Bring back webcams? “Webcam Reward?”

59 minutes ago, badlands said:
1 hour ago, niraD said:

Why not allow throwdowns to be part of a traditional smiley?

Common practice says they already are.

Common practice apparently says that selfies are part of a webcam smiley. That doesn't mean it's right. And I've never done a throwdown, and I've never taken a selfie for a webcam.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, TriciaG said:

Games have rules.

Sure

We learn that with family board games, as little kids playing yard games in school, and on through college.  Rules, but still kept fun.    :)

Kinda surprised that adults can't seem to recall that.   This new entitlement thing that seems to be flying around like the flu maybe...

- We still consider this a hobby, but still abide by its rules. 

54 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

This new entitlement thing that seems to be flying around like the flu maybe...

This works for the Found it = Didn't find it forum: "I spent 30 minutes looking all over for it. I know where it must have been so it must be missing. I'm going to claim this as a find."

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, niraD said:

Common practice apparently says that selfies are part of a webcam smiley. That doesn't mean it's right. And I've never done a throwdown, and I've never taken a selfie for a webcam.

Same for me. I follow the rules but that's me. What other catchers do isn't my business.  They aren't hurting the game. A high horse CO can cause a lot of damage to the game. This why GS want us CO to remember the spirit of the game, just have fun and don't go around deleting logs because it's the guidelines.  Rule means right on the line, guidelines means around the line. It's flexible. Yes, guidelines does cause more gray area for sure. It's just a hobby. Just have fun. Don't be that CO that suck the fun out of the game because it's the "rules". Don't be that guy. I say it again, being a CO isn't for everyone.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

We learn that with family board games, as little kids playing yard games in school, and on through college.  Rules, but still kept fun.    :)

Kinda surprised that adults can't seem to recall that.   This new entitlement thing that seems to be flying around like the flu maybe...

- We still consider this a hobby, but still abide by its rules. 

Honestly it depends on the context. In many cases "rules" being broken do ruin the fun for other people. Why are those whose fun is ruined at fault for "letting" their fun being ruined by someone breaking the "rule"?

In other contexts, someone breaking "rules" doesn't affect anyone else at all. In those cases, why should that person's fun be ruined by people trying enforce the "rule" on them when really doesn't matter to them?

In family board games, parents certainly can choose when to enforce rules (and teach the children about the concept of rules), and when to let it slide (another important life lesson).

So yeah, games have rules.  Some can be bent. Some should not be broken.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, SwineFlew said:

I follow the rules but that's me. What other catchers do isn't my business.

As a CO, it is my business to some extent. GS gives guidelines for cache owners: https://www.geocaching.com/play/guidelines

Under "Cache owner responsibilities", it says:

To keep the online cache page up-to-date, the cache owner must

• [...]
  • Delete logs that appear to be false or inappropriate.

The CO has a lot of freedom to determine what is a "false" log and what not. Especially for physical caches, where the logbook can get lost, or illegible. But webcam caches are the one cache type, where false logs are very easy to tell! You either post a webcam photo of you at the requested location, or you don't. And if you don't, your log can (and IMHO should) be deleted. I really don't see why a Webcam CO is on a "high horse", "causes a lot of damage to the game" or "sucks the fun out of the game" (all quotes from your posting) when he deletes false webcam logs (cellphone selfies etc.).

And if a webcam is temporarily out of service, after you traveled hundreds of kilometers to it? Well, s*** happens, I'd say. "Losing" (if you see a DNF as a defeat) is part of any game, including geocaching. If you can't handle that, don't play! I'm definitely not amused when I DNF a cache, and I was seriously annoyed by some of my DNFs, but I still logged them reluctantly as DNF.

1 hour ago, SwineFlew said:

It's just a hobby. Just have fun.

