Sign in to follow this  
Followers 13
The Snowdog

Augmented Reality Caches

3 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

Smart phone with camera and GPS is a "special tool?"

No. But the download, install and usage of very specific software is. ;-)

Areas of Poor Reception:

I was in a sheltered valley that had poor reception testing out a Metaverse experience. But Metaverse requires constant internet connection and I was having a difficult time with the app on and off again. Since you are able to download and save a TaleBlazer (TB) game to your device, I thought I would test that out with the same concept. But even with TB, I had some difficulty. TB programming allows you the option to have a live map (Google) or a custom map. The live map is nicer so that you can zoom in or out and even look at areas not related to the experience. But it would require a constant connection. So you could opt for a custom map and if your play area is a small confined area, that would be fine and you can complete the game just with your phone's GPS. But mine was a nature trail about a mile long. Doing a screen capture of the satellite image of that entire area results in poor viewing quality when you try to zoom it. Although you can complete the game without the map and without internet connectivity, its not a great experience, especially if the cacher doesn't know to download the game before coming to the posted coordinates.

So for areas of poor reception, I recommend Wherigo.

Note that the navigation would be the same experience with taleblazer or Wherigo - Wherigo would need data to load the live map as well. I suppose map caching would depend on the device/os.

23 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

Metaverse requires constant internet connection and I was having a difficult time with the app on and off again.

Yeah that's on the owner, I'd say. You can't create an experience that requires internet, which can only be run in a place without internet :P  I don't think owners can be required to test their experience before the cache is published (how can that be verified) but they can certainly be strongly encouraged to do so; much like the checkbox stating sufficient permission has been obtained for any geocache placed.

AR creators should be aware of whatever limitations exist for the platform they're using.

Even Wherigo cartridges can be buggy, and the creator needs to be aware of and fix them before it's published.

55 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

I was in a sheltered valley that had poor reception testing out a Metaverse experience. But Metaverse requires constant internet connection and I was having a difficult time with the app on and off again.

Yeah, Intercaching runs into the same issue. That's a browser-based system that uses a mobile browser and requires a constant internet connection.

Actually, a lot of smartphone apps seem to assume a constant internet connection. One of the things I miss about Palm PDAs is that PalmOS worked really well in situations where you didn't have an internet connection. Of course, it was designed for that situation, where the device had an internet connection only when it was connected to the docking station plugged into your desktop computer. But it's frustrating when apps don't cache data properly so they can work when you're offline.

4 minutes ago, niraD said:

Actually, a lot of smartphone apps seem to assume a constant internet connection.

Yes, that really bugs me. Especially a few geocaching apps *cough* that don't actually provide a completely offline geocaching experience ;):ph34r:  (other than os-level uncached map sources)

But yeah the assumption that smartphones are always connected gives me that feeling that they don't necessarily even consider optimal data usage.  I like to know when my data is being used and for what.  Another reason I dislike using cloud-based services, especially transparently. Such a data hog

Well, I'd made up my mind to print and laminate a Zapcode and fix it at the starting location....

...then I remembered that a Zapcode would probably be classed as a physical stage and it would then fall foul of proximity rules.  :(

Enthusiasm drifting away....

M

On 6/14/2018 at 5:26 PM, Team Christiansen said:

One attempt at getting cachers to follow a particular sequence of multiple Metaverse experiences if explained by the cache owner in the cache description of this cache.

I don't know how this particular CO solved it, but you can easily force a sequence by using the 'Has completed sequence' block.

5 minutes ago, Vooruit! said:

How so? Physical stages can be as close to each other as you want.

Not to the physical stage of another cache.

• Helpful 1

On 6/15/2018 at 10:35 AM, Team Christiansen said:

Yay!! Finally, my TaleBlazer AR cache just got published.

Im going to be in your neck of the woods July 6th. My son and I are flying in from Huntsville, AL to ultimately go to Yellowstone for a couple days and we will spending the day in Ogden on the 6th. I look forward to finding your AR cache while there!