Cannot upload photos to logs, neither from PC or app

FREDskorpset

For some reason we haven't been able to upolad pictures to our logs while logging or afterwards. This is especially when logging on the computer. We have also attached photos to drafts we make in the app (the official app) while caching. Only a couple of them have been uploaded in the last weeks. We get an error message saying that "something went wrong with the picture upload, try again later". Have tried updated versions of both Explorer and Chrome.

We feel we have been patient, but it's still not working :-)

What can we do?

Thanks for answering! :-)

Edited by FREDskorpset

I've had the same issue for about two weeks. I CAN log one photo from my android phone while making the initial log, but I usually do extended notes and photos from home at my desktop later.  My husband and I each have an account, we use two different computers. I use Firefox, he uses explorer or chromium. Just one day and it stopped allowing photos. I get the same message mentioned in original post. On his, I was trying to upload a profile pic and got a "error 500."   I have several emails / work orders back and forth with headquarters with helpful suggestions like "log out and back in again" or "delete your cookies."  Tried all of it and nothing works. I have sent several screen shots. It was suggested the file name of my jpeg was too long so I shortened it. Same result.  This is very frustrating because I take pride in writing up interesting logs and photos and I'm getting too far behind to do it the way I like.

Thanks for all your answers!

We are still experiencing the "upload issues". I tried opening a new tab, like Viajero Perdido wrote, but nothing happened. Then I tried to open the photo in PAINT (like The Snowdog suggested) and simply saved it. Then I tried to upload the new, saved file and it worked like a charm! Thank you, The Snowdog

But why do we need to do it like this?!? Groundspeak, can you hear us?!? :-D

Edited by FREDskorpset

Are you uploading a full-size (ginormous) photo direct from the camera/phone?  That could be part of the problem, not to mention, you're wasting bandwidth ($) to send a large image that'll be downsized immediately.

I always edit my pictures on the PC to max 640 pixels wide - the most the popup will display, sigh - before sending, and haven't had any problems.

10 minutes ago, FREDskorpset said:

Thanks for all your answers!

We are still experiencing the "upload issues". I tried opening a new tab, like Viajero Perdido wrote, but nothing happened. Then I tried to open the photo in PAINT (like The Snowdog suggested) and simply saved it. Then I tried to upload the new, saved file and it worked like a charm! Thank you, The Snowdog

But why do we need to do it like this?!? Groundspeak, can you hear us?!? :-D

Did the file size change when processed through Paint?  There is an upper limit to what the site will accept.

I usually re-size to 1024x768, 30% JPG compression, which results in a file about 120K in size.  I've also done 800x600 quite a bit.  What size and compression are you using?

4 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Are you uploading a full-size (ginormous) photo direct from the camera/phone?  That could be part of the problem, not to mention, you're wasting bandwidth ($) to send a large image that'll be downsized immediately.

+1

The site re-sizes in unexpected ways.  I almost never allow the site to do that, I re-size them in advance.   There are phone Apps, and PC software.  My preferred software is the free version of "Fotosizer" for  Windows, which does batch processing.

On 3.6.2018 at 10:21 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

I always edit my pictures on the PC to max 640 pixels wide - the most the popup will display, sigh - before sending, and haven't had any problems.

We do what we have done for the last couple of years; take pictures with our phones and upload via the app, or send them to the computer via Messenger and upload from there. We have made no changes to the resoution in the phone cameras, so it's just odd. We are still experiencing the upload issues, but have used the "PAINT2-trick lately, even though it is more work.

I just ran into this problem.

After finishing making creating my puzzle in Photoshop I uploaded it to the cachepage, no problems. Then I realized I wanted to add an Exif comment as a red herring. So I booted the picture up in Irfanview, added the comment and saved it. Then when I tried to upload the image I got this error. I tried renaming the image, even removing the Exif comment again, but still got the error.

Then I google the error and found this thread. Saw what "The Snowdog" posted, and added the Exit comment again, and took it through Photoshop again, and then it worked as intended.

Did any of you use Irfanview to handle your pictures, so that might be what is causing this?

16 hours ago, MAS83 said:

Did any of you use Irfanview to handle your pictures, so that might be what is causing this?

No.  I was taking a photo I saved off Facebook, and it didn't work.  I tried renaming it (in case the long file name was the issue) and reducing it slightly in MS Paint.  It would not load through my desktop.  I emailed it to myself on my Blackberry, saved it to the phone, and then used the Blackberry browser to upload it and it worked fine.

In case TPTB need to see the file (and track error messages that the system generated internally, if any), it's the third image uploaded to this log.

17 hours ago, MAS83 said:

I just ran into this problem.

After finishing making creating my puzzle in Photoshop I uploaded it to the cachepage, no problems. Then I realized I wanted to add an Exif comment as a red herring. So I booted the picture up in Irfanview, added the comment and saved it. Then when I tried to upload the image I got this error. I tried renaming the image, even removing the Exif comment again, but still got the error.

Then I google the error and found this thread. Saw what "The Snowdog" posted, and added the Exit comment again, and took it through Photoshop again, and then it worked as intended.

Was there a difference in file size between the one that worked and the one that didn't?

23 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I cannot upload photos to Messaging tonight. I tried different people. Got out of messaging, back on again to try, and I still can't get photos to send. It shows the photo, but after I hit send the photo is gone.

Just an update that I still cannot send photos thru GC messaging.  The photos show on the page, but aren't being sent.

I had posted earlier about having problems. Well, now I can upload photos and I didn't change anything on my end. However, still cannot upload a photo to change profile picture.  And, I had been messaging some photos to another player and in the middle of the conversation, the photos stopped uploading and I still can't do it there.  After extensive emails back and forth with GS help desk regarding the uploading profile picture, several suggestions were made for me to try. I tried all of them and none of them worked. Then, whoever was helping me tried to upload a profile picture and low and behold couldn't do it. THEN they set someone to look at the programming bug. The last I heard, about two weeks ago, was that they were still working on that.

On 20/6/2018 at 7:35 PM, kunarion said:

Was there a difference in file size between the one that worked and the one that didn't?

Sorry, didn't check that, but can't imagine it could have been much, if any at all, as no changes were made to the image.

I cannot upload a photo in a log or change my profile picture. I last attempted to a couple of months ago to change my profile and couldnt. I was able to upload a pic to logs though.

Now I cannot do that either

When uploading in a log I get a generic something went wrong message but when attempting to change profile pic I get a error 500 message.

I was having the same trouble with my profile pic, it was a short file name and only 61 kb.  I did what one of the prior posters mentioned which was open the file in Paint, and  saved it as a new file name with no other changes or resizing.  When I tried uploading the newly saved image, I had no problems at all. So weird!