Geocache on phone transfer to Garmin

Geocaching Support suggested I might find the answer to my query here

Okay, I'll try the forums. But, is this the best answer Geocaching Support can come up with?

I'll restate my original question. My premium geocaching phone app works okay. But for rugged caches I would like to transfer my queries to my Garmin. I would like to transfer data from my phone. I could accomplish this through my laptop computer but what a hassle. Should be easy data transfer from phone to Garmin.

What's your specific phone? 

What's your specific Garmin GPS model?

Which app are you using - the one Groundspeak provides for free to download or s 3rd party app?

Groundspeak doesn't provide technical support for your GPS so I'm not sure why you'd expect them to explain how to get caches on it.

In most cases, it will be tedious to do what you are asking. Since you can load a large number of caches on your GPS, why aren't you doing that ahead of time?  Except for some exceptions, you'll need to export caches as a gpx file and log the gpx file into your phone. 

• Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

It's actually more of a hassle to get your phone to transfer the files than your laptop.

I have my tablet with me on caching trips and holidays but not my laptop <_<

Although I prefer GGZ + POI export from GSAK at home, I can live with GPX exports from my tablet to the Oregon. It just takes a few minutes.

It all depends on the TS' setup of course.

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

I have my tablet with me on caching trips and holidays but not my laptop <_<

Although I prefer GGZ + POI export from GSAK at home, I can live with GPX exports from my tablet to the Oregon. It just takes a few minutes.

It all depends on the TS' setup of course.

I guess I could have specified - it's more of a hassle to set up. Whereas the laptop is ready to go. No extra apps or software needed.

Thanks for all the posting to my question. My phone is a Samsung galaxy s7 running Android 7. 

I really thought it would be a very simple process to transfer lists and geocache locations to a Garmin Oregon 450.

Again, community, thanks for the help.

27 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

I guess I could have specified - it's more of a hassle to set up. Whereas the laptop is ready to go. No extra apps or software needed.

Yes, you can transfer PQs or GPX files without extra software but the same goes for a phone/tablet (at least with Android). Download/unzip PQ and transfer to GPS using explorer (Windows) or filemanager (Android). Laptop uses simple USB cable, for Android an OTG connection is needed. So it all depends on how the OP is set up but it can be evenly easy for different systems.

As a GSAK user I export with a macro from my PC to GPS and prepare the tablet with GDAK by copying (via macro and my own local cloud software) databases/images. In the field or on holiday I can update local caches via API and export from tablet (as GPX).

I feel that setup is very efficient for my workflow but as always YMMV <_<

Bob - Are you using the official Geocaching.com app on your Galaxy phone or a 3rd party app for caching?

What you'd need to do, and ON4BAM (nice call :) ) does this, is produce a file on your phone which can be transferred to the GPS. I don't think the official app does this so you'll need other software, and of course, the caches available to that software, and then once you have the GPX, use a cable that allows your Garmin to connect to your Galaxy phone and look like a drive in the Galaxy's file manager. 

• Helpful 1
5 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

use a cable that allows your Garmin to connect to your Galaxy phone and look like a drive in the Galaxy's file manager. 

Total Commander will move/copy to any "drive" connected to the Samsung. I connect my Or600 via an OTG adapter that I also use to transfer from my camera SD card. GDAK will import PQ's, GPX via API and also import radius around coordinates etc... There are offline maps available and you can log offline (with templates) and upload logs via API when you have data/wifi.

Hi there all who are interested.  I'm in the same situation myself in so far as although I usually pre-load my Garmin Oregon 450 with the local caches before a holiday I invariably still take a laptop for the ride (or flight) just in case the Garmin gets corrupted as has been known to happen, I also take a Galaxy tab 2 for just about everything else so I looked up this thread for some advice as I would really like to ditch the laptop particularly when flying as weight can be issue , Well I can now confirm that using the Tab is just as easy as a windows based PC.   I connected the Tab to my Garmin using a the Micro USB to standard USB adaptor that I think came with a galaxy phone and then connected the standard USB lead supplied with the Garmin to complete the link.  I then downloaded the pocket query to tab using chrome browser, Using the Samsung built in file manager browse the drives and navigate to the GPX folder you require, ( I usually install mine PQ's to the device drive rather than the SD card but not sure it matters, ) and delete the previous PQ's. The only slight issue with the android file manager is the drives have a lesser friendly identifiable name so you have to work out which is which. Then navigate to the download folder and select the PQ zipped files, The file manager automatically gave me an unzip option which I selected, I then selected the unzipped files and used the "move" option to put them in the Garmin GPX folder.  Job Done