Send to GPS - Garmin 60CSx

Mountain Moji

It's been a long time since I have been geocaching but my Garmin 60CSx still works well so I'm hoping to take some time this summer and explore the area. I have been trying to catch up on PQs, Lists, Send to GPS, GSAK and the like and I'm feeling overwhelmed. I mean, I can't even remember the lingo of geocaching so I'm not sure how I'm going to figure out how to load my unit. I'm seeing a lot of functionality has been lost over the years so what's the process now, and can someone link me to the best tutorial on the subject? Thanks so much!

Edited by Mountain Moji
6 hours ago, Mountain Moji said:

It's been a long time since I have been geocaching but my Garmin 60CSx still works well so I'm hoping to take some time this summer and explore the area. I have been trying to catch up on PQs, Lists, Send to GPS, GSAK and the like and I'm feeling overwhelmed. I mean, I can't even remember the lingo of geocaching so I'm not sure how I'm going to figure out how to load my unit. I'm

seeing a lot of functionality has been lost over the years so what's the process now, and can someone link me to the best tutorial on the subject? Thanks so much!

Curious, do you plan on becoming a premium member?   PQs, lists, and the like are pm features. 

"Send to GPS" hasn't worked in some time (security issues with browsers).  Because of the age of your GPSr, I don't believe the "Send to Garmin" function introduced last year will work for you either. 

As a basic member you still have GPX files. 

I  enter caches I'll do manually on my 60cxs, and have since starting.  :)

30 minutes ago, Mountain Moji said:

I think I will become a premium member again, only because I'd like to know the size of the cache.

Not trying to steer you, but I simply use a small notepad if doing a number of caches (an index card if just one) and leave a note of size, D/T, and the hint.

- It also gives me an easy option to jot notes of things I see/do along the way.  :)

10 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Not trying to steer you, but I simply use a small notepad if doing a number of caches (an index card if just one) and leave a note of size, D/T, and the hint.

- It also gives me an easy option to jot notes of things I see/do along the way.  :)

Good tip. I have my Garmin out and am refreshing my knowledge of it. I just found my notes on using GSAK, but am going to check out the tutorial and see if any of it comes back to me. I am just so happy to be back at it!

37 minutes ago, Mountain Moji said:

I think I will become a premium member again, only because I'd like to know the size of the cache. I guess I will have to figure all this software out again. I remmeber it being a bit of a long process, but I am not sure I can enter each cache manually. 

Thanks for your replies!

You could check out "EasyGPS" and see what you think, even before becoming a premium member.  You can load a GPX file from a cache page (using the "GPX File" button). EasyGPS massages the file and loads it.  This works a little differently than the old "Send To GPS" did.  But if you become PM, you can load Pocket Queries, GPX files of hundreds of caches at once.

"EasyGPS" specifies that it supports your device with GPX files.  There's software from Garmin called "Garmin Express" that you may use to update the firmware, and in theory, once PM, load caches from "Lists" with a button called "Send To Garmin" (not to be confused with "Send To GPS"). But I haven't found a definitive list of what devices may or may not work with "Send To My Garmin", and of course can't test it myself with various devices.

1 minute ago, kunarion said:

You could check out "EasyGPS" and see what you think, even before becoming a premium member.  You can load a GPX file from a cache page (using the "GPX File" button). EasyGPS massages the file and loads it.  This works a little differently than the old "Send To GPS" did.  But if you become PM, you can load Pocket Queries, GPX files of hundreds of caches at once.

"EasyGPS" specifies that it supports your device with GPX files.  There's software from Garmin called "Garmin Express" that you may use to update the firmware, and in theory, once PM, load caches from "Lists" with a button called "Send To Garmin" (not to be confused with "Send To GPS"). But I haven't found a definitive list of what devices may or may not work with "Send To My Garmin", and of course can't test it myself with various devices.

I just paid and became a premium member. I saw the two options for Send to Garmin and Send to GPS and I will disregard teh Send to GPS feature. Should I use Garmin Express? Is it still functional? Does it work with all browsers? Or should I use EasyGPS?

3 minutes ago, Mountain Moji said:

Good tip. I have my Garmin out and am refreshing my knowledge of it. I just found my notes on using GSAK, but am going to check out the tutorial and see if any of it comes back to me. I am just so happy to be back at it!

GSAK can be set up to load caches directly.  Every time I see a demonstration of GSAK, I'm once again stoked and I re-install it, and soon become frustrated and remove it.  Weird, since I pretty much got the gist of Pocket Queries and "Lists", and pretty much any way to load my GPS.  I even kept "Send to GPS" functioning in several browsers for a long time after it became "broken".

Anyway, if you've kept up with GSAK fees, that may be the way to go.

Just now, kunarion said:

GSAK can be set up to load caches directly.  Every time I see a demonstration of GSAK, I'm once again stoked and I re-install it, and soon become frustrated and remove it.  Weird, since I pretty much got the gist of Pocket Queries and "Lists", and pretty much any way to load my GPS.  I even kept "Send to GPS" functioning in several browsers for a long time after it became "broken".

