VantagePoint cannot connect with server of geocaching.com

patchounou

19 minutes ago, niraD said:

Could this be related to old versions of TLS no longer being supported?

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2018/07/security-update-required-for-android-devices/

Yep, that's it.

It took me a bit, but I was able to download the "latest" version of VantagePoint. It's no longer available for download from the Magellan website, so I had to go back in the Wayback Machine to find a link where I was able to download it from. The latest version is 2.43, which was released in December 2013, so Magellan clearly isn't supporting or updating the software anymore.

Once I got it installed, I inspected the network packets that were generated when trying to connect from VantagePoint to geocaching.com. As suspected, the software tried connecting using TLS 1.0, which was rejected by the geocaching.com servers due to the recent disabling of TLS 1.0.

In summary, TLS 1.0 has been disabled by geocaching.com in response to an ongoing global deprecation of that protocol, so it's unlikely that it will be re-enabled. VantagePoint relies on the TLS 1.0 protocol for communicating with geocaching.com, but the software isn't being updated any more by Magellan, so support for TLS 1.1 or 1.2 won't be added.

So, VantagePoint will never be able to communicate with geocaching.com ever again.