D/T Shades of Green

The Snowdog

I'm writing a program to help me see my progress in various Fizzy challenges (by type, by size, by state, et cetera) and I want to get my "shades of green" to match what's on the statistics page. There are five different shades of green, referred to (in the source code) as "couple" , "few" , "some", "many", and "lots." However I don't know all of the break points between the colors! Here's what I have:

couple 1-10

few 11-25

some 26 - 99?

many 100? - ???

lots ??? - ???

Who knows where the "break points" are between the colors? Inquiring minds want to know...

Edited by The Snowdog

It took me a while of looking through my and friends' stats, but I finally found some with 99 and 100, which confirms the break between some and many.  None of my friends have exactly 249 or 250, but the numbers in the 200 range are close enough that it looks like 249-250. edit: I have one friend with 250 in one category and it is not in the darkest green color, so 250-251 may be the break between many and lots. Same friend has 99 in the medium green confirming break point between some and many, see second snip below.

So:

couple 1-10

few 11-25

some 26-99

many 100-249 250

lots 251+

Adding snip of my stats for illustration.

capture.JPG

capture.JPG

Edited by hzoi
250-251 is the break, not 249-250
  • Helpful 2

Written in Java. I put this same graphic on Facebook and have already gotten lots of requests and suggestions, so feel free to do the same here. Once it's ready for beta testing I'll post a link on this thread and y'all can tear it apart and find all of my mistakes :)

Edited by The Snowdog
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

If anyone cares, Beta 1 of my "Fizzy Viewer" is ready for testing. Download link is www.thesnowdog.com/TEST/FizzyView.jar and you will need Java installed on your PC. Just double click the "jar" file to run the program. Please let me know how it works for you!

FizzyView.png

It seems to be working as advertised on my PC.  Since it's written in Java it should, theoretically run on a Mac (or Linux) machine unless you're doing something windows specific in how the data is displayed.

For the Locations filter I'd like to see locations other than US States and Canadian Provinces.  I've found caches in 14 countries in Europe and might be interested in seeing results filtered by country.

3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It seems to be working as advertised on my PC.  Since it's written in Java it should, theoretically run on a Mac (or Linux) machine unless you're doing something windows specific in how the data is displayed.

For the Locations filter I'd like to see locations other than US States and Canadian Provinces.  I've found caches in 14 countries in Europe and might be interested in seeing results filtered by country.

Glad to hear that it is working. I have never actually distributed a Java "jar" file like this and was a little on edge as to whether it was assembled correctly.

Since I live in the US it's US centric. Canada was added by request but that's about as many "states" as I can cram into one dialog. If you "check all" and then de-select states in the US and Canada, you still get the rest of the world. If you "clear all" that also clears the rest of the world, and you get only what is selected.

Edited by The Snowdog
5 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

Glad to hear that it is working. I have never actually distributed a Java "jar" file like this and was a little on edge as to whether it was assembled correctly.

Since I live in the US it's US centric. Canada was added by request but that's about as many "states" as I can cram into one dialog. If you "check all" and then de-select states in the US and Canada, you still get the rest of the world. If you "clear all" that also clears the rest of the world, and you get only what is selected.

I've used executable jar files quite a bit.   I downloaded it only my Mac and although I didn't try clicking on the jar file in "Finder", from the command I ran "java -jar FizzyView.jar" and it launched correctly.  I have a couple of other ideas for improvement as well.  If you could put the source code in github (and add me as a contributor) I might be able to make some suggestions (I've been a java programmer for more than 10 years).

7 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've used executable jar files quite a bit.   I downloaded it only my Mac and although I didn't try clicking on the jar file in "Finder", from the command I ran "java -jar FizzyView.jar" and it launched correctly. 

There was a problem with the icons in the jar file. The new and improved link is www.thesnowdog.com/TEST/FizzyView.zip, or (since you're already a Java user) just extract the "icons" directory from the jar file and put that directory where the jar is; the attribute and type and title bar icons should show up then.

The source code is too awful to post right now but after I've cleaned it up a bit I'll put it on my github account.

Edited by The Snowdog

I was working on a puzzle that uses the shades of the different levels and the reference above was the only one I could find. I was having problems with the solution so I searched others stats until I found the break points between the levels. What I found is a little different that the post above. Here is what I found:

couple 1-10
few 11-25
some 26-100
many 100-250
lots 251+