Anyway, if you've kept up with GSAK fees, that may be the way to go.

I haven't used GSAK in 7 years. Eeek!

4 minutes ago, Mountain Moji said:

[...] Should I use Garmin Express? Is it still functional? Does it work with all browsers? Or should I use EasyGPS?

Garmin Express does not support those old serial devices. I just tested it with my 76CSx. You'll have to use EasyGPS, GSAK, GPSBabel or MapSource for bulk sending Caches to the unit.

Hans

Edited by HHL
1 minute ago, Mountain Moji said:

I just paid and became a premium member. I saw the two options for Send to Garmin and Send to GPS and I will disregard teh Send to GPS feature. Should I use Garmin Express? Is it still functional? Does it work with all browsers? Or should I use EasyGPS?

If you don't mind being a Guinea pig, give "Garmin Express" a shot.  Install it, and allow it to do any necessary software updates.  That's one thing it's good for.

But now you can make "Lists" of one or one thousand caches, hand-picked one at a time, or the result of searches.  Then use "Send To Garmin" from the List page and see if that works.  I don't know, and especially don't know what you will see once a GPX file arrives, even if it works.  Your device is not want is called modern "paperless".

Just now, HHL said:

Garmin Express does not support those old serial devices. I just tested it with my 76CSx. You'll have to use EasyGPS or GSAK or GPSBabel for bulk sending Caches to the unit.

Hans

I just downloaded EasyGPS. If I can't figure that out I will try GSAK but it'll probably eat up the rest of the weekend!

If you don't mind being a Guinea pig, give "Garmin Express" a shot.  Install it, and allow it to do any necessary software updates.  That's one thing it's good for.

But now you can make "Lists" of one or one thousand caches, hand-picked one at a time, or the result of searches.  Then use "Send To Garmin" from the List page and see if that works.  I don't know, and especially don't know what you will see once a GPX file arrives, even if it works.  Your device is not want is called modern "paperless".

I don't mind! I will try Garmin Express and let you know. 

9 minutes ago, HHL said:

Garmin Express does not support those old serial devices. I just tested it with my 76CSx. You'll have to use EasyGPS or GSAK or GPSBabel for bulk sending Caches to the unit.

Hans

Yeah.  That's why I'd like to see a list of devices that are supported by "Send To Garmin" via Garmin Express.  A "CSx" is supported by Garmin Express, and it can update firmware and I guess maps.  But it can't receive GPX files?  That's gonna be confusing for people.

Edited by kunarion
2 minutes ago, Mountain Moji said:

I just downloaded EasyGPS. If I can't figure that out I will try GSAK but it'll probably eat up the rest of the weekend!

If "EasyGPS" isn't what you want, be sure to delete it.  Otherwise, unless you make some special changes, it's the default handler for "GPX" files, and that gets annoying. :cute:

7 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Yeah.  That's why I'd like to see a list of devices that are supported by "Send To Garmin".  A "CSx" is supported by Garmin Express, and it can get firmware and I guess maps.  But it can't receive GPX files?  That's gonna be confusing for people.

"Garmin Express does not support this device. Please use Garmin WebUpdater."

Not exactly sure what that means. 

Installing updates. Gonna reboot. 

Edited by Mountain Moji

"Garmin Express does not support this device. Please use Garmin WebUpdater."

Not exactly sure what that means. 

In that case, you may not get "Garmin Express" to do much for you, as HHL says.

So you're already down to trying other plans.  You can try to get "Garmin Communicator" ("Send To My GPS") running, but prepare for a lot of frustration later (El Predicto predicts it's gonna be real tough to keep it running).  Or run files through EasyGPS.  Or go bone-up on GSAK.

In that case, you may not get "Garmin Express" to do much for you, as HHL says.

So you're already down to trying other plans.  You can try to get "Garmin Communicator" ("Send To My GPS") running, but prepare for a lot of frustration later (El Predicto predicts it's gonna be real tough to keep it running).  Or run files through EasyGPS.  Or go bone-up on GSAK.

The Garmin WebUpdater is not working so I am going to uninstall Garmin Express and related files and try EasyGPS, but I'll porbably go back to GSAK. I do have my notes with special tag info and I think it will come back to me once I dive in. 

I certainly appreciate all the info. I am looking forward to many finds this summer!

I'll porbably go back to GSAK. I do have my notes with special tag info and I think it will come back to me once I dive in. 

Cool!  One thing you definitely need is a way remove old cache data, to clear up space.  GSAK is one of the few things that can handle that.

8 minutes ago, Mountain Moji said:

Should I bother with EasyGPS? 

EasyGPS is free with no nags (but not super packed with features for free).  I was once running GSAK with a wait of 17 minutes every time I changed a setting. I always seem to get GSAK completely scrambled and useless in a matter of seconds B).  I've never actually used GSAK for anything, but have loaded some actual caches using EasyGPS, even made some waypoints from scratch.  So all things equal, I suggest the software I figured out. :cute:

But if you're already familiar with GSAK, or can figure it out, go for it. 

