Augmented Reality Caches

8 hours ago, BlueEagle23 said:

As I finished up my creations this evening, I noticed a message at the top of the page saying that Reveal Studio will retire on April 2nd (I guess not to be taken as an April Fool's joke.) On July 1st, all content created with Reveal Studio will no longer be available. However, content created using the HP Reveal app will continue to be available.

Yes, this is unfortunate for all HP Reveal caches, built in Studio (including two my caches) - if these HP plans will happen, Auras will not work after July 1st.

Then I see only two options:

• re-create the experience /auras on different platform (new, future upgrade of HP Reveal Studio, which is not introduced yet / or using another approved app, if there is any)
  • or archive our AR caches :(
1 hour ago, Rikitan said:

Yes, this is unfortunate for all HP Reveal caches, built in Studio (including two my caches) - if these HP plans will happen, Auras will not work after July 1st.

Then I see only two options:

• re-create the experience /auras on different platform (new, future upgrade of HP Reveal Studio, which is not introduced yet / or using another approved app, if there is any)
  • or archive our AR caches :(

I would assume the Studio version would be more detailed and allow for more creation options, but how limited is the app version? I haven't looked into HP Reveal in any form.

I hope that once the March deadline passes, Groundspeak decides to keep allowing AR caches to be created. I totally missed the boat on HP Reveal and it sounds like a platform that was more suited to the kind of AR cache I'd want to create. I wasn't much of a fan of Metaverse as it didn't seem robust enough and DID like Zappar but GS didn't support it.

9 hours ago, Crow-T-Robot said:

I would assume the Studio version would be more detailed and allow for more creation options, but how limited is the app version?

This is very good question. Frankly, I will give it a try to re-create my content using app version, but expecting serious limitations.

I tried to create Auras directly in the App before I "discovered" Studio, but it appeared to me like instant fun - snap the trigger, add overlay from catalogue. No settings, no multiple overlays, no palette of actions, timers and other functions I used in Studio. But I'll to migrate it somehow, let's see.

Anyway, hopeful new Studio will come soon and will remain free. Otherwise, Reveal is gone for us. 

Ref, official info & FAQ: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSekxkMPzopG4S0hzM7Tfebj1zgVsP4QK2bgiZQQSQSkmh29Sw/viewform

16 hours ago, Crow-T-Robot said:

I would assume the Studio version would be more detailed and allow for more creation options, but how limited is the app version? I haven't looked into HP Reveal in any form.

The app can be used to create a very basic aura: take a photo using the app and then choose a media overlay. Either select something from the provided library or use your own image or video.

The Reveal Studio allows multiple overlays and actions. Overlays can fade in; become visible or hidden, start or stop (if video), and/or load an URL after an event (time delay, or when overlay has faded in, or when overlay is tapped.) This allows for a more interactive experience.

The AR cache I created uses simply an image overlay on signs in a park, so I should be able to replicate it using the app.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, DerDiedler said:

The recently rolled out Adventure Lab Caches are AR-Caches. It´s kind of a beta test for a wider implementation of AR Caches.

No they're quite different. AR caches are standard physical caches classified under the Mystery cache type.  Adventure Labs are not geocaches at all and require the mobile app to provide a slightly different experience.

It may be in the future that Adventure Labs may incorporate AR technology, but there's no hint at that at this point, it's purely speculative. And there's been no word that the two would merge in some way.

• Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, speedy-1702 said:

why is Groundspeak setting a deadline to March 06, 2019 and then more than two months after, not explaining nor giving any kind of status regarding AR ? :wacko:

I would like to see a summary of the Feedback they requested and received for AR caches.  We were required to add the Feedback link on our cache page, so I'd like to know what came of that.

On 5/30/2019 at 3:11 PM, Max and 99 said:

The experiment is currently on hold and new AR cache submissions are no longer accepted while we evaluate the results of the experiment.

Groundspeak: Has the AR caches experiment results been evaluated? What is the result of the survey?

No idea, but I'm surprised that I have yet to see any mention about the Harry Potter based AR game from the same company that created that other AR game that was so popular a couple of years ago.  

Announcement

In January 2019 we announced that HP Reveal is heading in a new direction. Our strategy is going to involve the expansion of AR to include Serialization capabilities, provided by HP Link.

This is a huge undertaking, and as a result we will be unable to provide additional information about the new offering until 2020.

What does this announcement mean for the Studio?

When you try to login you will see the message 'this account no longer exists', this is because on 1-July 2019 we retired all Studio accounts. If you use the option 'forgot password', you will not receive a new password. You will also find that you can no longer scan any content that was created with your Studio account as this content has been removed from our servers - this does not affect any content created using the App.

When and how do I find out more about the future offering?

We will be unable to provide additional information about the new offering until 2020 - in the meantime, please check out our FAQs page where you can provide your email address if you'd like to receive any further correspondence from us.

