A site which just CRYING for a cache! :)

Sparrowhawk

Saddle Mountain A spectacular hike which is up-up-UP "switch-back city" to a near-360 degree view which then borders on mind-blowing on a clear day.

I have tried and failed on it twice last year (pre-geocaching). Doesn't help that I have the intentions of a back-country hiker-wannabe and the body of an overfed computer geek.

The first time, I read the "experienced hikers Only" sign, didn't think about hiking boots (DUH!!!) the rain started when I got high up, and I slipped off the trail and got 26 stitches in my right arm at Seaside Hospital. Glad I was only halfway up the mountain... if I had gone close to the summit, it would have been a flying lesson.

The second time, I ALMOST made it, despite my general complete lack of fitness... I got a few nice pics at my site (click on "saddle Mountain'), managed to get to the middle between the two summits of this place, and THEN made the mistake of looking DOWN.

Eeeeek! That tiny little gray square is the PARKING LOT??? And that pixel-sized dot is MY CAR??!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Still... it definitely looks worth it IF you have the fitness for it, though. icon_smile.gif

Sooooo... if you are not vertigo-challenged, and if a truly incredible view and georgous hike is for you, place yourself a nice bragging-rights cache on Saddle Mountain.

Try not to fall off of the darned thing on the way... but if you do, the chicken noodle dish at the Seaside Hospital really ain't bad. icon_biggrin.gif

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

peepwall.gif

I've been up to the top once. That was before geocaching. If I remember correctly, there aren't a lot of good hiding spots near the top. But, it's worth checking out again icon_wink.gif

When I got to the top, I couldn't see the ocean because it was cloudy... But get this... The clouds were BELOW me! It was strange sitting on top of this mountain, with a blanket of fluffy clouds below me. At that time, I had never been in an airplane before, so it was the first time I had seen the tops of clouds. That fluffy layer stretched out for miles in every direction. It was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen.

I have pics somewhere... Gunna have to find them now... Or go get new ones! icon_wink.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45* 30.ish

W 122* 58.ish

We've had 4 (now 5) different people recommend this hike - it's definitely on our "to-do before summer ends" list (it's thundering outside - that doesn't mean summer's over, does it??). Thanks for reminding me about it! We'll be sure to wear our hiking boots, and hopefully not fall off the mountain icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

--Alison

I used to hike this trail 3 times a year to "get in shape" for the big hills in Idaho. Excellent hike, and more excellenter view! You can see the ocean, Olympic Mtn range, Jefferson, St.Helens, and Hood. This also requires the sky to be clear of that fog stuff.

If you go, you are in for a pleasant surprize.

What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup? Anyone can roast beef.

You know I lived in Jewel for a few months working for ODFW on their Coho Salmon surveys in tribs of the Nehalem...never did go over to Saddle Mountain...should have!!!

My friend Jason who lives in Forest Grove, did this hike some years back. It was raining when they started up. Well, they climbed above the clouds! Really, really cool! I saw the photo...looked a sea made of clouds.

This would make an awesome cache so go for it guys! I will come dwon from Seattle to give the box a look.

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk:

I would suggest a well-hidden micro at this place.

Also occurs to me that the first to place this cache would have serious bragging rights. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Sparrowhawk on August 06, 2003 at 08:26 AM.]

Why a micro...how about an ammo box? Or one of htose new great lock-snap tupperware containers. You can plant one that's smallish in size adn will fit in the pack. I've carried ammo boxes for several miles and it didn't bother me. I figure people would prefer a regular size cache at end of good hike.