2017 somebody discovered the remains of the cache and the tag of the TB. So after over six years of being missing it is now travelling around in Europe.

Which made me wonder... do we have any idea of the TB that went missing for the longest time before being recovered? There must be better stories out there.

Little bonus: the cache in Nepal was the last one I logged myself. Afterwards I logged a cache in Sweden in September 2014 that I accidentally stumbled upon. I restarted logging caches in August 2017, two months before my TB would resurface...

Edited by ptityeti
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

The thread directly under yours says  "TB has returned - 12years, 5months, 24 days".    :)

That thread is returned to owner, not returned to circulation.

We picked up a travel bug in October of 2011 that had been last logged January of 2006 (70 months).  It was listed as being in someone's hands and we found it in a cache.  That would be longest break we have seen on a trackable.

That TB bounced around until 7/2014 before being picked up and disappearing.