Too Many Small and Micro Caches

53 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Our longest walk/toughest to get to hides are mostly ammo cans.   We've yet to meet anyone who does those that bothers with swag anymore.  

One still has most of the same quality stuff I put in it when it was published.  Nine years next month.  I asked one who went there a few years ago if he'd remove all the LED flashlights,  he could keep 'em.

- Just ammo cans fulla swag with no one interested ...   

Having some swag in the ammo can cache doesn't hurt and may actually add to the charm of the experience, even if no one trades anything. 

A few people may appreciate the ammo can for trackable swags. Many of us carry signature items. It's possible those get traded out before an owner visits their cache again so may not realize the value of a larger container. 

Kudos for hiding ammo cans cerebus1.

• Upvote 1

I have to agree that I'm not big on uncamouflaged bison tubes or nano containers, but in my opinion, there's a big difference between those and some of the better micros I've found. Maybe I'm only saying this because of the number of well-camouflaged micros I've found in the past week, but I don't think it's fair to write them all off as inferior. I say this because I've never been one to trade swag in a cache. I'm more interested in the location and the clever construction of the hide than I am in how much stuff I can fit in it. 

The bigger problem for me has been those caches that seem to have been placed with no special thought as to their construction or location. I'll grant you, they're typically micros, but I think that's more because they don't require as much maintenance from the cache owner. They aren't inherently bad, they've just become the unfortunate tool of the guardrail power trail cacher. I don't understand the motivation for placing one of these. The train of thought must go something like "Gee, this sure is a wonderful busy intersection! I'd better commemorate it by cramming a pill bottle in the nearest hole and never coming back!"

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Having some swag in the ammo can cache doesn't hurt and may actually add to the charm of the experience, even if no one trades anything. 

A few people may appreciate the ammo can for trackable swags. Many of us carry signature items. It's possible those get traded out before an owner visits their cache again so may not realize the value of a larger container. 

Most logs state how it's "packed full of goodies!" (the mail box,  we have two regular-sized containers inside) , but they only sign the log.

They all also have log books, but unlike years ago, we now find a single name/date on each line.   :D

- Just not the same hobby anymore...

There's a trackable in one "5T" I can't get to yet (still waiting doc's okay).  It's been in there since '15.  

Thought the owner wanted it there for a reason, asked a year-and-a-half later, but nope.   I've asked others to grab it last year and this.  No takers.

- I'll grab it myself and it'll probably get swiped next cache placed.    :laughing:

12 hours ago, niraD said:

I found an ammo can with lots of nice stuff, including a cell phone with all the accessories, still in the box. Who brings something to trade for something like that? I bring small trinkets to trade for other small trinkets (personal signature items left by other geocachers). I don't bring anything valuable to trade for other valuable things.

B and I found and iPod in a cache once. I had explained to my kids that they couldn't take anything from a cache unless the trade for something of equal or greater value. B says to me "Dad can I have your phone please?" and then proceeded to place it in the cache for an exchange. Needless to say we left that cache with the iPod still in it. Its just another lesson in life for them.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
7 hours ago, Zane and Bianca said:

B and I found and iPod in a cache once. I had explained to my kids that they couldn't take anything from a cache unless the trade for something of equal or greater value. B says to me "Dad can I have your phone please?" and then proceeded to place it in the cache for an exchange. Needless to say we left that cache with the iPod still in it. Its just another lesson in life for them.

To be honest, I never really understood the "equal value" thing. What exactly is worth the value of an old iPod? Five signature items? 20? Worth of small material things is just too subjective. I think putting in a couple items and taking the old iPod would have been fair. I mean, it's finding something in a tupperware in the woods, not buying something from Best Buy.

Edited by SicilianCyclops
  • Upvote 2
On 6/11/2018 at 7:14 PM, TheLimeCat said:

The bigger problem for me has been those caches that seem to have been placed with no special thought as to their construction or location. I'll grant you, they're typically micros, but I think that's more because they don't require as much maintenance from the cache owner. They aren't inherently bad, they've just become the unfortunate tool of the guardrail power trail cacher. I don't understand the motivation for placing one of these. The train of thought must go something like "Gee, this sure is a wonderful busy intersection! I'd better commemorate it by cramming a pill bottle in the nearest hole and never coming back!"

While I'm not a power cache placer by far, I have always however put A LOT of thought and planing behind each cache placement. I've always approached each placement with the thought of what is the largest size cache that I can place and still not have it discovered by the random muggle. 

