Garmin Montana 680T

Hello Winterwolf

Did you just buy this GPS? Why I ask is - when I purchased my Montana 680, it came (unbeknownst to me) supplied with 250,000 caches already in the GPS. With my old GPS - Montana 610 - all caches were installed in the GPX file. With my Montana 680, I did the same GPX inputting but kept running into old caches out in the real world that I already found. I did a little checking and the 680 can also take GGZ files, which are a condensed cache files (i.e. kinda like a zip file). I ended up removing the factory installed GGZ caches, but kept the file for whenever I use GGZ files. That helped me.

Not sure if this will help you 

GJO_2010.

In order to help solve your problem, it would help to know how the 'old' caches were loaded to your Garmin.  Were they pre-loaded onto the unit before you acquired it?  It sounds like this is probably the case, so you'd need to delete all the .gpx and .ggz files from the device, then load new files to get current cache info onto the device.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

it is brand new.  When i try to download new individual GC to the unit it tells me it doesn't recognize the unit.  however Garmin connect finds my unit with their software, so i know its connecting.  So if I delete the GPX files i am not sure how to reload teh GC with the new info.

23 minutes ago, Winterwolf227 said:

it is brand new.  When i try to download new individual GC to the unit it tells me it doesn't recognize the unit.  however Garmin connect finds my unit with their software, so i know its connecting.  So if I delete the GPX files i am not sure how to reload teh GC with the new info.

What is your process to load it? What exactly is the error you're getting?  Don't mess with "Send To GPS" unless you're prepared for a lot of hacker-like work, there are a bahzillion threads here about that, covering every aspect of the issue, many times over. 

Instead, use "GPX File" for a cache or two, and "Send To Garmin" (via Garmin Express, and not to be confused with "Send To GPS"), or use Pocket Queries.  Delete obsolete cache files (backup everything first), you already see the problems they cause.

A basic process to add a GPX file is to click "GPX File" on a cache page to download it.  You can select Save As to save it at that time into the Garmin/GPS folder of the GPS, or drag-and-drop from the download folder of a PC.  Now the file appears on the GPS in the Garmin/GPS. Load unzipped Pocket Queries much the same way.

Edited by kunarion