Transfer ownership

TheGeocacheFamily

I have a similar question but with a different situation:    There is a cache nearby to me that has become decrepit and not maintained in some time.  I looked up the owner, and it told me the owner had "invalidated their account" --suggesting that the CO has long since left the game...  Here's the question:   This happens to be the very first cache I ever did, so I sorta-feel attached to it... is there any way I can adopt it, with the original CO now just gone???     I would really like to preserve this one!

Just now, andariego said:

I have a similar question but with a different situation:    There is a cache nearby to me that has become decrepit and not maintained in some time.  I looked up the owner, and it told me the owner had "invalidated their account" --suggesting that the CO has long since left the game...  Here's the question:   This happens to be the very first cache I ever did, so I sorta-feel attached to it... is there any way I can adopt it, with the original CO now just gone???     I would really like to preserve this one!

Nope.  Adoptions must start from the cache owner. 

You could wait until it goes bye-bye (if anyone ever placed NM or NA logs on it...)  and place your own in that spot.

Which you'd pretty-much be doing if fixing a piecea carp yourself anyway.    :)

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, andariego said:

Once it is archived, place your own cache there. 

In the description explain why you chose the spot, because it is where the very first cache was that you ever found. Then add the GC code and link it to the old cache. 

If it were my cache, let's say I was in a coma at a hospital,  I would not be at all happy if I came back a year later only to find there are no more caches on my Caches Hidden list.  Groundspeak would hear from me if they gave my listings away. I don't mind if they ended up archived if they fell into disrepair. That's as it should be. But I want to keep the history, descriptions and logs of the caches I have owned. 

15 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Once it is archived, place your own cache there. 

In the description explain why you chose the spot, because it is where the very first cache was that you ever found. Then add the GC code and link it to the old cache. 

If it were my cache, let's say I was in a coma at a hospital,  I would not be at all happy if I came back a year later only to find there are no more caches on my Caches Hidden list.  Groundspeak would hear from me if they gave my listings away. I don't mind if they ended up archived if they fell into disrepair. That's as it should be. But I want to keep the history, descriptions and logs of the caches I have owned. 

I would not expect someone to intentionally close their account, (as the note implied, at least) if they still wanted their cache listings.   ---If I was suddenly ill or had an accident I would never be thinking about my geocaching account *at all* during that time, obviously:)      This user had a basic account so there would not have been any issue of paying the renewal.   I do not know if Geocaching has any policy on keeping basic accounts open that have not been logged into for X amount of time --(like you, I hope not --but I really don't know if it's ever been an issue)    Anyway, TNX for the reply.  Looks like I gotta wait for "nature to take its course" and it gets archived...

2 hours ago, andariego said:

I would not expect someone to intentionally close their account, (as the note implied, at least) if they still wanted their cache listings.   ---If I was suddenly ill or had an accident I would never be thinking about my geocaching account *at all* during that time, obviously:)      This user had a basic account so there would not have been any issue of paying the renewal.   I do not know if Geocaching has any policy on keeping basic accounts open that have not been logged into for X amount of time --(like you, I hope not --but I really don't know if it's ever been an issue)    Anyway, TNX for the reply.  Looks like I gotta wait for "nature to take its course" and it gets archived...

Sounds like nature has taken its course. The cache is decrepit. Place an NM. Post a photo of the cache, it will help verify its decrepitude. In a month if nothing is done by the owner post an NA. If there is already an NM go ahead and post the NA now. 

Edited by L0ne.R
2 hours ago, andariego said:

If the cache owner has an "invalid account", and the cache is decrepit, just log a Needs Archive log with photo of the decrepit cache.

• Upvote 1