Augmented Reality Caches

6 hours ago, redsox_mark said:

On my own AR cache, on my iphone, the characters are always the same size.     Same on my wife's Android.   But on a friend's Android, the characters got larger closer to the waypoint.

In the app settings. I think ARKit is only available on newer iPhones (7 or better?). On older iPhones, Legacy is the only available mode.

7 hours ago, redsox_mark said:

But on a friend's Android, the characters got larger closer to the waypoint.

Not sure if this answers the question or not, but while in the experience, tap on the menu (3 dots upper-right-hand corner), and you have 3 choices - ARCore, ARLite, and No AR. With each, the character behaves differently. With No AR, characters are fixed in position and size. With ARLite, they are fixed in size, but tend to move around as you move your device around. With ARCore, they move around and tend to change size as you move your camera forward and back.

3 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

Not sure if this answers the question or not, but while in the experience, tap on the menu (3 dots upper-right-hand corner), and you have 3 choices - ARCore, ARLite, and No AR. With each, the character behaves differently. With No AR, characters are fixed in position and size. With ARLite, they are fixed in size, but tend to move around as you move your device around. With ARCore, they move around and tend to change size as you move your camera forward and back.

Does the same apply to TaleBlazer?

19 minutes ago, icabrian said:

In the app settings. I think ARKit is only available on newer iPhones (7 or better?). On older iPhones, Legacy is the only available mode.

Ok thanks.   My iPhone is a 5s, so Legacy only.   My wife's Android is also an older one (Samsung S5 mini).   My friend who had the variable sized character experience has a new device, the app also asked him to download something else (maybe ARKit).  

2 minutes ago, coachstahly said:

Does the same apply to TaleBlazer?

No. As far as I know, a game maker has no ability to adjust what is seen in the heads-up view. It only shows dots and name for approximate location of the 4 closest characters, a statement of how many other characters there may be, a compass, a button to rescan for characters, and a button to close the heads-up view, all superimposed over your camera's view. No ability to have a cartoon character float across your camera screen.

12 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

I don't see these options on my iPhone (5s).

On 6/22/2018 at 11:03 AM, speakers-corner said:

My mobile / cell phone (Samsung S3) doesnt support any of the apps on offer which means I cant take part. Therefore all AR-Caches will go on my ignore list.

Not sure about the other apps/services, but on the metaverse webpage, you can run experiences on any web browser such as Chrome

2 hours ago, rb9228 said:

Not sure about the other apps/services, but on the metaverse webpage, you can run experiences on any web browser such as Chrome

No, they'll still prompt to open (or download) the app. The experiences themselves can't be run in-app.

So my AR cache was published on Sunday, and feedback from usability is quickly rolling, via message and logs.  I really think that HP Reveal needs some usability tweaking. It took a while to get used to the fact that tapping an aura in the list does nothing except show you the tracking image, and the list is otherwise irrelevant other than to show you what the camera will recognize. "Following" is a weird way to make an aura viewable, but I can understand it if you think not of individual auras, but as auras belonging to a 'campaign' (which can be publicly discoverable or via private direct link) so if you follow a campaign you can automatically see/scan all its auras. They need to make the camera button more universal - people are on different pages not sure at all how to get the scan view to work, since that button is only available on the very top level view...  gah.

And, Metaverse should make launching an external app more seemless. Can't get it work on iOS at all, and the web view blocks some web functionality, like entirely nullifying links that 'open in a new window'. I have to force-tap on the link and slide up in order to get iOS options to do anything with the link including opening it in Safari - then it'll trigger the app load.

Lots of usability feedback to take back to the app devs.

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

So my AR cache was published on Sunday, and feedback from usability is quickly rolling, via message and logs.  I really think that HP Reveal needs some usability tweaking. It took a while to get used to the fact that tapping an aura in the list does nothing except show you the tracking image, and the list is otherwise irrelevant other than to show you what the camera will recognize. "Following" is a weird way to make an aura viewable, but I can understand it if you think not of individual auras, but as auras belonging to a 'campaign' (which can be publicly discoverable or via private direct link) so if you follow a campaign you can automatically see/scan all its auras. They need to make the camera button more universal - people are on different pages not sure at all how to get the scan view to work, since that button is only available on the very top level view...  gah.

And, Metaverse should make launching an external app more seemless. Can't get it work on iOS at all, and the web view blocks some web functionality, like entirely nullifying links that 'open in a new window'. I have to force-tap on the link and slide up in order to get iOS options to do anything with the link including opening it in Safari - then it'll trigger the app load.