On 6/11/2018 at 5:24 PM, geodarts said:

Some places are appropriate for micros, some for ammo boxes.  

Very correct, while a micro in the woods might be placed as a cleaver hide, which is understandable when there is a reason behind it. Unfortunately most seem to be placed there only because it a simple cache to place. 

On 6/11/2018 at 3:50 PM, kunarion said:

Based on my own caches, and those I've found, Micros tend to need more maintenance than bigger boxes. Micros have full or soaked logs, broken or lost parts, or they're misplaced or dropped (not put back as hidden or now lost among leaves). Micros are less forgiving of the lack of maintenance than even a small L&L. It's so much extra work keeping a Micro viable, I've upgraded several of mine to "Small" boxes. They still require attention, but don't lose an O-ring on every find. B)

Sadly at one geocaching meeting a fellow cacher said they keep a small assortment of micros and small caches in their bag. They said when they come across a cache that has a DNF before them and they can't find it they just replace the cache where they think it should have been. I could only think personally if one person is doing it them MANY have to be doing it as well.

Edited by PCFrog
  • Upvote 3
3 hours ago, PCFrog said:

Sadly at one geocaching meeting a fellow cacher said they keep a small assortment of micros and small caches in their bag. They said when they come across a cache that has a DNF before them and they can't find it they just replace the cache where they think it should have been. I could only think personally if one person is doing it them MANY have to be doing it as well.

Sadly, many are.

Micros and nanos are small, and can easily be overlooked, espcecially if the camo is well done.  Assuming it's missing because you couldn't find it seems a bit, well, arrogant may be too strong a word but that's what it amounts to, IMO.  A string of DNF's may make it more likely it's missing, but I don't think I would ever presume to replace a container for another CO unless (in the case of a few of our son's hides) we have him on the phone and we are both convinced it's missing and he gives permission.

Finding more than one container at GZ seems to be becoming a common occurrence for us - one an original, one an obvious replacement, either with or without permission.  By reading previous logs, you can infer a throwdown - a few DNF's, then a few finds (with no owner maintenance or any hint of a replacement container), and a logsheet with the newest loggers' names on it, then another nearby container with an original log in it ... 

In other cases there is talk in the logs of a replacment with CO permission, or the CO himself comes out and replaces - and we find both the old and the new container, or sometimes just the original!

With larger caches it's easy to tell if it's missing in most cases.  nano's and micros are more elusive!

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, PCFrog said:

Yeah...  

We're sometimes seeing the "glad to help out" logs lately, which is telling, but then the cut n paste "thanks for placing and maintaining this cache" at the end is too much.   :D

We know one who claims their success-rate is crazy high,  yet found later they're just throwdowners too...

6 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Six of the cache I found today were listed as 'small'.  Five were micros!  Who would call an MKH a 'small'?!?  

I see that so often. I do a double take and a happy dance when I find a small that's actually a small. 

23 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Six of the cache I found today were listed as 'small'.  Five were micros!  Who would call an MKH a 'small'?!?  

I sometimes add to my log "this is listed as a 'Small', but it's a 'Micro'".  That greatly annoys the Cache Owner, but it's not anywhere near as annoying as finding a Micro listed as a "Small"! :mad:

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I sometimes add to my log "this is listed as a 'Small', but it's a 'Micro'".  That greatly annoys the Cache Owner, but it's not anywhere near as annoying as finding a Micro listed as a "Small"! :mad:

Huh... When I've included something like that in my log (along with a link to the size definitions to back up my comment), I haven't seen any annoyance from the cache owner. I have gotten "sorry, I didn't know" comments from cache owners who then changed the size rating of the cache.

On 6/3/2018 at 12:18 AM, Max and 99 said:

I have lots of Ammo can size caches still, but so often people take and take until there's nothing left in the caches so I now I leave a lot less toys for kids. I can fill a cache with nice swag and unactivated trackables and check on the cache and find nothing but the log. Recently my ammo can stuffed with a lot of themed stuff I bought on Amazon was taken. All that swag gone. I can't afford that.

Ya know if it happened 1 time it may be acceptable but it seems that there are many people saying this.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, kunarion said:

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, niraD said:

Huh... When I've included something like that in my log (along with a link to the size definitions to back up my comment), I haven't seen any annoyance from the cache owner. I have gotten "sorry, I didn't know" comments from cache owners who then changed the size rating of the cache.

