Pre-Historic Sites, where?

12 minutes ago, Torgut said:

I was looking for a category dedicated to Pre-Historic sites and couldn't find one... I am puzzled... how can this be possible? Am I missing something? Ideas?

There is no explicit global pre-historic site category (yet?).

If you are currently traveling Europe, the chances are not bad to have it accepted in Megalithic Monument (it's filed under Monuments, not History). For the Americas, you can try New World Ancient Evidence.

If they do not work for you, you can only try a rail shot over Official Local Tourist Attractions, Wikipedia Entries or the like.

I am asking because I had a Neolithic site submitted to the category Remains of Settlements category and I think it won't find there as well as it should fit a pre-historic sites category. This is not good because I guess the Megalithic Monument category will block any attempt to create a pre-historic sites category. Even if there is a Roman Sites category which I am sure includes many "meghalitic" locations

Remains of Settlements does explicitly exclude archeological sites. I don't think a prehistoric category has no chance, with the reservation of existing older categories taking precendence, you will get rid of the redundancy problem. There is no overlap with the Ancient Roman category, they are History, so the categories to exclude are Megalithic Monuments and New World Ancient Evidence. Maybe In Search of the Celts as well, there can be some overlap (La-Tène is prehistoric in my opinion, the Gauls from Cesar's time are already historic). Are there any more?

In my area, I know a lot of places with documentation of prehistoric artifacts, e.g. bones or flint tools. You can easily find the documentations and you can visit the place. But there is nothing to see today, just a cave or something like that. The artifacts are now in museums, what is on site looks natural. Would these places be included?

11 hours ago, fi67 said:

If they do not work for you, you can only try a rail shot over Official Local Tourist Attractions, Wikipedia Entries or the like.

Just had to comment here! If rail shot means the same in Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera/Svizra as it does here it betrays what has come to be known as a misspent youth.:)

I know this because I spent much of my youth in such a place.

Keith

11 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Just had to comment here! If rail shot means the same in Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera/Svizra as it does here it betrays what has come to be known as a misspent youth.:)

I know this because I spent much of my youth in such a place.

Keith

I was refering to pool billard and what to do when you cannot reach your target in a straight line. This was clear, wasn't it?

When I was about ten, we used to spend a lot of time in the ruins of that abandoned Grand Hotel with a still fully operational billard hall. Those places were not boarded up these days and the adults had better things to do than keeping us away from all those interesting and dangerous places.;)

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that's exactly to what I had hoped you were referring. The one I spent many hours in as a teenager is now gone, sob, sob. It was old and decrepit then and the floor periodically sagged, requiring releveling of one of two of the tables. Cost, 60¢ per hour, chocolate bar and a Coke, 20¢.

Keith

PS - There's also a Rail Shot in squash. Though I doubted it, I figgered there might be a chance you were referring to that.