Does anyone still do this??

1 hour ago, Meredith66 said:

Do ppl still do this...because in my area the last log was last year. 

Of the couple folks we know who used to do Waymarking,  they've posted waymarks,  but we don't know anyone who heads to them after they're posted.

I believe if it counted towards the Geocaching count as a cache type, it might've become more popular.

- But Groundspeak changed it's viewpoint on what defines a geocache, so like Locationless,  Waymarking didn't fit and it's a different hobby..

We understand that in some areas it's really popular.  Either we're just not one, or no one discusses it at geocaching events I guess.    :)

Waymarking is based on a worldwide community that is relatively small but very active. There are only a few regions in the world with a higher user density: California, Texas (they just had the first Waymarking event ever, a few weeks back), British Columbia, Quebec, the Prague area in Czechia, northwest Germany, and a few more. Everywhere else, Waymarking is pretty much depending on tourists.

We don't have any reliable official statistics, but it looks like the average number of actions on the site per year is very stable. Posting had a peak in 2011, then slowly going down until 2015 to rise again since. It looks like the activity in the US has become somewhat weaker, but this is overcompensated by the increase in other countries.

There are people who only do visits, but they stay silent in the background. I am not aware of anyone of them regularly active here in the forums, but I receive a lot of visit log messages for my waymarks done by them.

Other members concentrate on posting waymarks. They do not care about visits. They don't visit other waymarks and they don't care if theirs are visited.

Most do both, if they can. As an example my own post to visit ratio as about 8 to 1, but this is only because I have visited anything in my home area years ago and I have not been traveling much recently, when I have the possibility I enjoy visiting.

Do not expect a rush for FTFs. This will not happen. Most waymarks will stay unvisited for years. I guess about one third of they waymarks do have visit logs at all, mainly the ones in tourist hot spots. The size and global distribution of the community are only one of the reasons for this, also the Waymarking culture is more laid back and less competitive than parts of the geocaching world. And there are no FTFs anyway, even when you were the first, that does not have to stay. Someone can later log a visit from 20 years ago or more, this is accepted and welcome. And nobody counts or cares anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 6

I actually had 7 locationless geocaches back in the day before Groundspeak archived everyone of them.  My longest log I ever wrote was because of the research I had to do for the burial sites for Civil War Generals.  I chose a general I had never heard of named George Washington Dietzler.  I really seriously started Waymarking in '09 - I got really tired of lifting lightpost skirt covers and trying to sign wet logs.  Why Waymarking?  Well, I have learned a lot about architecture as I write up the different building categories.  I have been to the gravesites of Presidents, of Patriots, of Generals, of the Famous, and the Not so Famous.  I've gotten to waymark ancient pyramids, pioneer homesteads, Victorian homes, Modern Buildings.  ...and yes, even the occasional McDonalds.  Now, to answer the original poster's question, yes, people DO still waymark.  Waymarking is TOTALLY different than geocaching, especially if you started geocaching sometime after 2005 after the locationless cache types were archived.  My suggestion, maybe actually take a look at a category that looks interesting to you and try it.  

Now, I actually like to post visits, also.  I also do a LOT of travelling outside my base area of Kansas City.  Planning those visits of waymarks help to actually plan things to go see in different areas in the country.  

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On ‎26‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 1:48 PM, fi67 said:

Other members concentrate on posting waymarks. They do not care about visits...

Right now I'm also concentrating on posting waymarks and don't care much about visits. Of course I'm very happy when someone writes a visit log saying "wow, thanks for drawing my attention to this spot" or something similar, but for me the main reason for posting is to learn something new about my hometown (Vienna, Austria) and the places I visit.

If you visit a waymark, you just need a photo. You write a visit log and upload that photo and you're done. But if you create a waymark, you have to take more than one photo, sometimes translate inscriptions or signs, find more interesting information, learn about different styles of architecture or history or art or...., provide useful links etc. Sounds like a lot of work, but I have lately learned many things about my hometown that I didn't know earlier, although I have been living here for all the 50+ years of my life.

