Mistery caches - corrected coordinates

Hi, When I solve Mistery geocaches I usually update the final coordinates on the cache listing. But I have a problem. When I create a PQ from a determined zone and passe them to my GPS how do I know/identify in the GPS that I've/or not the final coordinates from a Mistery?

Thanks

2 hours ago, HHL said:

:rolleyes:

https://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/creating-custom-poi-files/

Create a Gpx file with just containing the corrected caches. Use that Gpx with PoiLoader. Add an icon with PoiLoader as well.

Use one of the attached zipped icons (unzip it before!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2gkzyo568p3cjo/AttributePoiIcons.zip?dl=0

Hans

Thank you for the explanation. I will try it later on.

I thought there was an easy way to do it.

46 minutes ago, HHL said:

It is easy. ;-)

It would be a *lot* easier if Groundspeak created an icon for caches with a corrected coordinates and displayed it on the map.  Although creating a POI with corrected coordinates then using POILoader isn't that difficult, it's a workaround that would be completely unnecessary if GS implemented a corrected coordinates icon (something that has been requested many times).

• Love 1
Just now, NYPaddleCacher said:

It would be a *lot* easier if Groundspeak created an icon for caches with a corrected coordinates and displayed it on the map.  Although creating a POI with corrected coordinates then using POILoader isn't that difficult, it's a workaround that would be completely unnecessary if GS implemented a corrected coordinates icon (something that has been requested many times).

No, as we're talking about an icon ON THE UNIT. Groundspeak's decision on icons will have no affect what Garmin's unit firmware will show. Right?

Hans

My solution is to never load mystery/puzzle caches on my device except from my "solved unfound puzzles" bookmark list (and its associated PQ). That way, if the mystery/puzzle cache is on my device, then I have the coordinates. If it's a challenge cache or some other mystery/puzzle cache located at the posted coordinates, then I just add it to the bookmark list with its posted coordinates.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
1 minute ago, HHL said:

Pardon my ignorance, what for?

I'm exploring alternatives to do the update coordinates and read about a software, GSAK, that can be used for that. But without having a list of caches and coordinates it is a hard job to do imagining we have hundreds of Mystrey solved

10 hours ago, Team_TAB said:

I'm exploring alternatives to do the update coordinates and read about a software, GSAK, that can be used for that. But without having a list of caches and coordinates it is a hard job to do imagining we have hundreds of Mystrey solved

If you are using (or planning to use) GSAK, it is easy.

I have a database with all local (within a few hours drive) caches which I have not found.   I correct the coordinates on the web site and then go to GSAK and refresh the cache details for just that cache.  This imports the corrected coordinates (after saving the original coordinates) and sets a "corrected Coordinates" flag.  Now I can filter my database to show just caches with the CC flag set.  I can also filter for all mystery caches without the CC Flag set so I can see which ones are still unsolved.

To get the caches in the database initially, you can either import a PQ, use GSAK's "Get Caches" feature or run one of several macros.  I use the "GetCachesOnRoute" macro for most of my databases and haven't used a PQ for well over a year.   Once you have loaded all the caches (particularly if you imported a PQ) you might need to use the "Refresh Cache Data" function with "all caches" option set, to ensure that all caches with corrected coordinates have been properly updated.

Edited by Gill & Tony
Bit more information
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I correct the coordinates on the web site and then go to GSAK and refresh the cache details for just that cache.  This imports the corrected coordinates (after saving the original coordinates) and sets a "corrected Coordinates" flag.

GSAK recognizes the corrected coordinates on the web site? That's great!!! If GSAK flags the corrected coordinates automatically I can easily update the cache name (cache with corrected coordinates) with a symbol (ex. *) and that will identify the cache on the GPS list :). Unfortunately, the icon on the GPS will be the same :(

19 minutes ago, Team_TAB said:

[...] Unfortunately, the icon on the GPS will be the same :(

Yes. The icons on Garmin's units are hard coded in the firmware. But no one stops you creating a new one by combining the Mystery icon with an attribute icon. That IS the new icon.