Lots of usability feedback to take back to the app devs.

May I ask how long a go you sent it in to be reviewed?

I sent in mine 2 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back yet, so I am now wondering if that is standard, or my cache has been "misplaced" in the queue. :)

The main reason for asking is that I made my AR as the bonus of a series of traditionals, as that seemed to be the best way to incorporate WPs in Metaverse, and wanted to release them at my event last week, which I was glad I did, as I took the QR for the AR cache with me, and was able to help everyone at the event with the app, but that means that they have logged a cache not yet released, and now people who was not at the event have started logging the traditionals, and I am now wondering if I should disable the traditionals, until the AR is released.

There could be any number of reasons why it's taking time. Anywhere from discussion about some content at the highest level of HQ, to a reviewer just being intentionally apathetic about publishing it. Who knows. If you're trying something new, it could a bit longer; reviewers will often chat with each other and share opinions before making a call, knowing that their decision could cause repercussive headaches in the future ;P  Mine was published in a couple of days, but I also made sure it had everything that was needed, I tested it, provided all the information I could for the reviewer, checked a couple of things even before creating the listing, etc.

If you're really curious you could contact one of your local reviewers and find out if they have any insight about the publication schedule. (respectfully, humbly, and willing to step back if you don't get the answer you're hoping for - otherwise you could put yourself in their 'bad books' :ph34r:)

A couple of weeks seems unusually long. Personally, I'd do the latter and shoot a message to a reviewer and find out if there's anything specifically that's bottlenecking the review, or anything I could change to make it approved more smoothly?

33 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

There could be any number of reasons why it's taking time. Anywhere from discussion about some content at the highest level of HQ, to a reviewer just being intentionally apathetic about publishing it. Who knows. If you're trying something new, it could a bit longer; reviewers will often chat with each other and share opinions before making a call, knowing that their decision could cause repercussive headaches in the future ;P  Mine was published in a couple of days, but I also made sure it had everything that was needed, I tested it, provided all the information I could for the reviewer, checked a couple of things even before creating the listing, etc.

If you're really curious you could contact one of your local reviewers and find out if they have any insight about the publication schedule. (respectfully, humbly, and willing to step back if you don't get the answer you're hoping for - otherwise you could put yourself in their 'bad books' :ph34r:)

A couple of weeks seems unusually long. Personally, I'd do the latter and shoot a message to a reviewer and find out if there's anything specifically that's bottlenecking the review, or anything I could change to make it approved more smoothly?

Thank you, that was exactly the information I needed. You sent it in after me, and got it published, so something must be up with mine, either they are debating whether it lives up the rules, or they misplaced it somewhere in their system. :)

I have a feeling they might be discussing the whole "AR as a bonus cache" deal, otherwise I can't see anything I have done different than the ones already published. The AR game and cache description are both in English, and I have made a note on how the AR game works, so I think that is the only thing that can be holding it back.

Will give my reviewers a mail in the morning!

On 7/3/2018 at 8:42 AM, thebruce0 said:

I'm android only, but would like to understand the experience on iOS.  Do you mean its hard to launch the Metaverse app from a link on a cache page when using an iPhone?

16 hours ago, TravelingGeek said:

I'm android only, but would like to understand the experience on iOS.  Do you mean its hard to launch the Metaverse app from a link on a cache page when using an iPhone?

If the link is the one that is intended to automatically open the Metaverse app, then there should be no problem. Whether it's a QR/url for a group or a single experience. If it doesn't open in the app then there might be an issue with the app installation.

My comment was referring to the other direction - using the webview scene in Metaverse, the links are much more sandboxed - I don't know if it's the target="_blank" to open in a new tab/window or if it has to do with the app launching other apps, but some links do nothing when you tap them. In mine the web view links to the launcher url for the HP Reveal aura, but tapping it normally does nothing (people either need to manually type the url in a browser, or force push and get iOS to handle the element).  It's fine they don't show the URL in the scene, that makes the experience more seemless, but they should block functionality; if anything they should provide some form if interception notice (in this case, maybe something like 'would you like to open this link in an external browser?' if it's not a link that just navigates in the same window).

As an owner of 3 AR-caches I am wondering when will we get to know the results/descision concerning the future of AR in geocaching. Will the evaluation of the accumulated data begin at the end of the trial phase (and maybe take another week or so) or will we get the result that day?

