Regional Park rules

jellis

We here in the East Bay Area try to keep the peace with the parks and their rules. But how does the reviewers keep up and the newbies who don’t know rules apply in the parks they put them at. There is a new cache that came up by a lake. Rule says it has to be more than 100ft from water source. I was reminded another one we found just a few feet from a lake. Should I contact the reviewer or CO?

Edited by jellis

If a cache is placed against a land manager's stated geocaching policy, then I'd suggest contacting either the CO or Reviewer - or both. Depends on how comfortable you feel.  I don't think there's anything wrong with going straight to the Reviewer.

Whichever route you choose, it would also be helpful to include a link to the park's policy or info page (if they have one), so that the CO/Reviewer can learn about the rules for that location. It's a good teaching moment.

Is the policy included in the Wiki  HERE?  If not, then it would be great to contact one of the Reviewers listed on that page to let them know of the policy, so they can add it to the Wiki.

1 hour ago, jellis said:

No it’s not.

http://www.ebparks.org/activities/geocaching/

we already had one of the parks kick all the caches out

Done.

Oddly enough, I did look around at previous Listings in the area, to see if there were any issues raised by the Land Manager in question.  Two that were actually much closer to the lake, now Archived, didn't seem to have any problems with the Parks people (one Archived for non responsiveness to an NA request, and the other Archived voluntarily by the CO).  The cache in this situation looks like its reachable from an adjacent paved pathway.

Regarding the issue with the mass Archival on some lands managed by the same Park Agency, I was actually contacted directly by the Land Manager, after they gave a rather fruitless attempt to contact cache owners themselves, and wanted some help resolving the issue with the closed area.  I had one or two emails following that episode, from cache owners telling me they had the best of intentions of talking with the Land Manager to work things out.  I had to explain to them, that no, when you get contacted by a Land Manager, you Archive your Listing first, then you go have the conversation to get it reinstated, not the other way around.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1