For all HP Reveal AR cache owner - don't be surprised like me. 

https://aurasma.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205981235?input_string=closed+account%2C+deleted+auras

So - time to move and try to make it again in terrain or archive them all?

HP disabled it one month before MEGA event in my city - thank you HP. Sending an e-mail is much to more for them. 

On 9/21/2019 at 1:24 PM, hiuppo said:

HP disabled it one month before MEGA event in my city - thank you HP. Sending an e-mail is much to more for them. 

HP have been sending e-mails about upcoming changes since January.

This is the one I've got in January 25th:

71216753_OperaSnmkaobrazovky_2019-09-25_194628_mail.google_com.png.777ca5268d2ffe263fae6feea3a98566.png

And this one on July 2nd:

886273261_OperaSnmkaobrazovky_2019-09-25_194820_mail.google_com.thumb.png.08424181c7e195b519f70d2d48134f21.png

Also, Reveal Studio was disabled for creators (owners) in April.. so no surprise about this happen..

On 9/21/2019 at 4:24 AM, hiuppo said:

For all HP Reveal AR cache owner - don't be surprised like me. 

https://aurasma.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205981235?input_string=closed+account%2C+deleted+auras

So - time to move and try to make it again in terrain or archive them all?

Yup, I posted this back in January. However, while I couldn't login to my Studio account after July 1, I was surprised that the auras remained available until just recently. I checked on it occasionally and discovered today that the auras are gone. I disabled my cache and will attempt to recreate the aura using the mobile app. At least I wound up using a very simple aura that can be recreated using the app.

• Helpful 1

Signal or HQ or anyone who can help:

If AR caches are no longer allowed, can we please remove the "Take this Survey" link that we were required to put on our cache page? It's been SOOOO long, and NOT ONE SINGLE response from HQ on the results of the survey. I don't think anyone ever looked at the survey. If they did, why keep it secret?

It's misleading to put a survey link on a page that no one will even look at.

Please announce if we can remove the link. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

If AR caches are no longer allowed, can we please remove the "Take this Survey" link that we were required to put on our cache page? It's been SOOOO long, and NOT ONE SINGLE response from HQ on the results of the survey. I don't think anyone ever looked at the survey. If they did, why keep it secret?

In the term of use 1.a.vii they mention a Geocaching AR app so I guess they have a hidden plan for AR??? But yeah except for a mention that they got good feedback from players (In a podcast? I am not sure) Groundspeak is really quiet on the subject.

Anyone knows what happened with HP Reveal again?

When I try to log in to app I see:

Error

There is a problem with HP Reveal Central. Please check your signal strength  and network settings, and try again.

Link to application: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aurasma.aurasma

Anyway it is not seen in google play store.

-----------------

So the only solution is to archive my cache based on Auras? Or make it again on metaverse platform?

Or just forget about AR experiment?

HP made this announcement at the beginning of this year:

We regret to inform you that after two years of helping people discover and share augmented reality experiences, we are shutting down the business and al of HP Reveal's products. HP is pround of the community that has been built around Reveal and have been inspired by its use across the world.

While it's sad to say goodbye to Reveal, HP continues to put lots of effort into expanding the potential of print, so keep an eye out to see what HP is doing in this space!

Owners of AR caches reliant upon HP Reveal will need to find an alternative AR solution, or archive their cache.

• Helpful 2
On 4/20/2020 at 7:57 PM, Max and 99 said:

As of April 29, 2020, the AR survey was closed, and cache owners are no longer required to include the "Take this Survey" link on their cache pages.

• Helpful 2
23 hours ago, Keystone said:

HP made this announcement at the beginning of this year:

Owners of AR caches reliant upon HP Reveal will need to find an alternative AR solution, or archive their cache.

So what are the other options?

1. Metaverse ?

I'm looking for something similar - but it looks strange:

- ARLOOPA - I see "our clients" but no upload your project option - is there any option to force it for my own content?

- Beaconstac - alternate but how deep? It looks like dynamic QR code generator.

All I need it to trigger AR action on the physical object on the coords.

Any suggestions?

Other apps I see similar:

- Assemblr

- Snap Lens Studio

- LifeAR

Any experiences?

Edited by hiuppo
  • Funny 1

Metaverse is an acceptable alternative; there may be others.  Any AR application must satisfy the following requirements:

• Be available on Android and iPhone (iOS)

• Be free to download and create account

• Allow users to upload their own AR overlays

• Allow location based AR experiences (i.e., play in the field, not from the couch)

• Helpful 1
19 hours ago, Keystone said:

Metaverse is an acceptable alternative; there may be others.  Any AR application must satisfy the following requirements:

• Be available on Android and iPhone (iOS)

• Be free to download and create account

• Allow users to upload their own AR overlays

• Allow location based AR experiences (i.e., play in the field, not from the couch)

When I was forcing my AR's to review long time ago the reviewer statement was "must be geolocated" ;)

If anyone can share its experiences about alternative ways to recreate AR's it would be great.