9 minutes ago, St.Jocosa said:

As an owner of 3 AR-caches I am wondering when will we get to know the results/descision concerning the future of AR in geocaching. Will the evaluation of the accumulated data begin at the end of the trial phase (and maybe take another week or so) or will we get the result that day?

Looks like it will be sometime on or after September 6th, 2018:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=921

So in the guidelines for augmented reality caches it says:

We suggest to avoid placing AR caches near the location of Mega-Events or other large events, as AR experiences might not work well when multiple people are attempting to view the same AR experience.

But, whaddayaknow, 8 out of 10 lab caches of (of all events!) Going APE 2018 (GC7HJBN) are a Metaverse experience. I guess it really is just that: a suggestion.

4 hours ago, Vooruit! said:

So in the guidelines for augmented reality caches it says:

But, whaddayaknow, 8 out of 10 lab caches of (of all events!) Going APE 2018 (GC7HJBN) are a Metaverse experience. I guess it really is just that: a suggestion.

I will be going and am looking forward to trying them out!

The lab caches you mention won't be violating the Hide a cache 2.20 Help Center rules you are quoting, because those rules don't apply to lab caches. Instead, the rules found at Hide a cache 2.6 apply:

Lab Caches are an experimental cache type. They are often at Mega-Events, and to find out if you might be near a fun Lab Cache experience check out this list.

Because the 2.20 caches are still experimental they can be included as 2.6 lab caches at Mega-events. They will only available during the event, introducing more people to the cache type helping GS with its evaluation.

Edited by Team Christiansen
On 8/8/2018 at 7:20 AM, Vooruit! said:

That page has a link to some Signal the Frog clipart. Didn't notice that before.

That wasn't there when I created my AR caches. Maybe that's an indication GC may keep them around. I hope so. I've made 15 but with the Arizona heat and them being on a trail, not getting a lot of activity after the initial finds. 

It would be nice if GC surveyed the CO's of the AR caches and not just those that went for them. 

Am I just imagining it or did HQ quietly extend the deadline till March 2019? I thought it was about Sept. 6 of this year (today).

Am I imagining that?

From June 06th, 2018 to March 06th, 2019 you can submit a Mystery Cachefor review that requires the finder to use an Augmented Reality (AR) app to find the cache. This is an experiment to see how the geocaching community will use AR technology. At the end of this time period, Geocaching HQ intends to grandfather published AR caches. Any caches published within this experiment may be archived at a later date by Geocaching HQ if circumstances change.

Edited by Max and 99
On 8.9.2018 at 6:45 AM, Max and 99 said:

Am I just imagining it or did HQ quietly extend the deadline till March 2019? I thought it was about Sept. 6 of this year (today).

Am I imagining that?

From June 06th, 2018 to March 06th, 2019 you can submit a Mystery Cachefor review that requires the finder to use an Augmented Reality (AR) app to find the cache. This is an experiment to see how the geocaching community will use AR technology. At the end of this time period, Geocaching HQ intends to grandfather published AR caches. Any caches published within this experiment may be archived at a later date by Geocaching HQ if circumstances change.

absolutely not imagining...

I was in a big hurry to get my AR-Cache GC7X9AZ published just before the deadline....

5 hours ago, Vooruit! said:

@Max and 99, try MetaVerse, you really don't need any tech skills for that one. Mine is very simple, and still very much appreciated.

I used Metaverse for the one AR cache I created (it was fairly intuitive). However, I really like the scavenger hunt type experience like Team Christiansen showed on the first page.  I'd love to be able to create something like that. I got some learning to do. Fast.

I have played several AR caches and created one myself using Metaverse, but I'm struggling to see how the typical "AR" cache is using augmented reality. The experiences don't really interact with the environment and the caches could all have been done as Wherigos. I know that the tools that have been sanctioned for the test were not designed for geocaching and maybe if AR caches become a new, supported cache type, the tools will evolve to fit better with some existing geocaching models such as a multi-cache.

Has anyone played an AR cache that makes good use of augmented reality? Or does anyone have thoughts on what a great AR cache would include?

Yep. Metaverse on its own doesn't really do true AR (tho that's sort of 'no true scotsman') - it overlays visuals on the camera view, which are altered by device's orientation. The app can also use AR Kit and Android's equivalent which does analyze visual frames to recognize surfaces and align to them. So technically it is a form of basic AR.

HP Reveal has tracking image recognition which is certainly a higher level of AR, but takes a bit more work to develop the experience and make sure it works well.

From what I can tell, most of the AR caches out there are basically just glorified wherigos using Metaverse. There's a good amount of HP Reveal caches though.  I'm not sure how advanced some people are getting with the content they're creating, but there is potential. The app developers just need to improve their user experiences a bit more.