It should be fun for COs as well. I know at least one owner who does not have fun with one of his caches, because of cachers who keep logging invalid finds. It's a D3,5 virtual with a somewhat tricky logging requirement. He is regularly deleting non-conforming logs, and has recently posted a summary of the most rude replies. Didn't look like fun. You think that CO is on a "high horse"? I think he's just trying to be fair to those finders who do make the effort to post a proper log.

• Upvote 8
  • Helpful 1

It is a game. As a CO it is your decision to delete a log or not. Just plainly say so on the web page. If I were a webcam CO and someone posted a selfie, was from out of town and could not get the webcam to work right for some reason or another I would accept the smiley log that had a selfie. Just my opinion, would state something to that effect on the cache page write up. 

GS needs to show some flexibility. Remember when photos could be required on earthcaches by COs, now they are not. The game is always evolving somewhat, hopefully for the better and not for worse. 

I just think getting more legalestic and more “pc” does the game harm.  Again, my opinion.  

Edited by Rathergohiking
Spell check
13 minutes ago, Rathergohiking said:

I just think getting more legalestic and more “pc” does the game harm.  Again, my opinion.  

I think the more important issue is respect.  Some people are really really  bothered about having their image online.  Nothing legalistic or pc about their feelings.  Just something they are averse to.  That was the main reason they were killed on EC's.  HQ took the high road on that decision IMHO.

On 6/11/2018 at 6:18 AM, Sherminator18 said:

Are webcams even a thing these days? How many people/businesses/towns are even using webcams?

Based on tech advances, I'd guess that there are more webcams now than there were a dozen years ago.

On 6/11/2018 at 6:18 AM, Sherminator18 said:

And my thought is that there is a huge issue with someone using the webcam over a business/college/town that isn't their own and that they have no control over because there isn't anything they can do if the webcam has technical difficulties or the owner decides not to do it anymore.

Wouldn't this be the same issue with a roadside traditional, if the local highway department does construction and blocks access to the cache site, or removes the hiding structure completely. The CO has no control over that and would need to disable/archive the cache.

Same thing with physical caches hidden on hiking trails, which might be closed for maintenance or weather-related problems, or even closed completely. The CO has no control over that and would need to disable/archive the cache.

On 6/11/2018 at 7:44 AM, niraD said:

And some people may not have wanted to expose themselves to the abuse of those who are upset that they didn't get a Virtual Reward. If you don't publish the Virtual Reward, then no one knows. If you do, then you expose yourself to those who would make you another example of all that is wrong with the algorithm.

^This.

16 hours ago, Rathergohiking said:

GS needs to show some flexibility. Remember when photos could be required on earthcaches by COs, now they are not. The game is always evolving somewhat, hopefully for the better and not for worse. 

The earthcache guidelines no longer require an image, but folks still need to solve logging tasks. 

Those tasks are even broken down to show what's acceptable for the CO to include, and what's not.  Rules...

The photo requirement for earthcaches isn't the same as webcams, since the only requirement is an image from the webcam itself.

I'd think if the only requirement is removed, there'd no longer be a reason to keep that cache type.

- I'd like to keep 'em around a while if you don't mind.  We've lost enough cache types and functions to people pushing limits. 

Groundspeak has shown flexibility. 

One, removing "Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can" (for me) maybe isn't turning out as hoped.

- But they're adding an option of "augmented reality" to mystery caches, and some are really excited.  Looks a lot like pokemon to me, but maybe it'll turn out okay.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

2.7. Webcam Caches

index.php?pg=file&from=2&id=1418

Webcam Caches are a grandfathered type of cache. You cannot submit new Webcam Cache pages for review, but you can find those that remain active and log them.

To log a Webcam Cache, follow these steps:

1. At the posted coordinates, stand within view of the associated webcam.
  2. Go to the website that shows the webcam feed. If the webcam is not in service you cannot claim your “find” online.
  3. Follow the instructions on the cache page. Sometimes the cache owner will require you to pose in a specific location or in a specific way.
  4. Use your phone to capture a screenshot of the webcam image or arrange for a friend to take a screenshot on a computer.
  5. To post your log, select the “Webcam Photo Taken” log type and attach your captured webcam image.

