cache to GPS

Fah-Troop

Maybe someone can figure this out.  I have a garmin GPSmaps64.  When I try to transfer a cache on my home computer it doesn't recognize the garmin plugin or communicator.  When I use my computer at work it works just fine.  I have messaged garmin on many occasions but all they can tell me is I need to add the cache to a list and then transfer it to the GPS. this seems like a lot more work then just asking that the cache be transferred with the communicator.  Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

FAH-Troop

Garmin Communicator (Send to GPS) is not supported by many browsers. For sending one cache at a time, you may instead click "GPX File" on a cache page and save the file into Garmin/GPX.

Garmin Express is what you could use for Lists. Kind of handy for loading a bunch of caches once. Or use Pocket Queries.

52 minutes ago, Fah-Troop said:

gave it a try and the cache ends up in the GPX file but doesn't show up in Basecamp so not to useful.

When the GPX file arrives on your GPS, the transfer succeeded, almost exactly how the old "Send To GPS" worked.  So that's done and all's well. But I didn't notice a mention of "Basecamp" in the OP.  Basecamp reads files on a PC and a GPS.  I can't explain why a file on a GPS would not show up.

You can instead save the GPX file onto your computer where Basecamp is sure to see it.  Then use Basecamp to place it into the GPS if you like.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, kunarion said:

Garmin Communicator (Send to GPS) is not supported by many browsers. For sending one cache at a time, you may instead click "GPX File" on a cache page and save the file into Garmin/GPX.

Garmin Express is what you could use for Lists. Kind of handy for loading a bunch of caches once. Or use Pocket Queries.

ok now they've eliminated the send to GPS function all together!  I don't have much faith in the GPX file system since I'm not sure if the GPS is accessing that file system.  I do have the app on my phone so that's a last ditch option if needed.  WHY OH WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO US?  seems no one wants to support old systems. is that so that we have to upgrade every few years.  Guess i'll have to drag myself into the 21st century!

32 minutes ago, Fah-Troop said:

ok now they've eliminated the send to GPS function all together!  I don't have much faith in the GPX file system since I'm not sure if the GPS is accessing that file system.  I do have the app on my phone so that's a last ditch option if needed.  WHY OH WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO US?  seems no one wants to support old systems. is that so that we have to upgrade every few years.  Guess i'll have to drag myself into the 21st century!

I bought a state-of-the-art "Garmin Oregon 550T" brand new a couple of years ago. Discontinued.  Bought my HTC U11 phone a few months ago.  They still make those... for now.  Yay!

2 hours ago, Fah-Troop said:

Seems odd (to me) to have a newer handheld and still use long-outdated methods to load it.  

The "Send to Garmin" feature, made to replace the old method and all it's security issues, should work fine on your newer GPSr.  "How to"  Here.

You don't say what you have, but most modern phones are just as "accurate" as a handheld GPSr these days.  Welcome to the 21st.    :)

Thanks for all the help with this, I finally got the thing to work, if I downloaded to the GPS he gpx file was there but not recognized in the basecamp.  The download had to go to the GPX file folder on the GPS, then it finally showed on the basecamp and I assume will be there once I get out in the field.  I did go thru the announcement section and after reading two pages of disgruntled cachers I gave up.  Thanks for all the help!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Fah-Troop said:

Thanks for all the help with this, I finally got the thing to work, if I downloaded to the GPS he gpx file was there but not recognized in the basecamp.  The download had to go to the GPX file folder on the GPS, then it finally showed on the basecamp and I assume will be there once I get out in the field.  I did go thru the announcement section and after reading two pages of disgruntled cachers I gave up.  Thanks for all the help!

Basecamp has a lot of moving parts.  I don't highly recommend it a simplification plan for loading a GPS, especially not after you place the GPX file into the GPS, to check that the file arrived.  You can instead see the cache on the GPS's cache list and map.

There are a variety of ways to put cache info into a GPS.

For a modern Garmin that connects by USB such as Garmin GPSMAP 64,
Click "GPX File" on any cache page.
Save it (or copy/paste) to the Garmin/GPX folder on the GPS.

This is what you've done.  OK for just one cache.

Make Pocket Queries of entire areas,
Run, Download the Zip file,
Unzip, place typically two files (Caches and Waypoints) in Garmin/GPX on the GPS.

Make Lists of areas and individually selected caches,
Use the Send To Garmin link for any List.

Edited by kunarion