My AR uses both Metaverse and HP Reveal (since Metaverse doesn't do tracking image recognition).  Jumping between them was kind of a hack that works a little different between iOS and Android.  Metaverse for the storytelling/scripting, and HP for the "true" AR content :P

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
15 minutes ago, BillyGee said:

and they can (and probably do, even if not by the CO himself) track you.

Wow.

I don't even know how to respond to that. If that's what you're worried about, why are you on this web-based forum?

If you don't like the type of cache, don't do it. Just like most every other aspect of this amazingly diverse and versatile hobby we call geocaching.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Wow.

I don't even know how to respond to that. If that's what you're worried about, why are you on this web-based forum?

If you don't like the type of cache, don't do it. Just like most every other aspect of this amazingly diverse and versatile hobby we call geocaching. 

Wow. So you are equating IP-address tracking (and I may be using TOR, you know) with real-world (position+time) tracking? So you are equating my nickname with my real identity?
One of the AR geocaches I did insisted I make a selfie before giving me the final coordinates. A smiling selfie. Any picture just didn't do it. So, presumably, my picture goes to a server somewhere to be analyzed (if I am happy enough) and stored with precise location, time, phone number and what-not and this is the same as me being known here as BillyGee?

And about the permissions Metaverse requires... Here they are:

This app has access to:
AUs-Fih7eEfuhp-4lYGGK65UvYQ2K6qaKi0dRUipSmiac-QL94IbT-XylwOgMoaYBDLuGOz1l5Yn_K6z1NM=s20Identity
  • find accounts on the device
  • read your own contact card
c5fJsmDZCeHY1tZmeGXL12sHi8herULd72A_egjaAHylmgM-4gLiw4CuDJSzNnK5q8yxAAy4RyxtkdYzcg=s20Contacts
  • read your contacts
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20Location
  • approximate location (network-based)
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
QDYtvjtZon4TYi4-wkvfIqszmmJL258051XdtozjpIZVH-8zVoay1oBS9vw7lzDYYaDz48AzxmOY040lNqc=s20Phone
  • read phone status and identity
pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20Photos / Media / Files
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20Storage
xbP_oGuJ21iG29iVh0p-UIZPzi_fYj8PMYiqDd9-LvaZ_a1tRcwp0I2-arfXvgX9YtfZTTaqwcLRWPNQM_c=s20Camera
  • take pictures and videos
daUjqbSOr2QpaqXS2HQbNzYzzqN2yWGzM_7AZxwFaWLT7_kIhX95HKi_HSpjeeQDOmFMENZxJqblbu_4qg=s20Microphone
  • record audio
U-_SG8pHTsqU_IyZTGQRkVMdLaAUeq1OnKGrB06KHF1z7vkkIQK3iF0HcbfTe1RnGlh-ajnZkbphl2W3Gdk=s20Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
l2htRLV5Mt-RZ6nroJCXy3OF_CqdntOsEetnLEjH1wC-WJWV00R5orcBWj0NMFKJVEQU6JhPYRBCKnj3_Q=s20Device ID & call information

Other
  • receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
  • full network access
  • control vibration
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • install shortcuts

Is there anything that it doesn't require?

32 minutes ago, BillyGee said:

One of the AR geocaches I did insisted I make a selfie before giving me the final coordinates. A smiling selfie.

Billy, you could upload some random celebrity instead of you.

But seriously, selfie requirement is not compliant with guidelines. Please, report it to your local reviewer by posting "Needs Archived" log.

Quote: "An AR experience cannot require a photo that includes a face."

Source: https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=921

The other issues about app permissions are standard for many apps you are using daily. Geocaching App for example. I have no concern about it at all.

42 minutes ago, BillyGee said:

Wow. So you are equating IP-address tracking (and I may be using TOR, you know) with real-world (position+time) tracking? So you are equating my nickname with my real identity?
One of the AR geocaches I did insisted I make a selfie before giving me the final coordinates. A smiling selfie. Any picture just didn't do it. So, presumably, my picture goes to a server somewhere to be analyzed (if I am happy enough) and stored with precise location, time, phone number and what-not and this is the same as me being known here as BillyGee?

