Message Center - multiple users on single thread?

GeoElmo6000

As Team Christiansen explains, spam's a big reason.  

We're one of many that have received them at times. 

- New "members" mostly, suddenly showing a strong desire to contact members about the hobby.   One of mine was an offer for hiking shoes IIRC. 

Received a few by (supposedly) women who saw my pic and were interested in learning the hobby with me too. 

- I still believe most of  them were legit.  :laughing:

1 hour ago, Team Christiansen said:

spam

7 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

spam

I think it would be nice to be able to coordinate a group message thread with people who are interested in being involved.  For example, planning a group geocaching activity.  Sometimes there are people who don't know each other well and aren't interested in sharing their email address or phone numbers with people they don't know well, perhaps until they've gotten to know each other through the group activity.  The message center could be useful in that way.

And yes, there is a risk of spam.  :)  

7 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I think it would be nice to be able to coordinate a group message thread with people who are interested in being involved.  For example, planning a group geocaching activity.  Sometimes there are people who don't know each other well and aren't interested in sharing their email address or phone numbers with people they don't know well, perhaps until they've gotten to know each other through the group activity.  The message center could be useful in that way.

Most we know go on a local faceboook cache site for that stuff.  Pretty-sure you have a bunch all around you.

We don't use faceboook or tweeter, so friends know to clue us in by email.    :)

I'm not sure if the site frowns on the practice (we haven't done it...), but we've sometimes seen COs "mention" things in a log on their cache page (usually events), assuming all on watch will receive that message in notifications.

They than delete that mention from the event page.  Deleted, it can still be viewed  by a Reviewer or HQ, and haven't asked anyone who's done that if they ever were called on it.

Message Center was originally built with the idea of one day supporting 2+ people in a conversation. However, anytime we evaluate the use cases that we are aiming to support in MC and the added complexity of the UI and scenarios that come with multi-person conversations we have tabled the discussion. The underlying system has basic support for the concept and we haven't ruled it out in the future, but for now it is unlikely that we will add the ability to allow more than 2 people in a single conversation.

• Upvote 2
On 6/15/2018 at 5:46 AM, GeoElmo6000 said:

Hi all, is there a way to use the Message Center to communicate with more than one other user in a single thread?  If not, that would be a nice feature.

I have a 3 way conversation going via the messaging on this forum - I don't know if either of the other two parties ever use the forum, but I entered their geo names in the To: field and was able to start a 3-way conversation.

Be aware it's the Forum Messaging, not Geocaching.com messaging, so maybe they DO have to be registered ont he forum as well.

It would be helpful if you could have a multi cacher chat on the Geocaching site. I'm currently having 2 independent chats with 2 cachers via the site about a common topic. I have both their cell phones and could do it that way but I'd need to check if they also would be ok with each of them having their cell provided to the other cacher.