Only logs with a screenshot from the webcam feed are acceptable. Logs with photos taken at the location can be deleted by the cache owner.

On 6/16/2018 at 12:28 AM, noncentric said:

Wouldn't this be the same issue with a roadside traditional, if the local highway department does construction and blocks access to the cache site, or removes the hiding structure completely. The CO has no control over that and would need to disable/archive the cache.

Same thing with physical caches hidden on hiking trails, which might be closed for maintenance or weather-related problems, or even closed completely. The CO has no control over that and would need to disable/archive the cache.

Yes but people don't want to disable or archive webcams because they are so rare.

6 hours ago, Sherminator18 said:

Yes but people don't want to disable or archive webcams because they are so rare.

So, is the webcam a problem or are the cachers that don't want to archive them a problem?  Just because people don't want to disable/archive them doesn't seem like a valid reason that they shouldn't be brought back.

And besides, if they were brought back, then they wouldn't be "so rare" and so people would be less opposed to them being disabled/archived when they need to be.

If a webcam doesn't work anymore, then they need to be disabled/archived regardless of what people want. After all, if webcams don't work, then cachers can't be 'legitimately' logging them as "Webcam Photo Taken" anyway. And if cachers are logging them with selfies or other non-proof methods, then the caches can be archived because the CO doesn't enforce the logging requirements.

On 6/16/2018 at 12:28 AM, noncentric said:
On 6/11/2018 at 9:18 AM, Sherminator18 said:

Are webcams even a thing these days? How many people/businesses/towns are even using webcams?

Based on tech advances, I'd guess that there are more webcams now than there were a dozen years ago.

Possibly, but the technology has changed.  The old Java-style cams that most webcams seem to use, the ones that let you move the cam around and take pictures, seem pretty obsolete.  Newer webcams usually provide streaming video but may not have an obvious function for taking a still photo (short of a screen capture).

Before webcams were grandfathered, the challenge was to link up with someone to take your picture from a desktop or laptop computer.  With the smart phone, as long as I have a signal and the webcam isn't running some archaic program from 1999 that doesn't work on any of my phone's browsers, I can do it myself.  I think the last time I actually had to phone someone to help me with a webcam was back in 2010.

On 6/18/2018 at 6:29 PM, noncentric said:

So, is the webcam a problem or are the cachers that don't want to archive them a problem?  Just because people don't want to disable/archive them doesn't seem like a valid reason that they shouldn't be brought back.

And besides, if they were brought back, then they wouldn't be "so rare" and so people would be less opposed to them being disabled/archived when they need to be.

If a webcam doesn't work anymore, then they need to be disabled/archived regardless of what people want. After all, if webcams don't work, then cachers can't be 'legitimately' logging them as "Webcam Photo Taken" anyway. And if cachers are logging them with selfies or other non-proof methods, then the caches can be archived because the CO doesn't enforce the logging requirements.

I agree with your points. But if I was rewarded a "Webcam Reward" I would not want to put it out. I personally do not want to deal with the upkeep and log maintenance with one of these.

On 6/20/2018 at 6:45 AM, Sherminator18 said:

I agree with your points. But if I was rewarded a "Webcam Reward" I would not want to put it out. I personally do not want to deal with the upkeep and log maintenance with one of these.

Agreed.  That same feeling regarding Virtuals is likely why some Virtual Reward recipients haven't placed their Virtual caches since last year. Although I'm sure some just don't want to be recognized as having received the reward either.

Someone earlier mentioned that it would be better as an "opt in" type of thing, with cachers saying they'd like to place one being the ones eligible for the reward.  I'm sure the outrage disappointment with opting in and then not getting selected would be just as bad as with the Virtual Rewards though.

5 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Someone earlier mentioned that it would be better as an "opt in" type of thing, with cachers saying they'd like to place one being the ones eligible for the reward.  I'm sure the outrage disappointment with opting in and then not getting selected would be just as bad as with the Virtual Rewards though.

