'Covert Operation' Themed Multi Cache involving making a phone call

Hello all! 

I have had a concept for a rather fun multi-cache that intends to take cachers on an immersive experience as if they're following a trail of clues set out by a criminal mastermind! I'm wondering whether the first stage will pass the guidelines though. Basically, at the published coordinates, cachers will find a public phone box and under the phone box's table there will be a small sticker with a phone number and a 'no muggles please' message. This message is mainly just so cachers know the sticker is to do with the cache. Upon calling this number, geocachers will reach a voicemail box featuring a 'disguised voice' that will explain their mission and provide the next set of coordinates. Now, my concern is that the guidelines state 'Caches can not require geocachers to contact the cache owner or anyone else.' This raises a few questions for me as one, I've seen a cache that involves a similar process of phoning a voicemail box on 'geocachespoilers' before (May be a relic from before the no contact rule was introduced) and two, the cachers wouldn't have to contact a physical person, just a number set up specifically for the purpose of this recorded message that would always be accessible. What are people's thoughts on this? And do you think that such a stage would be published nowadays?

Cheers, Bushwalker53. 

You could check with your local Reviewer to see what their interpretation is prior to putting things together, but I've see one or two concepts like this used in a cache design.  As long as the process is automated, and not requiring some sort of input from you after everything is set up, it seems in line with the Guidelines to me.  No worse than say a Beacon cache that utilizes a wifi router or something similar.

I've found multi-stage caches that used recorded messages before. One used a toll-free number that used caller ID and worked only when called from the specific payphone located at the first stage coordinates. This shouldn't conflict with the "no contacting the CO" guideline, since it's an automated outgoing message. And the "no contacting the CO" guideline was in place before those caches were listed.

Of course, there is no precedence when it comes to cache listings, but I think you can get this published.

You still have public phone boxes?  :)

Hopefully there's some hint that I need a phone, so I can ignore this cache. Not everyone uses a phone to cache...

I see your next issue with permission.  Be honest, think you're really gonna ask the phone company for permission?  

JIC anyone's curious, I realize the phone's there, but I won't touch a public phone. 

Edited by cerberus1
  • Funny 1
11 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

You still have public phone boxes?  :)

Actually, I saw a working public payphone recently. I don't remember where I saw it, but it was within the past few months.

But yeah, there was a series of caches here that was located at defunct public phone boxes where the phone was long gone, but the phone box was still there. It was sort of a tribute to a bygone era.

As others have said, I don't think you will have any problem.    Dialing a number and getting automated information isn't "contacting anyone", any more than visiting a website etc.

I did a fun one yesterday, in a working public phone.   You had to go to a web URL and enter the phone number of the public phone box.   Then the phone rang, and when I answered an automated message gave me information needed to calculate the final coordinates.  

• Upvote 1
On 6/3/2018 at 5:46 AM, cerberus1 said:

Hopefully there's some hint that I need a phone, so I can ignore this cache. Not everyone uses a phone to cache...

I see your next issue with permission.  Be honest, think you're really gonna ask the phone company for permission?  

JIC anyone's curious, I realize the phone's there, but I won't touch a public phone. 

Seems like an overly negative response about what sounds like a pretty cool cache idea.  If you don't have a phone with you (seriously, who doesn't these days???) then use the public phone.  Unless you're public-phone-phobic also, in which case I have no idea what you do in emergencies - probably one of those annoying people who wants to borrow a phone off other people... hehe ;)

And why would anyone need to get permission from the phone company?  Do you get permission from the phone company if you PAF? lol

• Upvote 1
On 6/5/2018 at 1:06 AM, redsox_mark said:

I did a fun one yesterday, in a working public phone.   You had to go to a web URL and enter the phone number of the public phone box.   Then the phone rang, and when I answered an automated message gave me information needed to calculate the final coordinates.  

Now that sounds like a really cool concept, and could fit even better in with what the OP is putting together... standing by a public phone box and suddenly it rings, and a mysterious voice tells you to..........

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Seems like an overly negative response about what sounds like a pretty cool cache idea.  If you don't have a phone with you (seriously, who doesn't these days???) then use the public phone.  Unless you're public-phone-phobic also, in which case I have no idea what you do in emergencies - probably one of those annoying people who wants to borrow a phone off other people... hehe ;)

And why would anyone need to get permission from the phone company?  Do you get permission from the phone company if you PAF? lol

Why so rude? 

Using a phone, and placing stickers on their property are a little different, don't you think? 

So I did something mildly similar and actually set it up using youtube... maybe not as unique as what you have planned but nevertheless...

GC737HD - Calling All Secret Agents

The second stage involves following video footage from the first stage to the final which ends up being about 1/3-1/2 of a mile through the woods along numerous branching trails.