Topographic Maps

LensaticlyLost

Time appropreate greetings GeoCache community,

I'm planning on treking to geocache locations using traditional maps and compass. I'm wondering if anybody has some helpful information on where I can obtain some topographical maps of regions in California area?

Currently I'm exploring the USGS website and it looks  like I can obtain full 1:24,000 scale prints there. I am also inquiring about the USDA's map database, however I cannot find a store to order prints yet.

Any information or suggestions on this would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Absent any other information (for example, how large of an area you plan to cover), I suggest using the USGS maps.  They are made to fit together, so if you need more coverage, get the adjoining map - there will be no gaps.  They also have a standard legend, scale and scale bar, and true north/magnetic north arrows.  (They are also available in pdf, but watch your scale if you print those on smaller size sheets.)  State and national parks usually have maps, but not necessarily topo, but they do show amenities and parking, and you can work these details with the USGS maps.   Maps from other sources will likely use different mapping conventions.

The maps, whether purchased or printed on your own, can be rolled up into a tube for safe keeping when not in use. 

Watch your declination. 

Joe

Thank you all, for the information so far. I have purchased a USGS map for my city in California, and have also purchased a Suunto MC-2G USGS compass which arrived yesterday. I've also calibrated the declination for my region.

I'll be trekking to my local regional park and practicing with it while I'm there. But I'll also be taking my smartphone's GPS app with me as a fallback if things get too off track.

It's a shame there's no decent topo map for the trails at this park. Perhaps I'll learn how to accurately plot the trails.

Again, thanks everyone

34 minutes ago, LensaticlyLost said:

It's a shame there's no decent topo map for the trails at this park.

Have you checked OpenStreetMap?  In spite of the name, it's great for trails, and becoming better fast.  It's really a database of map info, and many maps are based on it.  The family at http://opencyclemap.org/ are based on OSM and some include contour lines and shading.  Try out your area, and note there's a little widget in the top-right corner to try different map styles.