Another reason for me to post/visit waymarks is that I love to collect icons for my category grids. Depending on where you live some categories will be easier or harder to find and it always makes me happy when I manage to find a waymark in one of the hard-to-find categories or if I manage to post the first waymark in a specific category in a specific country. For example, the first Bookcrossing Zones waymark in Sweden or the first Scenic Railroads waymark in Sweden.

There are many more reasons why Waymarking is "better" than geocaching (from my point of view):

• No minimum distance rule (waymarks are always at the point of interest, not where the distance is big enough)
  • No need to maintain a waymark (there's no container or logbook that need to be replaced)
  • Waymarks last forever. If the subject of the waymark is removed, you can still keep your waymark active and let people know what had been here in the past.
  • The visitors know from the start what they get. Geocachers complain a lot about geocaches ("box to small", "boring spot", etc.) but I never received any complaints about my waymarks)
  • You can filter out categories that you don't like or are not interested in
  • If you plan your next vacation you can find waymarks in categories that interest you a lot and that you most likely wouldn't find in any of the usual travel guidebooks.
  • And finally you can suggest a new category, if you have a good idea. This is quite hard, but if one day your idea has turned into a Waymarking category, you have something to be very proud of.

So, I suggest to visit a few waymarks for a start, then create your own waymarks and step by step you will notice what you like about Waymarking or not.

• Upvote 4

Good reading provided by the above Waymarkers. Very interesting and pretty much in line with our own thoughts and views.

We, too, came to find lifting lamppost skirts and signing wet logs pretty boring. The chance discovery of a benchmark is what kickstarted our Waymarking adventure, back in 2012. We have been going strong ever since, having missed posting at least one Waymark per day just once in the last 2,000+ days (the infamous day of the Groundspeak hiccup). Unfortunately, we sometimes Waymark a little too hard and get a little burned out, but keep plugging along.

Just like the Waymarkers above, we find the hobby infinitely more interesting than Geocaching. It takes one to interesting places and sites, forcing one to learn the history and the stories of one's surroundings as one travels the country. We find history extremely interesting and (most of the time) love doing the research required to post an interesting and informative Waymark. There can be a lot of writing involved in creating interesting Waymarks, something that, as a rule, doesn't deter us. We realize that many more people would Waymark but find the research and the writing just too much of a chore. This is unfortunate, :( but, on the flip side, the existence of fewer Waymarkers means there are more interesting things left for us to Waymark. :)

As the result of a remark about visits (or lack thereof) in the forum quite a while ago, Barb began tracking the visits we've gotten to our Waymarks. She has found that, in recent years/months we average something like 100 visits per month. We have a lot of Waymarks, though, so your mileage may vary. The location of the majority of our visits tends to point out tourist hotspots, as fi67 mentioned. The majority of our visits come from the maritimes - Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick, three of the smallest provinces in the country, but I will point out that a great amount of Canada's early history took place in those provinces. For example, Canada's oldest permanent settlement is Port Royal, today Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia.

As for visiting, we seldom do. As of today we have visited 453 Waymarks, almost all of which we had hoped to Waymark but found them to be done. I believe we have visited several which would have been new categories for us and remain so today. As a rule we pay little or no attention to visiting Waymarks, but love to read the comments of those who visit ours.

Incidentally, Meredith66, what area do you call home?

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
On 5/25/2018 at 4:31 PM, cerberus1 said:

Of the couple folks we know who used to do Waymarking,  they've posted waymarks,  but we don't know anyone who heads to them after they're posted.

I believe if it counted towards the Geocaching count as a cache type, it might've become more popular.

- But Groundspeak changed it's viewpoint on what defines a geocache, so like Locationless,  Waymarking didn't fit and it's a different hobby..