Edited by kunarion
5 minutes ago, kunarion said:

But if you're already familiar with GSAK, or can figure it out, go for it.

You may want to invest some time learning to use GSAK, later you'll save heaps of time using it. I don't think cost should be an issue, I've paid twice since 2006,  a whopping $60 in 12 years or $5/year.

14 minutes ago, on4bam said:

You may want to invest some time learning to use GSAK, later you'll save heaps of time using it. I don't think cost should be an issue, I've paid twice since 2006,  a whopping $60 in 12 years or $5/year.

Okay, so I was able to send a list of 11 caches in my area to my GPS using EasyGPS. Is there any reason I should NOT be using EasyGPS because it seemed, well, so easy. 

Okay, so I was able to send a list of 11 caches in my area to my GPS using EasyGPS. Is there any reason I should NOT be using EasyGPS because it seemed, well, so easy. 

No.  If it works, and you're comfortable with what it provides, go for it.  Cool.   :)

• Helpful 2
21 hours ago, Mountain Moji said:

Should I bother with EasyGPS? 

I would give it a try.  It is pretty lightweight and there is no reason why you can't have it and GSAK installed.  It's much more basic than GSAK but it will allow you to import single GPX files or the output of a pocket query in.  to the app then send those waypoints to your GPS.  I used it many years ago with a Garmin 76Cx which is basically the same as your 60Csx but had a different case and doesn't have the electronic compass.  Although updating your GSAK (assuming you still have the old version installed) will be useful, the old version (7.x) works just fine.  I just used it to download about 1000 caches (all caches in Kenya and about 400 in London) to my Garmin Oregon.  I also saved the pocket queries for those caches to my smartphone for offline use.  

As much as I'm an advocate for using a handheld GPS,  if you've got a decent smart phone I'd look at the geocaching apps available.  The official Groundspeak geocaching apps for an iPhone or Android phones are free, work quite well, and are quite easy to use.  There are quite a few other "official partner" apps that work very well and everyone seems to have their favorite.  

21 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

No.  If it works, and you're comfortable with what it provides, go for it.  Cool.   :)

I agree.  GSAK is much more powerful and offers a ton of useful features but as you said, EasyGPS is, well, Easy and does the job of getting a large number of geocaches from the geocaching site onto a GPS.  

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I would give it a try.  It is pretty lightweight and there is no reason why you can't have it and GSAK installed.  It's much more basic than GSAK but it will allow you to import single GPX files or the output of a pocket query in.  to the app then send those waypoints to your GPS.  I used it many years ago with a Garmin 76Cx which is basically the same as your 60Csx but had a different case and doesn't have the electronic compass.  Although updating your GSAK (assuming you still have the old version installed) will be useful, the old version (7.x) works just fine.  I just used it to download about 1000 caches (all caches in Kenya and about 400 in London) to my Garmin Oregon.  I also saved the pocket queries for those caches to my smartphone for offline use.  

As much as I'm an advocate for using a handheld GPS,  if you've got a decent smart phone I'd look at the geocaching apps available.  The official Groundspeak geocaching apps for an iPhone or Android phones are free, work quite well, and are quite easy to use.  There are quite a few other "official partner" apps that work very well and everyone seems to have their favorite.  

I use the app on my phone but many of the caches are in places where I don't get cell service.

21 hours ago, Mountain Moji said:

I use the app on my phone but many of the caches are in places where I don't get cell service.

Having cell service isn't a requirement for finding caches with a smart phone.  Yesterday I downloaded the results of a couple of pocket queries for a trip I'm leaving on Friday to my GPS and saved them for offline use in the app on my phone.   Once I get to Kenya I can use either device to find some caches.  Once the waypoints are saved for offline use I can even put the phone in airplane mode and the GPS still works.  I've done that in several countries where I didn't have a data plan on my phone.  I'll still use my GPS primarily but have the phone as a backup if necessary.  

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Having cell service isn't a requirement for finding caches with a smart phone.  Yesterday I downloaded the results of a couple of pocket queries for a trip I'm leaving on Friday to my GPS and saved them for offline use in the app on my phone.   Once I get to Kenya I can use either device to find some caches.  Once the waypoints are saved for offline use I can even put the phone in airplane mode and the GPS still works.  I've done that in several countries where I didn't have a data plan on my phone.  I'll still use my GPS primarily but have the phone as a backup if necessary.  

That's awesome. I did not know I could do that. I have a whole area I can now explore without my handheld GPS. Thank you!

It's a common misconception that you need a data connection to go geocaching. I still have to find my first cache while having/needing internet. I sometimes fire up my mobile hotspot to look up something (like a waypoint where you need to recognize a type of plant), spoilerpicture (if I forgot to add it for offline use) or contact the CO but never to navigate to a cache or WP.