Geotaged Photos

Geuguy

51 minutes ago, Geuguy said:

I have uploaded a geotagged photo, but once it has gone through all the information is gone. In the past I had no problem with this.   Has anyone else had this problem?

Which photo?  I looked at the last two in your gallery, and they are stripped of EXIF info.  No coordinates.  Are you processing them before upload?

Which function did you use to upload it?  I uploaded one just now to a cache using the Admin menu, and the coordinates display OK:

1a1f7ad2-bfb8-431e-bfdc-4ee863140826_l.j

Edited by kunarion

I just tried to upload a photo taken from my garmin650. but got an error message.  I have had no problems before even if after processing them.

Now I just noticed that all photos I posted after May 6th have all the information removed.

Edited by Geuguy
addition to information
2 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

It seems a compliance with GDPR, maybe.

Why would that be. GDPR does not forbid uploading your own photo's with GPS data in them. If you want to upload pictures with location info, that's fine but you should be able to delete or ask the info to be deleted. GDPR is not about being able to post personal data but about controlling what happens to this data.

If GPS data is edited out it has another reason but it isn't (or better, shouldn't) be GDPR.

17 minutes ago, RuideAlmeida said:

It seems a compliance with GDPR, maybe.

Am I exempt?  My photos have the geotag just fine, an hour ago.  If there's a suspicion that it's failed since then, I can test it again.

A good plan for the OP would be to check if the EXIF info is there before uploading.  There's not enough information yet to figure out what the problem may be.

Edited by kunarion
17 minutes ago, Geuguy said:

I have tried a few different ways with the same results. If the photo does go through, the information is gone, if not I get an Error message.

Are you using software to edit the EXIF file?  If so, try uploading a geotagged photo unedited.  Maybe it's the software.

I tested it with my Garmin 650T just now.  If I take a picture before the GPS has locked onto its position, there is no "GPS" category in the EXIF file.  But the other data remains. 

Edited by kunarion
3 minutes ago, Geuguy said:

Tried unedited photo, same result

I uploaded a photo from my 650T just now, and I think I duplicated your issue!  The "GPS" data is gone.

The photo on the device is sized 1944x2592.  Upload it and the site resized it to 696x928.  That's a problem, because not only is the photo too big (the site doesn't like it that big), but when it gets "processed" by the server, you get what the server wants you to get (size, EXIF or not, etc.).

So here's a plan.  Resize your photo to 696x928 or less and then try it.  I'll also give it a shot while I'm here. :)

OK, I'm back.  This is hard work! B)

If I upload my previously processed "kayaks" photo, it works any way I try it (at its modest size of 640x480).  It always arrives on the site with intact geotag.

If I upload a freshly processed image ("Eighteen") to the exact specifications of the old one, it never arrives with its geotag.  I don't see why it would be different.

The new file.  It had a geotag before upload, and lost it upon arrival to the site:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/b5185952-afba-4914-b1e7-0b4b467d2641.jpg

The old one.  This one retains its geotag after upload.  You can download/upload to test it yourself, just in case.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/9ddd849a-d38c-4212-96d2-e2e5ff4cdf21.jpg

And now it gets weird.  I can't make a photo that now retains its geotag after upload.  Only the previously edited files (from maybe a month ago) arrive unharmed.  I can upload those just fine, right this minute, and they keep their geotag.  I must do further testing.  Maybe it's related to exactly how I resize or save the file.

Edited by kunarion
36 minutes ago, arisoft said:

I can not reproduce this behaviour. Just uploaded a 2048x1536/509kb test image from cache edit page and it contains exif with coordinates. Could you give step by step instructions to reproduce the problem.

I'm getting it by doing this:

Use a photo from the Garmin Oregon.  Resize to 640x480 using Photoshop Elements 15.  "Save As" a new jpg at "quality 8" (high quality).  Open the resized photo before upload, EXIF is intact.  Upload to my web page using Admin Tools/ Upload Images.  Then I download that image ("Eighteen").  It automagically has lost at least its geotag. [Also, I tried the same thing today from a freshly-resized photo from my HTC U11 phone].

This is the process that I used for my "Kayaks" photo, and that looks fine to me regardless of what I do.  But the Kayaks photo is from my phone. Maybe the photos from my phone work fine, but Garmin's camera photos will not.  Gotta try that, too. [EDIT: I tried it. Same thing. If I edit/resize a photo from my phone today, the geotag is lost after upload, just like what happens with the Garmin's photos.  The exact same photos from my phone from a month ago still upload fine today. The only thing that I think could be different is I might have resized them in a different way, same size but different process.  Yet the GPS EXIF data is intact before upload in any case.]

There's something different about the two files (linked above) that causes the server to throw up all over them.  I haven't tried to compare the data to detect what the difference is.  One works, one doesn't.

Edited by kunarion

Testing the new file:

DSC00064a640.jpg

Here I've uploaded the same "Eighteen" file.  The only thing different is, I uploaded it directly to this Forum.  Geotag seems OK when it arrives here.  It's in the GPS Format that the Garmin sends to EXIF (it's goofy-looking), but other software seems to understand it (such as PSE15, it does a conversion when the info is viewed).  But at least it displays something.

If I upload it to a cache page, the geotag is gone.

Anyway, for the OP:  The answer is yes and no. :(

Edited by kunarion
5 hours ago, Geuguy said:

Sadly It's all gone.

Ill be back tonight to see if anyone found a solution!

I've been messing around with it, maybe with some success.  I'm using a program called "Fotosizer", and re-sizing to 1024x768 (for landscape photos).  Re-size in Fotosizer and upload, and the geotag is still there!

My theory is that if the server re-sizes it, the server strips the EXIF data.  It happens if I don't re-size the photo in advance.  1024x768 is small enough where it doesn't become re-sized.  I don't know why re-sizing it in Photoshop Elements causes the EXIF to be gone after upload.  But it means that some software creates files that will lose the geotag.

Edited by kunarion

Thank you kunarion. 

I did what I had to do in Photoshop Elements, then resized it in Fotosizer & got it to work. Finally! 

I have always used PE & never had any trouble before. 

I hope it's a temporary bug in the system because it is a lot of trouble for just one photo!

I got my cache page the way I wanted it, Now I have to decide when I will submit it for review!

Tks again. :D