So excited to start caching!

RavenMom

I'm a stay-at-home mom with 2 small children and just recently found out about GeoCaching. A girlfriend is sending me their GPS to try out and it can't get here soon enough.

Any hints, information or guiding will be well received for this newbie. I am hoping to include the entire family on this adventure. I hope you don't mind stupid questions cuz I'm sure they'll be coming from me! LOL!

quote:
Originally posted by RavenMom:

Near Gresham - we just bought our very first house. We moved from Alaska 6 years ago.

I need help with everything. Once I get the GPS I'll probably ask for info about that to begin with. I'll want to do kid friendly caching to start.

Well you are in luck!!! Portland has one of the best groups of cachers in the country. I've had the pleasure of meeting some of them. I'm sure once you get your GPS in the mail they will be glad to help you out.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

My wife is also a SOHM. We have daughters aged 29 mos and 10 mos. My wife doesn't geocache much, but my daughters do! My oldest found her first at 7 mo and has a few dozen to her credit.

We're on the west side (Hillsboro), but we'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

I'd take Matt&Laura up on the offer to do some team-geocaching. You'll learn alot from them. You might also peruse the 'Getting Started' and 'General' forums to see replies to questions you have which others have already asked. You can use the forum search engine to look for speccific topics.

Welcome to the fun and hope to see you at a Get Together soon!

-

I don't know how small your kids are, but a couple of Matt & Laura's Springwater caches would be reasonably stroller friendly. My wife and I did a few of these together, and she would stay with the then 3 month old, as I crashed through the bushes. If they are walking on their own, all of the springwater caches would make a grand adventure.

My wife too stays at home, but alas she generally has to be begged to go on a hunt.

I am also a stay at home mom with two kids. It's great fun to hear my four year old son say, "Mommy, can I look at the GPS to see how close we are to the cache?" and when I've gone on a walk with a girlfriend he'll say, "Did you find the cache?" icon_smile.gif Going to the park has a completely different meaning for my kids! icon_wink.gif

I'd be happy to help in any way that I can. (I'm on the west side of Portland..)

Enjoy!

I am also a stay at home mom with two kids. It's great fun to hear my four year old son say, "Mommy, can I look at the GPS to see how close we are to the cache?" and when I've gone on a walk with a girlfriend he'll say, "Did you find the cache?" icon_smile.gif Going to the park has a completely different meaning for my kids! icon_wink.gif

I'd be happy to help in any way that I can. (I'm on the west side of Portland..)

Enjoy!

I live by matt and laura too. Although they keep putting more caches out and driving me nuts because they keep appearing on my home page:)

I dont really do many caches in the portland area anymore like I used. I usually hit 4 or 5 when I am outta town....almost every weekend now.

But if you travel there are allot of nice quick ones at pretty much every turnout along I-5, I-205 and I-84.

I will be getting some in Eugene next weekend.

So enjoy and welcome.

I live by matt and laura too. Although they keep putting more caches out and driving me nuts because they keep appearing on my home pageicon_smile.gif

I dont really do many caches in the portland area anymore like I used. I usually hit 4 or 5 when I am outta town....almost every weekend now.

But if you travel there are allot of nice quick ones at pretty much every turnout along I-5, I-205 and I-84.

I will be getting some in Eugene next weekend.

So enjoy and welcome.

Welcome to Geocaching. What a great sport, everyone is so freindly. Anyways, like said before, there are a good amount of good caches out in Gresham. The Springwater series (though I think we've only hit one or two) are good walk and fairly simple. There's a great cache out at Powell Butte (Butte)

which is a fun, fairly simple walk. You may want to check out our Waterfront Scramble if you're ever in downtown Portland. Good view of the city, a nice, easy stroll (RWS)

. There's a ton of great caches around, too many to list. Hope you have a good time with your new found sport/activity.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything