New Garmin Montana 610 will not sync with Base Camp

Triangulum

Just bought this thing, and it makes me want to pull my hair out. Various problems in the setup, and the latest is that the device came loaded with bunches of caches that we've already found, but that will not show up in Base Camp to be deleted. Seems like the "send to Garmin" from my lists will only send a few that I've asked to load. Anyone else have these problems? Efforts to get any kind of answers for anything from Garmin go ignored. Crappy company, my opinion. Thanks, Triangulum from Littleton Colorado

Are you having a problem deleting the pre-loaded caches from the Garmin?  I would suggest just deleting all of the pre-loaded caches by deleting the .gpx or .ggz file directly from the GPSr's  Garmin/GPX or Garmin/GGZ folder - without bothering to use BaseCamp.  The pre-loaded caches are out-of-date and may not be relevant to your geographic area anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
17 hours ago, Triangulum said:

Seems like the "send to Garmin" from my lists will only send a few that I've asked to load.

You can check that by opening the sent "List" GPX file in a text editor, and searching for the cache listing among the others.  If the cache is in the file, you should look at your cache filters on the Garmin GPS.  And remember that a cache beyond about 60 miles from your location is not automatically displayed.

Backup your device.  Then manually delete the files in the "GGZ" and "GPX" folders as noncentric mentioned.  Then send new files to the GPS and see if they will show up in Basecamp.  Or send files to Basecamp instead and load just what you need.  I don't need all the extra work, so I load all files manually and use Basecamp very rarely.  If your problem is the interaction of basecamp with your GPS, that's above my pay grade.

Edited by kunarion