We understand that in some areas it's really popular.  Either we're just not one, or no one discusses it at geocaching events I guess.    :)

...and there is the rub, isn't it?  Trying to make one game be just like the other?  Or is it just the pursuit of getting that other game's numbers up?  I can remember a time when ALL of the geocaches in the State of Kansas could be returned on a map - there were approximately 1500.  Even back then people were complaining about "Micro Spew" - the proliferation of micro containers in really silly spots.  Fast forward 13 years - Power trails where the whole goal is to get hundreds of finds in a day?  Nah, I'll go grab a few geocaches when I'm out of town - I'm now mainly a waymarker. 

As with my geocaching, I get to waymark the way I WANT - I go get those categories that interest me.  I have posted ALMOST 1300 National Register Contributing Buildings, but I also will go explore old cemeteries to go view the art, the history, and the beauty.  I also understand that there are commercial place waymarks, also.  The original thought on these were to build a database to have places at hand to eat and drink after Waymarking and geocaching. 

There is a lot to see when you have your head up from a phone or a GPSr (yea, I'm still old fashioned and I use a camera and a GPSr.)  I realize that my friends from the other game look at us waymarkers as a bunch of crazed rebels - we're really not.  We actually are a bunch of people who really are trying to get back to what geocaching was originally designed to do - to make you think, make you learn, make you appreciate.    Not a whole lot to learn after lifting your 10th Lamp post cover and signing your 5th wet log. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

{...}

As the result of a remark about visits (or lack thereof) in the forum quite a while ago, Barb began tracking the visits we've gotten to our Waymarks. She has found that, in recent years/months we average something like 100 visits per month. We have a lot of Waymarks, though, so your mileage may vary. The location of the majority of our visits tends to point out tourist hotspots, as fi67 mentioned. The majority of our visits come from the maritimes - Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick, three of the smallest provinces in the country, but I will point out that a great amount of Canada's early history took place in those provinces. For example, Canada's oldest permanent settlement is Port Royal, today Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia.

As for visiting, we seldom do. As of today we have visited 453 Waymarks, almost all of which we had hoped to Waymark but found them to be done. I believe we have visited several which would have been new categories for us and remain so today. As a rule we pay little or no attention to visiting Waymarks, but love to read the comments of those who visit ours.

Keith

I confirm you have a lot of waymark in the maritimes to have visited a bunch of them.

But that right that we don't have a lot of player like you said you have 100 visit per month among yours 22 229 waymarks so its only an average of 0.5 visit/waymark/years

My main goal when I began Waymarking in Quebec, where there are around 25 players, was to find the most I can because of a geocache challenge on Waymarking (now archived) but now I try to find the most category (now 712 of 1111).

Its too bad Waymarking isn't user-friendly to help gaining some new players. 

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

I confirm you have a lot of waymark in the maritimes to have visited a bunch of them.

But that right that we don't have a lot of player like you said you have 100 visit per month among yours 22 229 waymarks so its only an average of 0.5 visit/waymark/years

My main goal when I began Waymarking in Quebec, where there are around 25 players, was to find the most I can because of a geocache challenge on Waymarking (now archived) but now I try to find the most category (now 712 of 1111).

Its too bad Waymarking isn't user-friendly to help gaining some new players. 

It appears that you started Waymarking in 2016. With 712 categories visited since then, you're really boogying!! :)

At that rate you should soon run out of categories to chase unless we create some new ones for you.

I wasn't sure I understood your first sentence so I checked - you've visited 39 of our Atlantic Canada Heritage Properties WMs alone, so I assume you've visited a bunch more of ours, as well. From one of your visits I take it that you're a Haligonian now and a proud member of our armed forces - cool!

Actually, at 100 visits per month, our visit rate would be more like .05 visits/waymark/year, pretty tiny. 

In the maritimes we have about 4,200 WMs, so our visit ratio there would be more like .2 visits/waymark/year, still pretty small.

As for user friendliness, I agree, but what are ya gonna do? ... ... We just have to live with what Groundspeak finds the resources to provide.

Keith

17 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

It appears that you started Waymarking in 2016. With 712 categories visited since then, you're really boogying!! :)

At that rate you should soon run out of categories to chase unless we create some new ones for you.

