Benchmark Viewers

The Snowdog

What online tools do you use to locate benchmarks? I know of the one at https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer; it's clumsy but it does function. For a long time I've used the very nice viewer at http://benchmarks.scaredycatfilms.com/index.php but it's broken again; the state selection drop down box stops at North Dakota (unfortunate, as I live in Oklahoma) and I can find no way to contact them. So what else is out there? What online resources do you use for benchmarking?

Edited by The Snowdog

Scaredycatfilms' benchmark viewer is back online. 

David E., who maintains this terrific resource, wrote to me that " I recently performed a migration to a new server, and despite the claims that it would be easy, it was of course, less than easy."

Sad to say, this is a common story....

But I'm glad the benchmark viewer is back. 

Hi folks, just to follow up on what Art said, I do still maintain the benchmark viewer site.  I recently renewed my domain for another 5 years and as part of that renewal I had to migrate my websites to a new server.  It was not a simple process, but it should have been.  They allowed me to export my old database, but then the new import only took a max file size of 1MB, way too small.  It looked like everything imported, but it must have stopped at New York.  I think I have everything up and running, except for email, but if anything looks wrong, or missing, don't hesitate to let me know.  I do try and pop into the forums once a month, but I usually just lurk these days.

MonkeyCat, thank you for keeping that resource available. I don't do much benchmark hunting any more, but I was just curious about one area and your site is so helpful. I like how you have links both to official NGS datasheets and also informal recovery reports on Geocaching.com, which often have more recent postings. (Although probably not very recent since Groundspeak has made the benchmark search feature basically impossible to find on their site.)

1 hour ago, Wintertime said:

I like how you have links both to official NGS datasheets and also informal recovery reports on Geocaching.com, which often have more recent postings. (Although probably not very recent since Groundspeak has made the benchmark search feature basically impossible to find on their site.)

Have an idea on location?  Enter rough coordinates on search, and all cache pages still have "all nearby benchmarks" under Find...

"View nearby Benchmarks" is still on your profile.  There's a link at the top of these forums for the  Benchmark hunting page.

The  Help Center still has the benchmarking FAQ as well.

Here only a year after you ... curious, what's changed?     Thanks.    :)