I am FINISHED with TBs

Viajero Perdido

If anybody sees me touching a TB beyond this date, please point out that I've forgotten this solemn declaration.

Why does the system allow somebody other than the current holder to make a TB visit places?  People are messing with dates, adding bogus miles and making a mess of the map.  Other people ignore goals when you try your best to help, foiling your attempts.  Don't even get me started about the dismal prospects for the lifetime of an attractive TB or coin you might own and set loose.

(I'll make one exception.  There's a grade-school class I like to help out with getting international TBs started.  For you Marion, I'll still try.)

It's broken, Jim.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Ah, I should clarify "currently", in the presence of back-dating.  To rephrase more precisely, "Why does the system allow somebody other than the holder on a given date make a TB visit places on that date?"

Scenario: I move a TB physically from A to B.  Another cacher acquires the TB, then writes backdated logs, taking it to faraway places on dates when it's actually in my possession.  Has happened twice that I can remember, including most recently here, and each time the fuse gets shorter.

I try to help, but others foil it.  So I no longer try to help.  Other than through this thread, in the off chance Groundspeak reads it and realizes they need to make changes.

• Upvote 1

You think it was on purpose? My guess is that someone's auto-visiting and they retrieved the TB first before logging the last few weeks caches. I doubt they have any idea what they did. You're welcome to your feelings, of course, but I don't quite see the logic behind no longer playing a part of the game you've been enjoying because a couple people made dumb mistakes. I gather trying to enlighten the cacher the first time this happened didn't go well?

I wouldn't mind GS implementing some limitations to prevent people from logging a TB on a date before the date they retrieved it. That seems more reasonable than the kind of logging restrictions they've already decided to put on caches. I wonder if they've ever considered it.

• Helpful 1
30 minutes ago, dprovan said:

You think it was on purpose?

Probably not, but who cares?

My enjoyment faded away with the arrival of "visited", which led to kidnappings and pages of "took it to", which makes it royally difficult to go back and see what happened to a trackable shortly after you interacted with it.

They've tinkered with the recipe, and ruined the secret sauce.

30 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I gather trying to enlighten the cacher the first time this happened didn't go well?

How'd you guess?

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
49 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

which makes it royally difficult to go back and see what happened to a trackable shortly after you interacted with it.

You are so right, It's hard to see where the TB or the coins went because there is so many points where it have been… You make me think about it and I might stop doing all visited for my next caches that I will find. 

3 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Ah, I should clarify "currently", in the presence of back-dating.  To rephrase more precisely, "Why does the system allow somebody other than the holder on a given date make a TB visit places on that date?"

Scenario: I move a TB physically from A to B.  Another cacher acquires the TB, then writes backdated logs, taking it to faraway places on dates when it's actually in my possession.  Has happened twice that I can remember, including most recently here, and each time the fuse gets shorter.

I try to help, but others foil it.  So I no longer try to help.  Other than through this thread, in the off chance Groundspeak reads it and realizes they need to make changes.

What a big old mess!

2 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

My enjoyment faded away with the arrival of "visited", which led to kidnappings and pages of "took it to", which makes it royally difficult to go back and see what happened to a trackable shortly after you interacted with it.

Yeah... 

You know, I can't find anywhere where a massive amount of folks were complaining about drop/retrieve to every cache.  We didn't know anyone who did that with trackables.

- If someone remembers all those people upset over it,  please fill us in.  Thanks.    :)

When we first started we've seen and heard of hoarders.   Holding others property for a long time. 

- One thought they knew best where and when someone else's property should/could be placed,  but when you acquire so many, logging's tough to catch up on.  Sheesh...

Now, many have become what the other 2/3rds has called "Hoarder light".  :D 

They hold onto other people's  property a very long time,  just maybe not as many. 

Threads started with  "issues with my trackable" to find it's not theirs at all,  they've held someone's property for almost a year.

- The issue ( I feel)  is the  number of these new kidnappers. 

3 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

That makes more sense. Please don't blame it on the poor guy that was just clueless.

Honestly, I don't really think visits are a big factor here, at least the way I see it. TBs disappear. I don't particularly care for mindless visits, but I can't deny they're better than the TB seeing two caches before disappearing.

10 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

They've tinkered with the recipe, and ruined the secret sauce.

^This

I'm not (yet) finished with TBs but it's frustrating that with the vast majority of TBs I'm picking up nowadays it's impossible to actually follow it's history and even to figure out which was the last cache the TB was truly residing is often cumbersome. But since apparently also most TB owner are happy with this development it's probably me who has to adapt and either stop taking care of TBs or accepting that accurate and traceable history is no longer wanted for TBs.

7 hours ago, dprovan said:

I don't particularly care for mindless visits, but I can't deny they're better than the TB seeing two caches before disappearing.

Disappearing TBs are sad. Getting mindless visits is not even cold comfort IMHO.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Got it.  I thought it might be related to backdating, but thanks for clarifying. 

I consider backdated visits to be an especially irritating subset of the already tiresome category of "cachers who feel the need to visit every dadgum TB to every dadgum cache for months at a time."

• Upvote 1

If the site restricted "visits" to only trackables that belong to you, would that help?  Worth a shot on Website suggestions ?

We've shown families to use visits for trackables as a record of caching with their kids for years now. 

It may be easier than creating an account that they have to maintain, to find the kids may not even be interested when older.

- If those kids ever decide to open an account of their own, they know which caches they've found with mom n dad. 

I believe many realize "visiting" hasn't (really) been about the trackable much anymore, but the person holding it.

Possible I guess that being unable to "visit" trackables not yours could lead to hoarding again, but at least we'd know it's not under the guise of "helping that trackable along" anymore.   :)

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

If the site restricted "visits" to only trackables that belong to you, would that help?  Worth a shot on Website suggestions ?

I wouldn't like that. I'm one of the few people who selectively visits trackables to appropriate caches. For example, I was recently in possession of a small bee trackable that wanted to visit areas with flowers, so I took lots of photos of it with flowers and visited it to the nearby caches. I guess I could have taken the photos and then just uploaded them all to my eventual drop log under your proposed system, but I feel that having the photos attached to visits in the relevant areas adds more value, especially if those areas are widely-separated and/or in different geopolitical regions.

• Upvote 1
On 6/13/2018 at 4:06 PM, The A-Team said:

I wouldn't like that. I'm one of the few people who selectively visits trackables to appropriate caches. For example, I was recently in possession of a small bee trackable that wanted to visit areas with flowers, so I took lots of photos of it with flowers and visited it to the nearby caches. I guess I could have taken the photos and then just uploaded them all to my eventual drop log under your proposed system, but I feel that having the photos attached to visits in the relevant areas adds more value, especially if those areas are widely-separated and/or in different geopolitical regions.

I'm the same way. I've started taking pictures of the locations and the trackables in them to post on the visit. I think it adds a really nice touch, especially when a lot of trackables with requests for pictures never get them at all. In the very beginning I did visit them to EVERY cache because that's what I saw being done, but more recently I've decided to just log them in interesting/beautiful/requested locations as a visit unless specified in the trackable they want lots of logs.