And about the permissions Metaverse requires... Here they are:

This app has access to:
AUs-Fih7eEfuhp-4lYGGK65UvYQ2K6qaKi0dRUipSmiac-QL94IbT-XylwOgMoaYBDLuGOz1l5Yn_K6z1NM=s20Identity
  • read your own contact card
c5fJsmDZCeHY1tZmeGXL12sHi8herULd72A_egjaAHylmgM-4gLiw4CuDJSzNnK5q8yxAAy4RyxtkdYzcg=s20Contacts
  • read your contacts
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20Location
  • approximate location (network-based)
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
QDYtvjtZon4TYi4-wkvfIqszmmJL258051XdtozjpIZVH-8zVoay1oBS9vw7lzDYYaDz48AzxmOY040lNqc=s20Phone
pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20Photos / Media / Files
aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20Storage
xbP_oGuJ21iG29iVh0p-UIZPzi_fYj8PMYiqDd9-LvaZ_a1tRcwp0I2-arfXvgX9YtfZTTaqwcLRWPNQM_c=s20Camera
  • take pictures and videos
daUjqbSOr2QpaqXS2HQbNzYzzqN2yWGzM_7AZxwFaWLT7_kIhX95HKi_HSpjeeQDOmFMENZxJqblbu_4qg=s20Microphone
  • record audio
U-_SG8pHTsqU_IyZTGQRkVMdLaAUeq1OnKGrB06KHF1z7vkkIQK3iF0HcbfTe1RnGlh-ajnZkbphl2W3Gdk=s20Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
l2htRLV5Mt-RZ6nroJCXy3OF_CqdntOsEetnLEjH1wC-WJWV00R5orcBWj0NMFKJVEQU6JhPYRBCKnj3_Q=s20Device ID & call information

Other
  • receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
  • full network access
  • control vibration
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • install shortcuts

Is there anything that it doesn't require?

My ignorance of these matters is bliss. Until it bites me on the bum.

40 minutes ago, BillyGee said:

Which one you did? I'm seeing only 9 finds in Bulgaria under your account. Is it fake to prevent tracking of you? Ok, stay safe, no worries.

46 minutes ago, BillyGee said:

https://coord.info/GC7T5NH

See https://coord.info/GLXNZNG8 for proof of my statement.

Thank you for fair post and point. As I explained above, it is not OK to require photo of anyone's face in AR experience. I'd politely highlight this concern to cache owner. AR is new thing and CO probably did not read guidelines properly. Reviewer has almost no chance to catch it during review, just like problems inside Wherigo games.

19 hours ago, BillyGee said:

One of the AR geocaches I did insisted I make a selfie before giving me the final coordinates. A smiling selfie. Any picture just didn't do it. 

Isn't this a rules violation? I thought Groundspeak had changed the rules to disallow CO's requiring posting selphies in cache logs. 

• Upvote 1

I just completed and submitted for review an AR geocache using HP Reveal to overlay my created content on signs posted in a park. The signage changes through the mobile's viewport to tell a story and reveal the geocache coordinates.

I did see some cool non-geocaching things with the Metaverse app. Especially the spheres. However, interacting with floating content to select one of the options is indeed comparable to Wherigo.

I wasn't impressed with TaleBlazer; I played a few "play anywhere" demos but didn't get to see the heads-up display. I did not get the impression that the HUD reacts to anything detected through the camera and provides applicable overlays.

Therefore, I chose to work with HP Reveal because it does dynamically change content detected through the camera. The app itself can be used for a very basic overlay (take a photo with the app and then choose a media overlay.) However, the web-based Reveal Studio editor allows multiple overlays, user interactions and additional features.

HP's Reveal Studio is going out of service

As I finished up my creations this evening, I noticed a message at the top of the page saying that Reveal Studio will retire on April 2nd (I guess not to be taken as an April Fool's joke.) On July 1st, all content created with Reveal Studio will no longer be available. However, content created using the HP Reveal app will continue to be available.

I went ahead and submitted the cache for review, figured I'd get five months out of it. As it is, I wound up using simple overlays that could be recreated using the app if feedback on the cache is positive in the meantime. The reviewer posted this note before publishing:

I will review and list this cache for you. However, as a point of information, the following was shared in our reviewer's forum over the last couple of days:

As part of HP’s continued growth in AR, Reveal Studio is being expanded into a larger offering. During this transition, legacy Reveal Studio accounts will be phased out. Beginning April 2nd, new Studio Aura creation will sunset. On July 1st, 2019, your existing Studio account will retire. You will still be able to create Auras in the Reveal app and scan them as usual. We appreciate your use of Reveal Studio and while this is goodbye for now, more information on the new offering will be coming in 2019. Get ready to see how HP is moving in this space!

• Helpful 1