I've left a "Looking for a small for trackables, found a micro instead" for some time.  Happens mostly with "small" pill bottles.

New COs sometimes send a "didn't know" mail or write it right on the cache page. 

Like kunarion,  with long-time COs, it's about 50/50 whether they say nothing, or send a mail to mind my own (fill in the blank...)  business.

None have deleted my log though.   :)

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I've left a "Looking for a small for trackables, found a micro instead" for some time.  Happens mostly with "small" pill bottles.

New COs sometimes send a "didn't know" mail or write it right on the cache page. 

Like kunarion,  with long-time COs, it's about 50/50 whether they say nothing, or send a mail to mind my own (fill in the blank...)  business.

Six caches found yesterday listed as 'small'.  Five were micros.  Think I posted:  Wow!  Another micro wishing it were small.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I have left a log on pill bottles like "a 'Small' can 'hold a sandwich'.  If you store a sandwich in a bottle like this, never invite me to lunch!"

But it's a cacher friend in town, I saw him often at Events, and he has called me at least once for a PAF.  And he's good-natured, I think I can rib him a leetle.

And he seems to have stopped caching completely.  Probably unrelated to those logs. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Elektrazz said:

Ya know if it happened 1 time it may be acceptable but it seems that there are many people saying this.

Yes. There are a lot of cache owners who have said they stuff their caches and have all that stuff go missing within a week, so they've given up and gone micro. Personally, I don't mind an empty watertight container. I like to leave stuff. An ammo can with nothing but a logbook is surprising, but it's also great for leaving some of my bigger swag items and those trackables that get carried around for months because containers are mostly micros. I don't expect a cache owner to continue to add swag, it's nice when they do, but not necessary. Just providing a dry swag size container let's those of us who like that part of the game, have a bit of extra fun. 

I never stuff my caches. I add a handful of trinkets (maximum $5). Often the stuff is still there when I check 6 months later. In my area, I don't think families with kids participate anymore. But I get comments saying people enjoyed seeing the contents. 

Edited by L0ne.R
  • Upvote 1

I am a mom. My daughters are 5 and 4 and both of them love to cache.  They have their own accounts in fact, although they basically dictate their logs to me; but the five year old should be logging her own on the site before long.  She's got almost 500 finds and the 4 year old has almost 300 finds.  They absolutely prefer to trade trinkets. Micros do not hold that much excitement for them unless the container is interesting. I carry a stash of trinkets around in my backpack for trading; and sometimes if there is a cache that is sad as far as trinkets; I'll put some in.  

I haven't really cached for about a year due to work issues; but we're getting back into it again (started in 2006); and I have noticed that this is a trend that started awhile ago and does continue.  A lot of the larger caches in our area seem to go missing and then the owner doesn't check on them.  I did notice the reviewers used to check and ask owners of caches with a bunch of DNFs if they would go check on their cache and disable it; but I'm not sure if they stopped doing that?

We still have  a great time and make the best of things of course; but it does seem that maintenance of caches has somewhat declined at least... I NEVER replace someone's container for them without permission; but I do like to do things like add more swag, replace wet logs, add a pen if one is missing; etc.  I think that it just makes the find better for the next person.

This is of course a bit rambly and off topic; but even with micros I can do my best to help the next finder have a good experience.  

I think I more responded to the inference by a few posters that people with kids don't do this anymore.... well we do!  

One thing I do note is that all of my caches that are 'smalls' are definitely big enough for tradeable items.  Maybe it's because I started caching awhile ago, but when I started that's what a small was; anything smaller than that was a micro... and the size limits seem to be pushed more often than not nowadays.

Edited by roziecakes
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Elektrazz said:

Where have you all found ammo can size caches the most?  I have 2 I need to hide and would like some ideas!!!

I've found a few in suburban parks. They don't last. Even if the ammo cans are perfectly hidden, most geocachers cannot retrieve and replace an ammo can in a suburban park without drawing attention to what they're doing.

The ones that survive tend to be in more remote locations. Maybe they aren't T3 locations ("more than 2 miles (3 km) on varied terrain"), but they certainly aren't P&G caches.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Elektrazz said:

Where have you all found ammo can size caches the most?  I have 2 I need to hide and would like some ideas!!!

