Bogus Logs

I know this has been discussed previously, but a newer form has surfaced in my area. It involves "cachers" who generally have only a few "finds" to their credit, listing a cache with a string of DNFs as "found." Like many,  I often put a watch on some of my DNFs, particularly if I suspect the problem is a missing cache rather than my own ineptitude. If someone finds it, I try and return and search more diligently. Thus false logs become a big time-waster. However, one curious phenomenon is that when I check the profile of some of these false finders, the last visit is listed as "never." How can this be if they are members logging on various cache pages? Perhaps a reviewer or forum power user can explain? 

When a cacher is using a "phone App", the profile will not add a "visit".  A visit in this case occurs when the web page for a cache is opened using a web browser.  Apps, some GPS devices, API software, whatever, they are not opening the web site.

The default cache log in the Official App is "Found".  Most new cachers who log my caches, possibly using Apps, log "Found" if they arrived in the general area, even if the cache itself is deemed missing.  It's not how I roll.  If I arrive at a cache site but don't sign the log sheet, I don't log a "Find", because of what you mentioned and for other reasons.  I kinda wish they'd cut it out. B)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On 6/17/2018 at 12:55 PM, geckoboy49 said:

I know this has been discussed previously, but a newer form has surfaced in my area. It involves "cachers" who generally have only a few "finds" to their credit, listing a cache with a string of DNFs as "found." Like many,  I often put a watch on some of my DNFs, particularly if I suspect the problem is a missing cache rather than my own ineptitude. If someone finds it, I try and return and search more diligently. Thus false logs become a big time-waster. However, one curious phenomenon is that when I check the profile of some of these false finders, the last visit is listed as "never." How can this be if they are members logging on various cache pages? Perhaps a reviewer or forum power user can explain? 

If a cacher listed a find on one of my hides, after a string of DNFs, and then I check and find the cache missing, I would send them a message and ask them to please describe the cache (give them a chance). If there is no satisfactory reply, I would delete their find. Some cachers (usually new caches) make a genuine mistake and log a find, but then not knowing how to delete it (although that's not exactly tricky) then log a DNF, but leaving their find log. I delete the find. Also any listed as a find, but stating they didn't find it. I have seen several of those.

14 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

If a cacher listed a find on one of my hides, after a string of DNFs, and then I check and find the cache missing, I would send them a message and ask them to please describe the cache (give them a chance).

I'm sure you do this in a very nice way, but I can't help but read this as saying that you grill them to force them to admit they didn't find your cache.

I always assume honesty: I ask them to tell me how I can find the cache since it is no longer where I hid it. The idea is for us both to figure out together whether they actually found the cache or just made a mistake, and asking also gives me a chance to recover the container if it really is just out of position. Yes, sometimes I get no response, and I just shrug it off, normally posting something in my OM log about the fact that the cache was missing so I suspect UnexpectedFinder made a mistake in claiming a find. Since the cache is now back in place, it's not very important to me to get rid of what would otherwise be a misleading log. I only worry about someone habitually padding their numbers if I detect that they have a pattern of mistaken logs.

• Helpful 1
1 minute ago, dprovan said:

I'm sure you do this in a very nice way, but I can't help but read this as saying that you grill them to force them to admit they didn't find your cache.

I always assume honesty: I ask them to tell me how I can find the cache since it is no longer where I hid it. The idea is for us both to figure out together whether they actually found the cache or just made a mistake, and asking also gives me a chance to recover the container if it really is just out of position. Yes, sometimes I get no response, and I just shrug it off, normally posting something in my OM log about the fact that the cache was missing so I suspect UnexpectedFinder made a mistake in claiming a find. Since the cache is now back in place, it's not very important to me to get rid of what would otherwise be a misleading log. I only worry about someone habitually padding their numbers if I detect that they have a pattern of mistaken logs.

I have never had to grill them. If a cacher has honestly found the cache I find they reply, usually quickly. I too have been asked about a cache and I took no offence and replied to clear up the matter. The CO was doing their job and I appreciated this. However if the cacher doesn't reply (I usually give them several weeks, so I don't hurry this) it indicates they didn't find it and I delete the log. Funnily enough, none in this situation have ever contacted me to ask why I deleted their log, which is more evidence they didn't find it.

Sometimes it can be annoying that COs don't delete obviously false logs. An example; I wanted to use one cache for a challenge cache, but because this false log for a multicache (the logger wrote something like, "I found the first WP", an admittance that's as far as they got; and to back that up, they didn't sign the log,) I couldn't use it. Frustrating!

On 17. 6. 2018 at 5:14 AM, kunarion said:

When a cacher is using a "phone App", the profile will not add a "visit".  A visit in this case occurs when the web page for a cache is opened using a web browser.  Apps, some GPS devices, API software, whatever, they are not opening the web site.

The default cache log in the Official App is "Found".  Most new cachers who log my caches, possibly using Apps, log "Found" if they arrived in the general area, even if the cache itself is deemed missing.  It's not how I roll.  If I arrive at a cache site but don't sign the log sheet, I don't log a "Find", because of what you mentioned and for other reasons.  I kinda wish they'd cut it out. B)

Some cachers never visited the web site and don't even know they are doing something wrong. Unless a cache owner or another cacher contact them, they will never learn otherwise. You might be seeing FI logs with "Cache is not there" / "Container missing" / "Didn't find it" from people who installed the app and never once did "read the manual".

20 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Funnily enough, none in this situation have ever contacted me to ask why I deleted their log, which is more evidence they didn't find it.

The above mentioned cacher might not even notice you have done so. I am not sure if these people even read any messages sent to them.