How to redeem gift membership

bUTCH46

I am a Premium member coming up on  time to renew next month, but I won a 1-year premium membership in a silent auction at the Texas Challenge Event.  however I have not been able to activate it.

The instructions say visit "https://payments.geocaching.com", so I did that.

Next I am supposed to select "Redeem Gift Membership"  - - - however, that option does no appear to be available to me.   All that show up on the page are the fillowing items:

Payment History

Membership Type

Payment Method  (the only option available under this tab is PayPal!)

Renewal Status

Stop Recurring Membership

So, I am at a complete loss as to what to do to activate this gift membership.  Help!!

EuGene Smith

Clinton, AR

bUTCH46

bigusmith@yahoo.com

17 minutes ago, bUTCH46 said:

I am a Premium member coming up on  time to renew next month, but I won a 1-year premium membership in a silent auction at the Texas Challenge Event.  however I have not been able to activate it.

The instructions say visit "https://payments.geocaching.com", so I did that.

Next I am supposed to select "Redeem Gift Membership"  - - - however, that option does no appear to be available to me.   All that show up on the page are the fillowing items:

Payment History

Membership Type

Payment Method  (the only option available under this tab is PayPal!)

Renewal Status

So, I am at a complete loss as to what to do to activate this gift membership.  Help!!

Butch,

I tried your method twice, on my PM account and my daughter's Non PM account. Both times the link you gave me led to this option:

Do you see at the bottom right it says to enter the gift or promo code?

PremiumGiftCertificate.png

Edited by Max and 99

Here is a copy/paste of the page I got (it is re-arranged somewhat):

Membership Type
Premium
Renewal Status
Your Geocaching Premium membership will automatically renew for 1 year on 07/06/2018 and will be charged 29.99 USD
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Payment History
Last Payment: 07/06/2017
View Printable Receipt
Payment Method
PayPal
To edit your subscription, please log into your PayPal account.

Add a gift card to your recurring Premium membership account

You must stop your recurring membership before you apply a gift card. The expiration date will extend for an additional year.

1. In your Account Settings, select Membership.
  2. Select Edit Membership.
  3. Select Stop Recurring Membership to cancel the auto-renew feature of your membership.
  4. Select Renew Membership.
  5. Select Redeem Gift Membership.
  6. Enter the Gift Membership Number "XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXX".
  7. Select Review Order.

If you wish to stay a Premium member after the new expiration date, you must buy a new Premium membership.

Now I am getting hoy under the collar!  I cancelled the recurring thing, got the correct screen, and entered the code then got the invalid code message.  I very carefully checked the code letters & numbers and what I entered is what is on the paper, but to no avail.  I may as well just give up, consider the auction as a sunk cost, and go ahead an pay up like a good guy ought to!!  As we say in these here hills, "I done been skunked!"   bUTCH46

I gotta give up.  I don't have the patience to continue playing this gabit.  In my Arkie parlance, I'm gonna cut bait and get the Hell outa Dodge!!  I'm going to pay the 30 shamoleons to renew, then mail the Gift Certificate to Seattle, and tell them to put it in rectal  defilade!  Smiff, aka bUTCH46

Just FYI for anyone who has won  a free year membership.  I also won one and it was super easy to redeem.  There was no need to end the recurring payment.

I used this link: https://www.geocaching.com/freetrial/

Answered the 2 questions, entered the code and clicked redeem.

Within seconds my renewal date on my account was advanced one year and I am now a Premium Member until sometime in 2020.  You might get a message from HQ welcoming you to a free trial but if you check your renewal date before and after you will see it has been updated.

29 minutes ago, Twinklekitkat said:

Just FYI for anyone who has won  a free year membership.  I also won one and it was super easy to redeem.  There was no need to end the recurring payment.

Within seconds my renewal date on my account was advanced one year and I am now a Premium Member until sometime in 2020.  You might get a message from HQ welcoming you to a free trial but if you check your renewal date before and after you will see it has been updated.

Huh. You can get a free PM trial even if you have already been a PM?

Clarifying:  I won a one year membership.  The same kind of prize the bUTCH46 was trying to redeem. I did not win a free trial.  I used the same link one could use to redeem a free trial but what I redeemed was a one year membership that was a prize at an event.  That has nothing to do with prior PM status.  It just so happens the link says "freetrial" at the end of it but it also accepts redemption codes given as prizes at events where one could win a year of geocaching. The code of the redemption certificate is what matters.  It was for a free year not a free PM trial and the system knew that when I entered it.  If it had been a code for a free PM trial I'm sure it would have been denied.

2 minutes ago, Twinklekitkat said:

Clarifying:  I won a one year membership.  The same kind of prize the bUTCH46 was trying to redeem. I did not win a free trial.  I used the same link one could use to redeem a free trial but what I redeemed was a one year membership that was a prize at an event.  That has nothing to do with prior PM status.  It just so happens the link says "freetrial" at the end of it but it also accepts redemption codes given as prizes at events where one could win a year of geocaching. The code of the redemption certificate is what matters.  It was for a free year not a free PM trial and the system knew that when I entered it.  If it had been a code for a free PM trial I'm sure it would have been denied.

Thanks for clarifying!  If I EVER get the card, I'll look up your post and see if that will work for me. Thanks.

On 12/21/2018 at 5:50 PM, Max and 99 said:

Huh. You can get a free PM trial even if you have already been a PM?

And just to add, the free 30-day Premium that comes with (or came with) the purchase of a GPSr unit can also be redeemed if one is already a Premium member - extending the membership expiration date by 1 month. I got such a code when I bought my Garmin a few years back. I have no idea if these are still included with GPSr units or not. If you know someone that doesn't geocache, but buys a Garmin, then you may want to ask them if they got a code.

It's just the "free trial" that is restricted to never-been-PM folks.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:19 PM, Twinklekitkat said:

This worked! thank you so much.