Mine have done OK in a park that closes at night (gated), where there are defined paved trails, and the containers are about 100 feet off trail. There should be a natural hiding spot so you don't rely on leaves to hide it from sight. The farther “into the wilds” and the more rugged, the better. Not, for example, in a clearing or hang-out where teens go to hide and party. Be careful of park spaces that are empty today, but acquire hundreds of people at times. Hide it where it is not trivial to go swipe that cool box.  If it's kind of a chore to hike there for cache maintenance, it might be just about right. ;)

I've found some ammo box hides that are a little more out in the open where the box is chained and locked (code provided on the cache page or it's a puzzle). But the challenge for a CO is finding a spot where those aren't messed with.

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, kunarion said:

If it's kind of a chore to hike there for cache maintenance, it might be just about right.

Interestingly, this advice fits both ways:

Where should I hide an ammo can?

What should I hide in a location that is kind of a chore to hike to?

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Elektrazz said:

Around here they are either waaayyyy out logging roads, or forest roads, or way out in the middle of nowhere.  I had some ammo can hides; but I adopted them out to my ex's new girlfriend after he and I broke up. They were all fairly out in the wilds.  I have found a few in suburban areas, but they did not last. The containers got taken.  I even found one that was chained to a tree once; and it  has since been taken and archived.

I have noticed this too.  My "micro" finds percentage is going up and up, only because that is what most of 'em are now.       There are some good reasons for them (urban, muggl-y areas, and --as in one of my hides-- a desire to make it a special challenge to find.     But, I also have some larger containers out there too,  because I like the  ones with "lotsa stuff in 'em" as much as the next cacher!      In the woods especially, there is usually room for something that will hold some stuf.        The biggest problem, though, is that its getting harder to move TB's along now!       I really enjoy that part of the game, and it has gotten frustrating when I have a large TB that I just can't find a home for, for weeks at a time:)

• Upvote 1
On 6/19/2018 at 2:10 PM, Elektrazz said:

Most of my ammo can finds have been in State parks, on trails, and they are archived every year and new caches placed:

https://parks.ny.gov/regions/attachments/2018GeocacheChallengePassport.pdf

https://parks.ny.gov/regions/attachments/2018CentralRegionGeocachingChallenge.pdf

I did these in 2017 - this is the new list and I am assuming they are similar.

Others I have found that are nearer to home (N. California) are in the woods, off the beaten track, and not visited often.  One exception is GC6MVTC, an ammo can in the 'burbs.  I have hidden 2 that are "regular size" - not ammo cans but will hold as much swag and TB's as an ammo can would.  I like to use them for TB drops and as starting locations for my own TB's.  One is actually marked as a "Small", but it's a BIG small!

What is worse than too many micros and smalls, are micros listed as smalls and smalls listed a regular. Geocaching does have definitions of what a small, etc is, but many people don't bother following this. To me, a cache is not a regular unless it can fit a novel (which an ammo tin could do easily), and a small must be able to hold small trinkets and one or two common sized TBs, otherwise that small is a micro. Mintie tins are NOT smalls!!

• Upvote 3
9 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

To me, a cache is not a regular unless it can fit a novel (which an ammo tin could do easily), and a small must be able to hold small trinkets and one or two common sized TBs, otherwise that small is a micro. Mintie tins are NOT smalls!!

Actually the definitions in the Help Centre are small = 100ml up to 1 litre, and regular = 1 litre to 20 litres. I have sitting on my desk in front of me a 1 litre Sistema (it says so on the label) and a paperback novel, but the novel sure won't fit inside the Sistema.

DSC_0172.JPG.5c9b6e97fc3d25e78613c7aaed36fd7a.JPG

Likewise a 100ml container would be struggling to hold much swag or TBs in addition to the log, maybe a couple of geocoins or something tiny attached to a TB tag, but it's still a small. I agree though that Eclipse tins aren't smalls and most of the ones I've encountered are correctly listed as micros.

Edited by barefootjeff
37 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I see the wording has been changed. Quoting from Geocache from the section where you publish a cache.

Micro: About the size of a film canister or smaller (that sounds the same or very similar to what I read last visit)

Small: About the size of an apple (that's new, as I think last time I checked it mentioned it would hold small trinkets and the like, which I preferred, as that means it will hold most TBs)

Regular: About the size of a shoebox (That's also new, as it used to mention ammo tins. What does shoebox mean? Size 3 shoes or size 12 shoes?))