Do people express much outrage disappointment when they sign up for a promotional trackable but are not selected to receive one?

4 minutes ago, niraD said:
10 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Do people express much outrage disappointment when they sign up for a promotional trackable but are not selected to receive one?

That's a good point.

It would be better if it was presented as a "random" selection of those that opted in, like a lottery system.  Rather than presenting it as a selection of "top" cachers based on an algorithm. Of course, some people would be disappointed, but at least the complaints about how one person got it even though they deserved it more arguments would be baseless. I found it very distasteful seeing all the scrutiny that was applied to Virtual Reward recipients last year.

On 6/10/2018 at 9:31 PM, Harry Dolphin said:

...We received permission from the Mount Washington Observatory to list the Webcam Cache.  They were so happy to have the webcam listed on Groundspeak that they painted a white X to show you where to stand!  Maintenance is tough, since so may cachers think a selfie should be good enough.  Nope!  A webcam photo is required....

Fabulous place to have one!  I shiver just looking at their winter feed.  Would love to get up there sometime for the webcam - in their summer.

I think that Webcam rewards would be a great idea and I would love to see more webcams. However, Virtuals and webcams were grandfathered manly because geocaching should be about finding physical things. The problem with sites like Waymarking is that there is too many virtual caches. future webcams would further aggravate the problem. Nevertheless, I would love to see webcam rewards!

• Funny 2
40 minutes ago, dennistubaplayer said:

I think that Webcam rewards would be a great idea and I would love to see more webcams. However, Virtuals and webcams were grandfathered manly because geocaching should be about finding physical things. The problem with sites like Waymarking is that there is too many virtual caches. future webcams would further aggravate the problem. Nevertheless, I would love to see webcam rewards!

Virtuals were archived because of the issues with the Review process associated with them. (Some people were submitting things like a deer carcass as a virtual cache, then there was the 'Wow Factor' vagueness that caused more issues for Reviewers).  Waymarking is not caching, but is a listing of locations (or certain things at locations) - and therefore entirely virtual by definition.

3 hours ago, K13 said:

Virtuals were archived because of the issues with the Review process associated with them. 

So to correct this issue Groundspeak introduced the 5 virtuals bundle that doesn't require any Review Process at all!!! Hum how that makes sense?

4 hours ago, dennistubaplayer said:

I think that Webcam rewards would be a great idea and I would love to see more webcams.

Will never happen too much cheating and privacy issues. 

Edited by Lynx Humble

I'm doing a webcam today I hope *looks if train services are running* and am happy that they are so rare. In the past I would have done every virtual, regardless of how s***ty they were because of how rare they were. Now I tend to skip those that don't interest me. I guess Webcams will be a lot less interesting if there were more. Once I've done this webcam I will only have one left that requires a roughly 3h train ride and a ship ride, or cross various border. I quite like it that they are so rare.

The only reason that I can see that people want webcam caches back is because they are rare.

If you give out webcam rewards then they automatically become less rare.

I'm sure some people would be pleased with webcam rewards anyways, but I would say people are better off without more webcam geocaches.

Like frostengel said, you can't really be creative with them anyways. It's like placing a geocache where you have to use one of the pre-selected locations that someone gives you, and you can't even choose what container to use. 

I suppose you could try to be creative, but then you end up with something like this (Which apparently really needs to be locked...).

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, frostengel said:

You can be creative with virtuals but you can't be creative with webcam caches. Take a photograph - done.

So I don't see a reason for new webcam caches.

There are/were a few web cams that went beyond just taking a photograph,  primarily due to the location.   There was on in Times Square, New York City that was very popular.   I think I recently saw one that is on the equator.  The favorite one that I did was at the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas.  The Alamo has some historical significance so taking a photo there was more "creative" than some random street corner.  

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

There are/were a few web cams that went beyond just taking a photograph,  primarily due to the location.