I wasn't sure I understood your first sentence so I checked - you've visited 39 of our Atlantic Canada Heritage Properties WMs alone, so I assume you've visited a bunch more of ours, as well. From one of your visits I take it that you're a Haligonian now and a proud member of our armed forces - cool!

Actually, at 100 visits per month, our visit rate would be more like .05 visits/waymark/year, pretty tiny. 

In the maritimes we have about 4,200 WMs, so our visit ratio there would be more like .2 visits/waymark/year, still pretty small.

As for user friendliness, I agree, but what are ya gonna do? ... ... We just have to live with what Groundspeak finds the resources to provide.

Keith

I actually have a single solitary waymark in Canada.  It is the SwissAir Memorial near Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia.  http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2YVM_Swissair_Flight_111_Memorial_Peggys_Cove_Nova_Scotia 

It is one of my earliest waymarks posted, and to be truthful, I really should redo it.  That being said, it is also probably the most visited waymark that I own.  It's a very simple monument, but very moving and I'm very proud that I got to put it into Waymarking.com.  I'm also happy that maybe, in some small way, I can bring some background to why that granite Memorial is where it is and, most importantly, exactly why.

There is the gist of Waymarking...

Edited by iconions
add URL
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Keith

With the fact that we can use old travel photo it helped me boost my number of category with my holidays in Florida and my high school trip to New York. Also in Quebec we have a waymarker (tatie) that have posted in 860 categories so it helped to boost my number.

But with the facts that some categories are region-specific I will have a hard time to increase my number.

My profile picture would also told you where I am and my job.

Yeah I make a mistake in my calculation (oups) but I wouldn't have believe the result because like you said 0.05 visits/waymark/year is pretty tiny considering that you like churches category and normally I can do around 5 visits/church. 

5 minutes ago, iconions said:

I actually have a single solitary waymark in Canada.  It is the SwissAir Memorial near Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia.  http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2YVM_Swissair_Flight_111_Memorial_Peggys_Cove_Nova_Scotia 

It is one of my earliest waymarks posted, and to be truthful, I really should redo it.  That being said, it is also probably the most visited waymark that I own.  It's a very simple monument, but very moving and I'm very proud that I got to put it into Waymarking.com.  I'm also happy that maybe, in some small way, I can bring some background to why that granite Memorial is where it is and, most importantly, exactly why.

There is the gist of Waymarking...

With 28 visits (including mine) its even more visited than WM1 with 21 visits.

2 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

So YOU'RE the one who stole that!! If I recall, we were able to get the other one further down the road, though.

Keith

Ummm...  This was back when I was still taking film pictures and yes - :P neener, neener, neener....  LOL  Seriously, I'm glad someone waymarked the second part of that Memorial  on the other side of the bay.  My pictures of that side were just not usuable.

One of my favorite categories is Centenarians. I don't care if anyone ever visits those waymarks  -  I know I'm providing an important documentation of those hardy individuals.

As for the others, well, I'd rather not get any visits than a thousand logs that say, "Found while Geocaching."  or "Found it".  Big sigh when I get those visit logs. Say something, ANYTHING that directly relates to the waymarked thing you are visiting.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, iconions said:

Ummm...  This was back when I was still taking film pictures and yes - :P neener, neener, neener....  LOL  Seriously, I'm glad someone waymarked the second part of that Memorial  on the other side of the bay.  My pictures of that side were just not [usable].

Oh, crap!!! I just checked and found out that someone had, indeed, "waymarked the second part of that Memorial  on the other side of the bay" and it was Arvense. We were beaten to both of them by 6 years and 7 years. Oh well, since it was you who got one of them I can live with it, if I have to, I guess.  Think I'm gonna go and visit yours now and add another tick to your counter.

Keith

PS - Oh Crap again!!! Since you live well south of the 49th you're unlikely to get the joke in "if I have to, I guess". It's from one of the best Canadian comedy programs to ever hit the airwaves, Red Green.