Large: Larger than a shoebox (Also new. From memory it used to mention a bucket)

Some of these changes to definitions I like less than the old ones. I don't like the changes to the Difficulty and Terrain ratings for instance, as they are now more confusing and less clear. I had one fairly new geocacher arguing her cache's terrain of 1.5 stars was correct,  because the walk was short and flat (true), but the cache was also up a tree. The terrain rating makes no mention of situations like this, as it is more fixated on the walk. Example of one star difficulty is now " Easy to find or solve within a few minutes. " I preferred the old one which went something like (not exact words) In full sight or obvious.

I should have said paperback novel. I was forgetting that hard covers are common in America. In Australia paperback covers are the norm. The size for common ones is about 110 X 180cms. Of cause books can be bigger, but I feel a regular cache should be able to hold a novel of the size I mentioned.

Edited by Goldenwattle
1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

I see the wording has been changed. Quoting from Geocache from the section where you publish a cache.

This link?

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=97&pgid=815

The sizes seem to change.  Maybe it's because of the App with its different terms.  And maybe the App is being used as leverage to change everything again.

The words, such as "Regular" also called "Medium", seem almost designed to maintain confusion.  But as I've pointed out in other topics, to TPTB,  words don't mean things.  Words are fluid.

But it's not just Headquarters.  I posted a log on a cache of a friend of mine who has been caching since the beginning. The container is a soda pre-form.  I mentioned in my log that this is listed as a "Small" when in fact it's a "Micro".  The Cache Owner told me that it's a Small because "you can fit a pencil in it" (um... a golf pencil, maybe).  So don't be surprised if an "apple" becomes a "pencil" in this world of pure imagination.

Going by volume is not so bad.  And right there in the list, a "Small" is at least 100 ml.  No way that's a preform.  Finally, no more tubes and pill bottles listed as Micros.  So at least nobody can complain when I point out that their cache is incorrectly listed as a Micro.  Cache Owners get to fix that.  Cool. B)

==========

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=97&pgid=815

6.10. Cache container sizes

Geocaches come in all shapes and sizes. The definitions below can help you choose the correct size for your cache. The names of container sizes differ slightly between our website and app, but the definitions are the same.

Micro (XS)
Micro containers are less than 100 milliliters. They’re about the size of a film canister, or smaller. They can hold a tiny logbook or log sheet. If a micro cache is less than 10 milliliters, it’s often called a nano cache.

Small (S)
Small containers are 100 milliliters to 1 liter. They’re about the size of an apple. They can hold a small logbook and trade items.

Regular (M)
Regular containers are 1 to 20 liters. They’re about the size of a shoebox. Many of these caches are ammo cans.

Large (L)
Large containers are more than 20 liters. They're larger than a shoebox. Buckets, bins, or even railroad freight cars can be large containers.

Other (--)
Some containers just don't fit into size categories, like a magnetic sheet with a logbook attached. See the cache description for more information.

==========

But the "shoebox" thing, I dunno.  Most of my ammo cans are smaller than a shoebox.

IMAG2308.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On 6/15/2018 at 10:10 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Finding more than one container at GZ seems to be becoming a common occurrence for us - one an original, one an obvious replacement, either with or without permission.

What about taking a picture of each log as you log it? This would help COs should they choose to notice a replacement cache/log and take action if they care to.

5 minutes ago, MNTA said:

What about taking a picture of each log as you log it? This would help COs should they choose to notice a replacement cache/log and take action if they care to.

That's something that I occasionally do.  If there's a log-related issue (all mush or soaking wet, sporadic signatures, mugglesign, or whatever), I post a picture of the log, so the CO has something to work with, if he bothers.  But it's more like a picture of my personal TB that just happens to have the log in the shot. B)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
On 6/18/2018 at 3:31 PM, Harry Dolphin said:

Six caches found yesterday listed as 'small'.  Five were micros.  Think I posted:  Wow!  Another micro wishing it were small.

How many of those pill bottle were throw downs?

4 hours ago, kunarion said:

Other (--)
Some containers just don't fit into size categories, like a magnetic sheet with a logbook attached. See the cache description for more information.

Had to look to see this was indeed in the guidelines now....

I've been under the impression since starting that a container that was a "magnetic sheet" had to include a baggie or something to hold the log behind it.

- But (to me) this seems to say I only need a logbook "attached". 

Assuming they mean "log" as well, as most logbooks would can the reason for using that magnetic sheet.   :)

10 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Had to look to see this was indeed in the guidelines now....

