Old cacher needs help with GPS

nolefan9399

OK I know this has been gone over a million times and I am sorry for that. I am older but guess I am not wiser. I was out of the sport for 8 years and now trying to get back into it and believe it or not I am not computer savvy. I purchased a Magellan Explorist GC GPS and downloaded a pocket query but now I am lost on how to get it from the computer to the GPS. I need a set up class for dummies I guess lol. Any step by step instruction would help. Thank you

First you should use a cable to connect your unit and a computer. Then the Explorist GC shows up as a mass storage device on your computer just like a USB memory drive. In the folder structure, there is a directory that will have GPX files in it. You can copy GPX files to and from the device. Remember to unmount or "safely remove" the device from the computer when you're done.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Helpful 1

I am having a problem after I download the pocket query to my files. For one I am not sure how to unzip the file and two how to get that info to my GPS. I am feeling kind of dumb here. First time going away from Garmin and using Magellan and it doesn't seem as easy as it used to be. Back in the day I would use GSAK but shoot in 8 years I would think we have advanced from that.

10 hours ago, nolefan9399 said:

I am having a problem after I download the pocket query to my files. For one I am not sure how to unzip the file and two how to get that info to my GPS. I am feeling kind of dumb here. First time going away from Garmin and using Magellan and it doesn't seem as easy as it used to be. Back in the day I would use GSAK but shoot in 8 years I would think we have advanced from that.

GSAK is still the most advanced waypoint manager available.  If you can still use it on your computer, it will read the zipped files into a database.  Once they're loaded into a database, and your GPS is connected to your computer with a USB cable, you can use the GPS/Send Waypoints menu item to send them to your GPS.  You could also use EasyGPS or Garmin Basecamp but if you're already familiar with GSAK  I'd use that.  Since you last used GSAK a new version (8.*) has come out which uses the Groundspeak API, but it's a paid update and the earlier version still works for what you want to do.

• Upvote 1