Little Free Library - Secret Compartment for Cache Idea

Do you live in an area that doesn't require a permit  to have a Free Library? Around here it costs about $500+ in permit fees.  I brought this up once about how some people own their Free Library, or some businesses, organizations etc.  But I've seen many caches show up in these Free Libraries without asking the owners permission to place them. One in my area a new cacher placed one in a FL and it went missing. She disabled it to get a new cache. After replacing it, it went missing again. Over and over, thinking a cacher or muggle was taking them. I asked the cache owner if they asked the FL owner. The CO never responded back. The cache was archived. I see many  Free Libraries and have been tempted to put caches in them but never did, but with permission I can see how these are great places to go.

Edited by jellis
4 hours ago, jellis said:

Do you live in an area that doesn't require a permit  to have a Free Library? Around here it costs about $500+ in permit fees.  I brought this up once about how some people own their Free Library, or some businesses, organizations etc.  But I've seen many caches show up in these Free Libraries without asking the owners permission to place them. One in my area a new cacher placed one in a FL and it went missing. She disabled it to get a new cache. After replacing it, it went missing again. Over and over, thinking a cacher or muggle was taking them. I asked the cache owner if they asked the FL owner. The CO never responded back. The cache was archived. I see many  Free Libraries and have been tempted to put caches in them but never did, but with permission I can see how these are great places to go.

Many of the caches in FLs in my area state they have permission from the FL owner, or that they are the FL owner. A couple of years ago that wasn’t the case. I wonder if reviewers in my area are now asking COs if they have permission.

A couple of years ago I visited a cache that continually had the cache go missing and when I looked inside the FL, the walls had geocacher signatures on them. I reported the problem in an NA. The cache owner went silent and a reviewer ended up archiving the listing. 

Thankfully the cities in Ontario don’t charge people to have an FL on their lawn. Toronto tried to shut one down after a neighbour complained. That action went viral. They revoked their decision, with a public apology a few hours later.  

Edited by L0ne.R

There is a fee via LFL to have an official one. It was $50 USD last time in looked. I plan to put one on our property. Five hundred dollar city permits.....wow! That's a bit harsh. I think they are a great way to recycle my books and encourage my grandchild to find a new book. 

I've seen caches hidden in a hole made in the post that the LFL sits on, or hidden in a box attached to the outside of the library structure, or in the 'attic' of the LFL that's accessed by a hinged roof that lifts up to reveal the 'attic'

space.

I also found one where the entire back panel of an LFL, accessed from outside the LFL, slides down to reveal a TB hotel.

On 6/7/2018 at 11:24 PM, jellis said:

Do you live in an area that doesn't require a permit  to have a Free Library? Around here it costs about $500+ in permit fees.

What!?  I'm curious what area you're referring to and what locations would require those permits. An LFL placed on someone's property vs an LFL placed on public easements, like planting strips next to the sidewalk.

This is my little free library w/ my geocache, Wiggin's Challenge. From the picture the door is very obvious. However, I have had many experienced geocachers have difficulty locating the hide, and 3 of 29, signed my library guestbook instead of the official log in the Ender's Game container; I have recently noted "Not the geocache log" in the guestbook. From what I have seen, the flow of traffic to the cache comes from the opposite side of the cache, so people are unable to see it right away. Based upon my description of my cache, many possible books it could be hidden in, and having a LFL guestbook, added a small degree of difficulty.  I have appreciated the positive feedback, the increased foot traffic, and meeting many interesting cachers.

lfl.jpg

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Colonel_Graff said:

This is my little free library w/ my geocache, Wiggin's Challenge. From the picture the door is very obvious. However, I have had many experienced geocachers have difficulty locating the hide, and 3 of 29, signed my library guestbook instead of the official log in the Ender's Game container; I have recently noted "Not the geocache log" in the guestbook. From what I have seen, the flow of traffic to the cache comes from the opposite side of the cache, so people are unable to see it right away. Based upon my description of my cache, many possible books it could be hidden in, and having a LFL guestbook, added a small degree of difficulty.  I have appreciated the positive feedback, the increased foot traffic, and meeting many interesting cachers.

lfl.jpg

I love the design of this one. Good job. Lovely roses too.

Edited by Goldenwattle

I have seen a log hidden in a hollow book, placed with the other books in the library. As far as I know there are no restrictions against LFLs in Australia, as long as they are on private properties. I recently discovered a LFL, owned by a country council, placed outside the Council building, painted in matching colours to the office. I swapped books there. I left a Bookcrossing book.

Edited by Goldenwattle
Spelling correction
7 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC9102E_brandy-brook-nook?guid=a241e788-c9aa-48bd-a969-905b7b85f11f
our new one has a secret compartment which is pictured on the cache page. I didn’t want anyone doing damage trying to move pieces of the library...

Very nice! What a great cache placement. And you can even waymark your own Little Free Library since it's not waymarked yet!

I have a LFL with the cache in the roof space, which is wallpapered, carpeted and has furniture, which I though guests should expect when they book into a hotel. Since that photograph was taken, a working clock and a bed have been added. The cushions are for guests. The photograph was taken before most guests arrived. It's overflowing at present. With limited travel, I suspect some people have thought a locked cache (the combination number is supplied) might be a safe place to leave trackables. There aren't enough beds for all the guests and they have to share.

TB Hotel.jpg

Library 11 Oct2019.jpg

Geocaching hotel.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 7/10/2018 at 4:53 AM, Colonel_Graff said:

lfl.jpg

I love the Fairy Door!! I wish more little free libraries had this feature.

Correction. Doors. I just noticed the second one. ?‍♀️

Edited by Max and 99