I've been under the impression since starting that a container that was a "magnetic sheet" had to include a baggie or something to hold the log behind it.

- But (to me) this seems to say I only need a logbook "attached". 

Assuming they mean "log" as well, as most logbooks would can the reason for using that magnetic sheet.   :)

Most of our pay phones have the magnetic strip attached to the bottom of the phone with the log glued to it. PBMs Phone Booth Multi's had a loyal following but became difficult to support as many started disappearing. 

On 6/18/2018 at 6:31 PM, Harry Dolphin said:

3 hours ago, MNTA said:

How many of those pill bottle were throw downs?

The magnetic keyholder might have been.  The other four were the original container.

7 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I should have said paperback novel. I was forgetting that hard covers are common in America. In Australia paperback covers are the norm. The size for common ones is about 110 X 180cms. Of cause books can be bigger, but I feel a regular cache should be able to hold a novel of the size I mentioned.

The novel in my photo is a paperback novel, just a smidgen bigger (195mm by 125mm) than the size you mentioned.  The l litre Sistema is about 158mm x 96mm x 66mm, so even your 180x110mm novel won't fit in it, not without shredding it anyway. And for the record, I'm not American either.

2 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

The magnetic keyholder might have been.  The other four were the original container.

2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

The novel in my photo is a paperback novel, just a smidgen bigger (195mm by 125mm) than the size you mentioned.  The l litre Sistema is about 158mm x 96mm x 66mm, so even your 180x110mm novel won't fit in it, not without shredding it anyway. And for the record, I'm not American either.

At times I have at become so frustrated, at finding micros listed as small, that I have logged NMs suggesting the CO amend the size on the cache page. Surprise, surprise, some COs have actually done so. Some do nothing but none have ever reacted negatively. Seems we may be a more tolerant lot Down Under.

ETA seems I messed up the the fluked ones' quotes a little. Sorry

Edited by colleda
On 7/25/2018 at 8:27 PM, Goldenwattle said:

Mintie tins are NOT smalls!!

I once found a mint tin that was a regular size container. It was listed as size "other" though, and the description simply said that it was a mint tin. The fact that it was a regular size container rather than a micro size container was supposed to be a surprise for finders.

It didn't last long though. There's a puzzle nano-cache in that park now, because that's what could survive there.

56 minutes ago, niraD said:

I once found a mint tin that was a regular size container. It was listed as size "other" though, and the description simply said that it was a mint tin. The fact that it was a regular size container rather than a micro size container was supposed to be a surprise for finders.

It didn't last long though. There's a puzzle nano-cache in that park now, because that's what could survive there.

This cache GC5ZK6V, now sadly archived, was the final for a series called "The Stuff of Nightmares'. This was the Final Nightmare, a GIANT mintie in. Those plastic boxes fitted in it for instance, plus all the masks.

On 6/12/2018 at 6:06 AM, SicilianCyclops said:

To be honest, I never really understood the "equal value" thing. What exactly is worth the value of an old iPod? Five signature items? 20? Worth of small material things is just too subjective. I think putting in a couple items and taking the old iPod would have been fair. I mean, it's finding something in a tupperware in the woods, not buying something from Best Buy.

I guarantee you that someone's business card is NOT trading fairly.  ONE good item would have been a fair trade, not a hundred army men.  Kudos to the dad who understood that they had nothing of equal or greater value to trade.

Edited by KitsapScouts
On 6/18/2018 at 7:45 PM, L0ne.R said:

I don't think families with kids participate anymore. But I get comments saying people enjoyed seeing the contents. 

We do, and we've introduced a lot of kids to geocaching.

We skip the micros.  They're NOT fun for kids.  That's okay as long as there are still "regulars" to find in the area.

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, jellis said:

I used to have bigger caches but muggles, newbies who don't know how to play, and over overgrown areas of poison oak make it difficult.  I had a regular size that I had to keep reducing the size to a nano because of muggles.

I get the issue of muggles. I've seen a number of local suburban parks (and other suburban locations) host a series of short-lived small/regular caches, until someone finally placed a micro/nano which survives.

And I get the issue of newbies not trading up or even, and/or taking trackables. Even after I explained trading and trackables to them, I've seen newbies in my care try to do such things. And thus the contents of larger containers deteriorates, so why bother hiding them?

But I don't understand your point about poison oak on cache sizes, @jellis. Can you clarify?