14 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Oh, crap!!! I just checked and found out that someone had, indeed, "waymarked the second part of that Memorial  on the other side of the bay" and it was Arvense. We were beaten to both of them by 6 years and 7 years. Oh well, since it was you who got one of them I can live with it, if I have to, I guess.  Think I'm gonna go and visit yours now and add another tick to your counter.

Keith

PS - Oh Crap again!!! Since you live well south of the 49th you're unlikely to get the joke in "if I have to, I guess". It's from one of the best Canadian comedy programs to ever hit the airwaves, Red Green.

It's been awhile since I've watched Red Green - "if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"  I just didn't remember that reference...

On 5/31/2018 at 1:56 PM, iconions said:

It's been awhile since I've watched Red Green - "if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"  I just didn't remember that reference...

doesn't everyone watch Red Green?

Edited by vulture1957
'cause my fat fingers and crappy keyboard don't has spell check
On 5/31/2018 at 11:56 AM, iconions said:

It's from the "Men's Prayer":

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Didn't realize ole Red got exposure that far into the US.

Keith

I waymark and geocache with my family.  Both are fun for their own reasons.  Geocaching is tangible and we end up digging around in more odd areas.  Waymarking just makes more sense in some regions of the world.  I was just in Bangladesh and found the ONE geocache there.  There is supposedly a second one, but it is inaccessible due to construction.  The way Dhaka is, it's not very conducive to geocaching.  However, there are a few waymarks I found and I even added a couple.  Those suit the region better and I think, make people more aware of interesting places to see.  Waymarking is also easier when traveling, as I only need my cell phone to locate and take photos.  I'm not worried if I have a pen, our stamp, etc.

When I am home, I love to hike in the local area.  I end up posting a bunch of waymarks for anyone who ends up in my area.  Like said before, it helps be better understand the history of my home.  We are about to move into a house we bought, which means we have a whole new area for me to hike and post.

• Upvote 3

I am currently in Galena, Illinois on vacation.  I am taking pictures of a town that has some of the most interesting architecture I have seen.  Oh, and by the way, one of the plaques on the outside wall of one of the buildings just happens to mention that the building was originally the site of the Grant Leather Works - the business U.S. Grant worked right before the Civil War with his father.  Ah, the things one gets to experience when out Waymarking!  :)

• Upvote 3

Continuing on with this topic...  
I am going through my pictures from Williams - both Visits and New Waymarks.  There was a waymark for the Neon Sign for the Sultana Bar.  I was able to post a visit.  This building is also a contributing building on the National Register.  Unfortunately, the person posting the neon sign didn't dig further on the building.  It was built in 1912 and is one of the few examples left of early concrete block construction.  The building's basement was a speakeasy during Prohibition and was the site of the first movie theater in Northern Arizona.  I also found out that the basement may be haunted!!!!  Dunno if that was from bad bathtub gin from the Speakeasy or not.

Not too bad for what most people would see as a seedy neighborhood bar.  Again, yes, people still do this and yes, there are really excellent stories out there that can be told because of Waymarking!

DSCN9280.JPG

Edited by iconions
Additional info
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
On 3/11/2020 at 12:23 PM, iconions said:

...Unfortunately, the person posting the neon sign didn't dig further on the building...

No matter. You're gonna fill in the blanks when you do it as "contributing", "haunted", etc. Right??? 

Keith

PS - Your previous post had you in Galena, IL. Been to Galena, KS? I was there once, in 1999. It seems to me that that's where Pickle Jean's is. Or mebbe it was the Frogs Legs place. Or mebbe neither.

PPS - I see you've already done it.

Edited by ScroogieII
8 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

No matter. You're gonna fill in the blanks when you do it as "contributing", "haunted", etc. Right??? 

Keith

PS - Your previous post had you in Galena, IL. Been to Galena, KS? I was there once, in 1999. It seems to me that that's where Pickle Jean's is. Or mebbe it was the Frogs Legs place. Or mebbe neither.