Btw: The GSAK macro GarminExport.gsk does this (and much more) on the fly whilst exporting. ;-)

Hans

Edited by HHL
  • Helpful 1
37 minutes ago, Team_TAB said:

GSAK recognizes the corrected coordinates on the web site? That's great!!! If GSAK flags the corrected coordinates automatically I can easily update the cache name (cache with corrected coordinates) with a symbol (ex. *) and that will identify the cache on the GPS list :). Unfortunately, the icon on the GPS will be the same :(

That depends upon your GPS  unit.  I use the Nuvi export macro to send caches from GSAK to my Nuvi and caches with corrected coordinates appear on the map as a green tick.  Once I actually search with my eTrex the map icon isn't important.

• Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

That depends upon your GPS  unit.  I use the Nuvi export macro to send caches from GSAK to my Nuvi and caches with corrected coordinates appear on the map as a green tick.  Once I actually search with my eTrex the map icon isn't important.

It's not depending on the type of unit - it's depending on the kind of data you are sending. Geocache-Gpx files always use the firmware's icon whereas Poi files are are able using your custom icons ( and that's unit independable).

Hans

Edited by HHL
  • Helpful 1
18 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

I've a Garmin Dakota 20

5 hours ago, Team_TAB said:

GSAK does, but it only knows they are corrected (and flags them as such) if you use the API.    The information which indicates if it is corrected or not is NOT in the GPX file.   

What I do is:

1.  I correct coordinates on the website

2.  I use GSAK and the API

3.  When sending the caches to the GPS, I prefix all the cache names with corrected coordinates with the character "*".    Then I know which are corrected, and which are unsolved puzzles/multis/etc.

• Helpful 1

Here is another way to handle corrected coordinates:

In GSAK, assuming you have that, select:

VIEW

Add/Remove Columns

Display

Corrected Cords Indicator

Creates a yellow triangle atop new column.

Now you can see, sort or just export caches with

Corrected coordinates.  Hope this helps.  PeoriaBill

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
8 hours ago, PeoriaBill said:

Here is another way to handle corrected coordinates:

In GSAK, assuming you have that, select:

VIEW

Add/Remove Columns

Display

Corrected Cords Indicator

Creates a yellow triangle atop new column.

Now you can see, sort or just export caches with

Corrected coordinates.  Hope this helps.  PeoriaBill

Yep, that's how I mark corrected co-ords in GSAK, works fine for me (I keep a regularly updated  GPX file of all updated/unfounds in my etrex all the time, and have a filter saved so I can run a query for it with ease.  I love GSAK !) Whilst the yellow triangle shows corrected co-ords on the GSAK screen, there is no indication on my gps to distinguish updated co-ords from unsolved puzzles though.  If that is what you want, this may help : if you right click on a cache one of the  (huge!) list of options is 'edit' , and there you can change much of the information as it shows in the database (and therefore exports in the GPX file) . I've not tried it, so no guarantees, but I think you should be able add a character at the start of the corrected caches name , which would then show on your device display.

Beware , that would wreck alphabetical sorting by cache name !

I'f I'm going to mess around with GSAK to try something like that out, I'll preserve my main 'default' database by clicking 'database' , then 'new' , create a new database 'experiment' or something, and drag/drop into it a GPX file I made earlier of a few caches to mess with from 'default' d.base.   That way the default d.base is not affected by any mayhem I may cause , just the experiment d.base  which can be deleted when finished with. 

You can have as many databases as you like,  which is handy when you want a range of caches which is impossible to get GSAK  filter for - I've made ones for all trads in a certain radius, not including ones T5 or with the tree climbing attribute,  plus only solved puzzles/multis, plus puzzles with the word 'challenge' which show the user flag (my way of showing challenges I qualify for, or stand a chance of doing in the future so may as well sign if I'm nearby). Export GPX to the garmin, and I've everything in that area I might go for, and nothing that is way out of my grasp (literally ) . That database can be deleted after use, with no effect on the default one.

Did I mention, I love GSAK ?

• Helpful 1

I love GSAK too!

I haven't tried this yet, but something I have been thinking about doing that might solve part of this problem,

Use the SmartName field, and put a character in the smartname if it has corrected coordinates.  Does that functionality exist?

Then I could send a * to the GPS as part of the name to know that it is solved/corrected.

• Helpful 1