Okay, but the numbers are very rare. I remember one special webcam cache I did - it was in the building of a university somewhere in Florida. All the others (that are not too many ;-)) of my found webcams were just normal simple webcam caches. I still like doing them as they are so rare - as someone stated above, too.

Another difference between webcam cache and virtual cache is the location: you can chosses any location you like for a virtual cache but for a webcam cache you have to use a position chosen by the person which put out the cam.

One main part of being a geocache owner is to select your location as you want to show this place - not to look out which location someone else has chosen.

Am I wrong!? Perhaps I am but as addition: I was happy to be one of the chosen for "virtual reward #1" but I wouldn't have used the cache if it was "webcam reward #1". I don't want to own such a thing....

1 hour ago, frostengel said:

Another difference between webcam cache and virtual cache is the location: you can chosses any location you like for a virtual cache but for a webcam cache you have to use a position chosen by the person which put out the cam.

One main part of being a geocache owner is to select your location as you want to show this place - not to look out which location someone else has chosen.

Agreed!
How would GS distribute them? You'd need a suitable webcam nearby to start with, and preferably know that it's reliable. I just had a look in my general area: lots of websites that list webcams, and all the cams are down/gone (probably for a long time).

Btw, I did log a webcam today, and I really enjoyed the anticipation and the moment of taking the photo at such a rare cache. That was fab!

On 10/17/2020 at 12:43 PM, frostengel said:

Okay, but the numbers are very rare. I remember one special webcam cache I did - it was in the building of a university somewhere in Florida. All the others (that are not too many ;-)) of my found webcams were just normal simple webcam caches. I still like doing them as they are so rare - as someone stated above, too.

I doubt that webcams will  come back but if they did, it would not be unreasonable for there be a requirement that the CO owns and maintains the webcam.  While that does limit where one can be placed, the CO is choosing the location.   Theoretically, those that were given virtual cache awards could choose any location they liked for a virtual, but fortunately most chose places we'd want to visit.  

I have previously suggested the idea of allowing *temporary* web cams caches at mega events that only exist while the event is taking place.  

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I doubt that webcams will  come back but if they did, it would not be unreasonable for there be a requirement that the CO owns and maintains the webcam.

I agree on both of these points.  I previously posted somewhere that I also think that if webcams came back in any form that the CO should own and maintain their webcam, and I was told off for suggesting such a thing (apparently it's not at all analagous to a CO owning and maintaining their own physical geocache... so I was informed)

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I have previously suggested the idea of allowing *temporary* web cams caches at mega events that only exist while the event is taking place.  

This is a cool idea.  +1 for this too.

• Surprised 1
11 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Now that's an idea I really like. Ignoring Covid and all, this could also be rather fun, to take a photo with friends and lots of other people at the same time.

12 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Perhaps I am the only one but I do not like this idea at all. I remember that for a long time lab caches were connected to mega events, too, and with any big event there were several temporary lab caches waiting for the event participants.

[I haven't done any of these as I don't like mega events too much. I prefer the smaller ones where you can talk to anybody of the visitors.]

Shouldn't the idea of visiting a mega event be to visit the event, take part in the given attractions, workshops, .... and to have fun at the event? Whenever there are temporary caches just listed for this event the main idea shifts to collecting points, making everything just a statistics thing (especially with such rare icons as webcam caches)!? That is not my idea of events.

I have to admit that I do not like the idea of any temporary caches at all. Caches should be listed for a longer time in any case.

If you want to connect these what about a smaller version: Groundspeak may allow mega (or giga only?!) event owners to put out one (1) webcam cache. Not a temporary but a permanent one. That way the number of webcam caches would slowly (!) encrease again. The event owners may publish those up to one month after the event so it is more like a thank you for hosting a big event than a statistic thing for the event itself.

Jochen

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, frostengel said:

Groundspeak may allow mega (or giga only?!) event owners to put out one (1) webcam cache. Not a temporary but a permanent one.