PPS - I see you've already done it.

My daughter graduated from THE Pittsburg (Ks) State University home of the only college Gorilla mascot.  It's about 40 miles from Galena, Ks.  Also, I had plenty of family from the Miami, Fairland, Afton area of Northeastern Oklahoma so this part of the world was my old stomping ground.  All of this area was mining - hence Galena name.  Some of the best fried chicken you have ever had comes from Pittsburg, Kansas, because of the wives trying to support disabled miners back in the 30's and establishing VERY successful restaurants.

...and yes, If'n I can, I LOVE to fill in blanks on buildings - it frustrates me, though, that simple research wasn't done the first time around.  I mean, I'll take a visit as well as a waymark. 

I'm just going to add on to this thread, rather than starting a new one, since this is in the Getting Started section.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not spend a day visiting waymarks, then log "Visited. Didn't have a camera with me." This is a photo-based hobby. You have to take photos!

• Upvote 2
On 5/27/2020 at 8:06 PM, Max and 99 said:

I'm just going to add on to this thread, rather than starting a new one, since this is in the Getting Started section.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not spend a day visiting waymarks, then log "Visited. Didn't have a camera with me." This is a photo-based hobby. You have to take photos!

Let me add this:  Do not tell me that you were geocaching.  

• Upvote 2
On 5/27/2020 at 9:06 PM, Max and 99 said:

Do we delete those visit logs?  No, as waymark creators, we are too hard-done-by.  We celebrate even the lame/fake visit.

Edited by elyob
14 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Many of the visits are for my waymark challenge caches. I carefully worded the challenge cache requirement to state that you must successfully visit..... Waymark. 

I don't consider a visit successful if it doesn't include a photo,  except for the few categories that don't require it. I usually give a week, sometimes a reminder that I look forward to seeing the visit photos. 

So you create a challenge cache (I have no idea what that is, BTW) and then they don't fulfill the requirements because they don't understand "our" game.

You are an evil man...  (or woman, depending on which one of the two of you posted this)

• Upvote 1
On 5/28/2020 at 10:03 PM, Max and 99 said:

We'd have 7,000 less waymarks from hamquilter if I hadn't. NRHP, WPA, Dated Buildings.....

When I first talked to her about Waymarking, she wasn't interested. Didn't have time. But when I published the Waymarking challenge caches, she gave it a try, loved it, and quickly surpassed the number of waymarks I created. Forget about geocaching. She's invested in Waymarking now! 

So, where's she been of late? Haven't gotten any OK Rocks from her in ages now!!

Keith

On 5/25/2018 at 2:33 PM, Meredith66 said:

I just found this site today and it seems really interesting...is it still working? Do ppl still do this...because in my area the last log was last year. 

Have the same problem here! So few waymarkers I have only found a few, but there are a few I would like to find just haven't done them yet. Also wish you could do them through geocaching.com.

23 minutes ago, LeataCharity said:

Have the same problem here! So few waymarkers I have only found a few, but there are a few I would like to find just haven't done them yet. Also wish you could do them through geocaching.com.

If there are few waymarkers in the area, that just means more categories for you to post in!

Also, there is a place on the Geocache page for you to see Nearest Waymarks. for when you want to do visits.

Oh, and you can try Scavenger Hunts. That will give you a list of X waymarks in a XX radius to find.

Edited by vulture1957
  • Helpful 1
On 5/28/2020 at 11:26 PM, Lynx Humble said:

Too bad we can't publish those kind of challenge anymore.

I just got one of mine archived by HQ for a reason that is highly suspect. They cannot provide any details to me at this time, they said. I wish they would have just given me the opportunity to move it since I can't create those kind anymore. 

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

I just got one of mine archived by HQ for a reason that is highly suspect. They cannot provide any details to me at this time, they said. I wish they would have just given me the opportunity to move it since I can't create those kind anymore. 

It's now a requirement that a challenge cache has a web-based checker.  Could that be the issue?

• Funny 2