If this idea was to be allowed (and I don't think it will), then yes it should be limited to 1 webcam cache only per Mega/Giga, but I think a temporary placement would be  a better idea.

If it had to be a permanent Webcam then the organisers would be limited to placing it where there's an existing Webcam, which would almost certainly be under the control of a third party, it might have to be a long way from the event co-ords, and it might even go offline during the event period.

If a temporary webcam was allowed then the organisers could set it up themselves, and ensure it's online for the duration of the event, and they could place it anywhere - even in the middle of the main event hall, or the area where Signal is going to be (if he's logged a Will Attend), or they could setup something fun such as one of those panorama scenes where  you stick your head through a hole for a picture, or if there's anything else of particular interest near the event location.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, frostengel said:

Perhaps I am the only one but I do not like this idea at all. I remember that for a long time lab caches were connected to mega events, too, and with any big event there were several temporary lab caches waiting for the event participants.

[I haven't done any of these as I don't like mega events too much. I prefer the smaller ones where you can talk to anybody of the visitors.]

Shouldn't the idea of visiting a mega event be to visit the event, take part in the given attractions, workshops, .... and to have fun at the event? Whenever there are temporary caches just listed for this event the main idea shifts to collecting points, making everything just a statistics thing (especially with such rare icons as webcam caches)!? That is not my idea of events.

I bolded some of what you said for emphasis.

You don't like mega events, but you want to dictate to those that do like mega events what kind of fun they can have at them.  Wow.

Edited by funkymunkyzone
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 2
5 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

You don't like mega events, but you want to dictate to those that do like mega events what kind of fun they can have at them. 

I want the hobby do be more than numbers. Geocaching shouldn't be a statistics game.

I am some kind of statistic cacher myself (high terrain for example) and I do not like the trend (and therefore I don't like the way I think sometimes -.-).

So, yes, I like to influence (I prefer this word, but if you want to call it "dictate" - do so) the way geocaching is seen by others.

Jochen

13 minutes ago, frostengel said:

I want the hobby do be more than numbers. Geocaching shouldn't be a statistics game.

I am some kind of statistic cacher myself (high terrain for example) and I do not like the trend (and therefore I don't like the way I think sometimes -.-).

So, yes, I like to influence (I prefer this word, but if you want to call it "dictate" - do so) the way geocaching is seen by others.

I used the word dictate carefully.  If you loved mega events, went along and enjoyed them and the various activities on offer but were concerned about a particular potential direction they might take, that would be different.  But your post read more like "I don't like these events, so I will oppose anything that others might enjoy about them".  Remember, if you don't like mega events you are not forced to go to them, and if a temporary webcam existed for a period of time around a mega, you are not forced to go find it.  What others do, find, or enjoy, does not negatively affect your experience.  There are a number of things that others like but I don't like about geocaching, but I'm not about to campaign for those things to go away just because I don't like them... that's kind of like being the grinch.

• Surprised 2
2 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

If this idea was to be allowed (and I don't think it will), then yes it should be limited to 1 webcam cache only per Mega/Giga, but I think a temporary placement would be  a better idea.

If it had to be a permanent Webcam then the organisers would be limited to placing it where there's an existing Webcam, which would almost certainly be under the control of a third party, it might have to be a long way from the event co-ords, and it might even go offline during the event period.

If a temporary webcam was allowed then the organisers could set it up themselves, and ensure it's online for the duration of the event, and they could place it anywhere - even in the middle of the main event hall, or the area where Signal is going to be (if he's logged a Will Attend), or they could setup something fun such as one of those panorama scenes where  you stick your head through a hole for a picture, or if there's anything else of particular interest near the event location.

Mega events don't happen very often (has there ever been one in NY state?) so a single webcam at an event isn't an about the numbers thing.  I was also thinking that a webcam at an event could be used a way to  log  attendance (yes, I know that logs at events are not required) and attached to the listing.  You're last paragraph tells me that you're thinking of a webcam at an event the same way that I did.

• Upvote 1